Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A letter from Dave on the infamous $40 for 4GB price change

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

I am writing to you today to let you know that we will not be moving forward with a price increase on the infamous “$40 for 4GB” plan ($120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Text + 12GB Data), contrary to the SMS that customers on that plan received yesterday.

After sending out an offer to select customers, we heard your feedback loud and clear: we said no surprises, and we surprised you. While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today. As a brand, we have always been proud of our transparency, and of our commitment to our customers. We are sincerely sorry for any frustration caused and we want you to know that this has been a learning experience for us all.

We have been reminded that you, our customers, are vocal and passionate. We’ve seen how much some of you love Public Mobile and we’ve also seen how many of you like the added value that our sister brand, Koodo, has to offer. To that end, we are happy to say that the Koodo offer that our Public customers on the “$40 for 4GB” plan received still remains available for anyone who wishes to take advantage of it.

Thank you for your continued support,

Dave

809 REPLIES 809

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Hugs29wrote:

WHY DO ALL GOOD THINGS HAVE TO COME TO AN END???

They don't... for now

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am PM already damaged their reputation with this shenanigans. What do they have to lose? There are loopholes they can use to justify their price increase. When they attempt this again, I’m pretty sure they will have something up their sleeves 

koimr1

Like a few others I am gonna request you immediately send a new text out right away. Not everyone is going to come to the forums to see this.

You sent the increase/offer via text; rescind it via text.

Hugs29
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

WHY DO ALL GOOD THINGS HAVE TO COME TO AN END???

convolutionx

@matbasmwrote:

Regardless of the true reason why PM is rolling back the increase, I am totally shocked. I never thought that consumer outrage, mostly on an internal forum, could cause this kind of an about-face.  It truly is remarkable.

Way to go everybody!

Still don't trust them, though...

It was the 2000+ CCTS complaints filed in 30 hours that got them to bend.

TroyDaBes

Good. Finally some sense from the management for what they did. It doesn't make any sense and I'm happy that they reversed it. 

lukevader

Soo all I see is a bunch of whiners in this thread standing on their social justice warrior keyboards thinking that their CCTS complaints actually changed pm's mind. You guys couldnt be further from the truth but I guess we will never know now. I was really looking forward to all you sad sad complainers eating your words that pm didn't do anything illegal. Kinda like mueller had to do today.

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The fact nobody in a position of power saw this coming is amazing. And regardless of the fact you’ve cancelled THIS price increase you’ve likely destroyed your customers trust forever. 

Well done everybody! Way to drive your brand (and Telus’ by extension) into a giant sinkhole!

Hopefully other providers still take the opportunity to scoop up some disgruntled customers!

ToniCipriani

@matbasmwrote:

Regardless of the true reason why PM is rolling back the increase, I am totally shocked. I never thought that consumer outrage, mostly on an internal forum, could cause this kind of an about-face.  It truly is remarkable.

Way to go everybody!

Hardly internal. Look up "RFD effect".

Hugs29

Why do all good things have to come to and end????

convolutionx

Thanks for giving us more time to jump ship. I'll never stay with you guys. Never.

matbasm

Way to go everybody!

saje_ward

That was us too! They took our pre-payment and then dropped the text on us JUST TWO DAYS LATER. That's just a dyck move!

Tallguy11
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@will13amwrote:

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

@Wi11iamwrote:

Thank you for listening PM. 

They're not. Re-read the letter, basically it's: "you win this time, we'll be back with vengeance."

And you think we can't mount the same response next time?  If we are going to score round 1, I would say the customer came out way on top.  The damage control of having to clean up the CCTS mess will take months.  The publicity nightmare will have an effect.

yup u bet the news outlets will pick up on this story!! its david vs goliath

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

@Wi11iamwrote:

They're not. Re-read the letter, basically it's: "you win this time, we'll be back with vengeance."

And you think we can't mount the same response next time?  If we are going to score round 1, I would say the customer came out way on top.  The damage control of having to clean up the CCTS mess will take months.  The publicity nightmare will have an effect.

lukevader

@steelworxwrote:

@Dave_M You better get a text out soon... my family is still outraged and many people we have referred still don't know. Clearly many are planning to leave Telus, Public and Koodo completely over this. PR nightmare on your hands!! Waiting for the CBC story to go live any minute...

This just absolutely made my day. I thought most people here were insane thinking they had a case against pm in court (which they don't) but to actually threaten pm with "CBC going live" Bwahahhahahahhahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahaaaa. sniff sniifff.... too funny... thanks for that 

davidhoward012

So now that we're all staying put - I know someone who wouldn't mind the Koodo offer (still a nice offer) but they were never on PM. 

