cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: A letter from Dave on the infamous $40 for 4GB price change

@Korthwrote:

I have to ask ... why don't those people who want the assurance of long-term stability sign onto long-term contracts?  Pay-As-You-Go offers no such assurances.

@Korth@ @  Because CRTC did away with long term contracts. Actually they did away with contracts totally (unless you have a phone subsidy then up to 2 years from that tab) . Another move by CRTC to help but wireless companies now use it to their advantage

jfmartel
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It works both ways. Found a better deal elsewhere... but hey you're locked to another one.

PB offered "No surprise" as you could get the deal as long as you renew. That's a contract.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

So ... enjoying the freedom to keep looking for a better deal (ie, abandon your agreement with the carrier) while also enjoying the security of locking the carrier into your agreement (ie, they're stuck with you until you choose to abandon them).

Total freedom vs total security.  There are upsides and downsides to short-term vs long-term, but you can't simultaneously be entitled to both.

jfmartel

Well PM promised both! Freedom to shop around and price locked.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@jfmartel

But all of the major carriers "promise" the same.  They each offer their own short-term prepaid options to those who are interested.  At generally worse pricing and with more restrictions than the long-term contracts they also offer.

Kattz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

<Big Sigh>

Because we were told that we could keep this promotion as long as we were customers. 

Have we all become so used to being ripped off by big companies no one actually thinks that they should be held to their word?  I'm not accusing you of being a shill but PM does have people in this forum trying to convince everyone that they have the right to get away with this. People were lured away from Freedom just 7 months ago for this plan. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Kattz

If you've read my previous posts you'd note that I agree PM (and Koodo) should be held to account for misleading/deceptive marketing.

Yes, my position is biased, I do support PM - voluntarily, not as a shill - because my experience as a PM customer has (almost) always been positive.  That being said, I'm trying to argue without bias and keep separate issues compartmentalized.  I'm frustrated that so many people here can't understand that because they're (rightfully) angry enough to condemn something doesn't mean they should rampantly condemn everything.  Too many tangential issues are being tangled up to fuel the rage.

The last page of posts alone has attacked the faults of the service model used by PM.  And the faults of the service model not used by PM.  And the faults of the CRTC (CCTS).  And the faults of wireless companies in general.  And asserted that all these faults (and more) are caused by PM.

I get that PM broke a promise, lied (perhaps opportunistically, perhaps premeditated).  That a bunch of customers got screwed, some left PM (or will be leaving PM) and won't be coming back, while those who remain feel betrayed and suspicious of PM's motives.  That's a real and serious issue.  But it's not the source of all evil in the industry, in Telus, in other carriers - those sorts of things are all separate issues which shouldn't continue to cloud the real issue.

Kattz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You're right. I didn't read you're whole thread. The threads are starting to get mixed up in my inbox at this point. 

I think that one of the reasons people are so upset is that Telus and their flanker brands, have been the better companies to deal with up to this point. I fully expect Bell or Rogers to pull something like this off. Telus, Koodo and Public Mobile were our last refuge. Everyone does have some sort of nightmare story with a cell phone company and they're all going to come out now. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

The threads are mixed up because they're actually a variety of semi-related threads which have been merged, lol.  There were too many overlapping (and unproductive) discussions with too many redundant repetitions and half-sided discussions.

pizza

Hey!

So, I went out and bought a Koodo sim card the day I got the message, because, well, I didn't want to have to pay an extra $10/month.

Am I just out the $17+ I paid for the sim, since Public Mobile reversed their decision? I can't return it to Koodo. Should I just switch to Koodo, because it looks like the price will be increasing at some point anyway?

What should I do here? 

Need Help? Let's chat.