Could I give them my promo code to use? Basically, would using the promo code force a port?

...asking for a friend (literally).

aeolus
  1. A text message apologizing must be issued immediately. You initiated a bait and switch tactic and the Competition Bureau will most certainly be looking into it. The sooner you issue the apology the better for Telus and those responsible at PM (i.e. so fewer people lose their jobs over this).
  2. A full stop should go out by Koodo and those who have initiating switching should be personally contacted by phone and given the opportunity for a zero hassle return to their old plan with bonuses intact.
  3. Anyone who is going to incur losses from referral bonuses should not incur those losses for those who choose to return. Those who return should not lose thier loyalty bonus.
  4. All Koodo SIM cards bought should be refunded by PM.

Multiple groups of people are in the right to seek damages. PM must take every step on its own to make every account whole.

ToniCipriani

@jpr3wrote:

Edit: what is this "infamous" all about?

Telus got a stern "don't do this again" from Bell and Rogers.

Tallguy11

@will13amwrote:

@CalvinWwrote:

He’s basically saying that the price increase will still eventually take place, but just not right now. That ambiguity is the scary part... 

I don't dismiss a business right to make a profit.  I think next time any increases will be measured and not draconian.  If they offered an escape route for us this time, the same will be available in the future.  We should give ourselves a good pat on the back for a job well done to rebuff the injustice.

they are making a hell of a profit on us as it is..it is not costing them much to keep us as customers.. because of no call center support their profit margin on us is probably the highest out of all three of the brands.. like realisticlally it cost them under $5 per subscriber to have us on the network...

iverge

Dave,

I'm happy that PM listened to their customers and halted the price increase. Having said that, PM has really taken a huge negative hit and has lost goodwill among its customers. Up until now, I didn't have a reason to explore another provider. You best believe I will be paying attention to other offers. 

jpar

@harblhatwrote:

So how are you going to roll out the next price change? Perhaps a $1 increase per month over 10 months? Give your customers 3 months notice instead of 1? 

I have no faith in this company anymore and will simply pack up and move the next time you raise your prices. The damage is done, as others have said. 

I think it'll be just as difficult for them the second time around with the active community base. 

harblhat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So how are you going to roll out the next price change? Perhaps a $1 increase per month over 10 months? Give your customers 3 months notice instead of 1? 

I have no faith in this company anymore and will simply pack up and move the next time you raise your prices. The damage is done, as others have said. 

mg8765
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi Dave

should I take you upon your offer of switching to Koodo, what will happen to my balance and reward $s in my account. will they move with my number as well or will receive credit?

How one would proceed switching to koodo any Koodo store?

Thanks

@CalvinWwrote:

He’s basically saying that the price increase will still eventually take place, but just not right now. That ambiguity is the scary part... 

I don't dismiss a business right to make a profit.  I think next time any increases will be measured and not draconian.  If they offered an escape route for us this time, the same will be available in the future.  We should give ourselves a good pat on the back for a job well done to rebuff the injustice.

jpar

Even so, it saved us all a lot of headache and trouble by being remedied proactively. 

ceecee

While I’m happy that I no longer have to switch plans, I know this move by Public Mobile is just so they don’t have to deal with the numerous CCTS complaints.  As long as the proposed changes haven’t come into effect CCTS won’t even assess the complaints because it never happened.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

What a joke has nothing to do with community they just want to avoid further CCTS complaints.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...

Tallguy11

@ToniCiprianiwrote:

@Wi11iamwrote:

and then we will speak with our wallets and leave... not to mention the really bad PR this would create for telus on top of the already bad PR they are trying to fix...

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@IWIKwrote:

Although I'm extremely pleased that I won't have to switch right now. It is certainly an eye opener about what may come in the future with Public Mobile

@IWIK yes this sums it up nicely.

@Dave_M thank you for listening to the feedback.  It is appreciated.  It's going to take some time to heal.  I expect some will still leave, out of principle, and I don't blame them at all.  I don't plan on going anywhere... for now... though as you referenced: all good things do eventually come to an end.  I'm happy that you have chosen to honour, for now at least, the spirit of the original offer which essentially stated or heavily implied it was indefinite.  I will continue to do my part with my continued patronage and benefit of the doubt (the latter of which has been severely tested over the past 12 or 13 months), as it of as much benefit to me as it is to Public Mobile.  Should that symbiotic balance change at a future date, I will re-evaluate.  But for now, I'm happy to stay where I am.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.