Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Letter from Dave: Looking back on 2019 and our 2020 goals

Dave_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community, 

As we enter the final month of the year (and decade!) I wanted to take the time to reflect on what a year it’s been. I also wanted to thank you all for another great year. Public Mobile could not be where it is today without you, our customers. 

We kicked off the year focused on your wishlist from 2018

• Faster Moderator response times
  • Improved ticketing process
  • Additional goodness from SIMon

Since last year, we’ve beefed up our Community support and brought response times down from days to minutes, getting you connected to Moderators faster. Our virtual assistant SIMon is also now better equipped to support you: SIMon has resolved 70% of all issues without needing a Moderator, and houses our new streamlined ticketing process, which helps you get better and faster support. All this progress wouldn’t be possible without you, our passionate Community. Thank you to those who have helped us identify these issues, test our systems, and provide feedback. While this progress is good, our journey is far from over. I encourage you to continue to provide feedback to help us build a better service for you.  

We recognize that you are at the heart of everything we do, which is why we’ve refocused our brand promise. Our new motto “we’re for you” isn’t just for looks, we want to make sure you’re at the center of our systems, promotions, and even campaigns. We’ve been putting that into action, from free data giveaways to our #PublicMobilePDA campaign, where we broadcast the things you love on billboards across Canada! 

But 2019 wasn’t all rosy. Earlier this year many of you experienced issues with your service because, frankly, our systems just weren’t good enough. In August, we made significant improvements to ensure that this didn’t happen again. Part of this required removing our Build Your Own Plan Calculator. This wasn’t an easy decision, and we know that many of you enjoyed the flexibility of the calculator. We’ve heard that feedback and are planning to introduce some enhancements to our plans in the coming year because of it. At the end of the day, having reliable service is just table stakes, and we want to make Public Mobile the best it can be for you. We have made improvements over the last year, but we’re not done yet. 

As we continue to focus on our customers and what you want, in 2020 we’re focusing on a wishlist of things you have asked for: 

• A simpler and mobile-friendly self serve experience
  • Promotions and programs that benefit you, our valued customers
  • Continuing to ensure that our systems are best-in-class and improving the experience you have when you need to get help 
  • An enhanced Community that is easier to use and more engaging 

As we work on this wishlist in the new year, we want to do so with more transparency. Our goal is to keep you more informed on the decisions we make and why we make them. 

But, before we kick of 2020, I want to take a moment to sincerely thank you for being a loyal Public Mobile customers and a valued member of the Community. Last year, we were #LessForLess, but now we’re for you.  As December is the season of giving, we wanted to show you (in addition to telling you) how much we appreciate all you do. Make sure to check back on the Community this coming Wednesday, December 4th for a special announcement about some free gifts coming your way. 

Sincerely, 

Dave

171 REPLIES 171

@Korth 

Good observations from a fairly long term customer. I've only been around for just over one year now.

Cell providers in Canada are becoming more competitive overall having made significant improvements again this year. This can't help but make second and especially third tier providers look less amazing. I look forward to seeing what changes PM makes this coming year and beyond.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector

I agree in thinking that things are improving. Mostly.

I've seen some things improve here over the years (Canada-wide and Unlimited Talk/Text cheaper than ever before).

I've seen some things become worse here in recent years (Build Your Own Plan and 90-day Plans gone, fewer active Mods).

I've seen some things which really don't seem to have much lasting impact (botched promos, kneejerk promos, Simon) - that is, they were "okay" but flawed before, they promise to plow forward with being just as "okay" and flawed in the future. 

And I've seen some things which (I think) should be "easy" to fix (like broken AutoPay because bad AVS parameters) which continue to frustrate some customers into leaving every single month.

I think PM's DIY "online-only" service model was wonderfully innovative a few years ago but it's becoming standard fare from all of PM's competitors today (while, ironically, PM is starting to evolve towards more of the "vendor supported" face-to-face customer service which others are beginning to pull away from). To me this suggests combined successes from mixing both approaches have greater potential than the single success achievable at either extreme. But it also erodes some of what used to make PM stand apart from the competition... and PM hasn't attempted to do anything compelling to stand apart from them again, so it's already losing (or lost) it's competitive edge.

One thing I can say has gotten much worse: it used to be easy to effortlessly score referrals because PM was just so much more awesome than the alternatives, now it's quite difficult to score referrals because PM has become "meh" while everyone else has pulled ahead.

@Korth 

For sure. It always amazes me how (apparently) little research some people do before taking the plunge and then they arrive quickly on the community with all the WTF questions. I guess it really stands out to me since I check, double check then do even more research before jumping in.

And for sure PM has had repetitive communication glitches. It IS beginning to look as though one of the constant ones from the past has left the building though. That was the promos that were EITHER Dealer Activation Only -or- Online Activation Only (which in my mind couldn't have been a much more confusing way to say "Do it Yourself at Home Activation". "The guy at Walmart DID DO IT ONLINE, I WATCHED HIM!"

For the last several promos it hasn't mattered how you activated though some still seemed to start out with confusing wording to that effect. Bottom line is, I think things are improving!

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector @darlicious

Those sorts of confusions and misunderstandings from new customers - especially on promo details - are all too common.

To me this suggests PM hasn't consistently communicated the details effectively.

I think it's evident that the majority of PM customers never bother to visit the PM Community - or, if they do, it's only when they need to complain about and/or fix a problem. So I don't think the PM Community is really an effective communication tool in terms of keeping customers informed.

I think it's likely that many or most customers never bother to read the fine print (Terms of Service, Plan details, etc) and hardly bother to login to their Self-Serve with much frequency. Just to pay their bill (if no AutoPay) and maybe check how many minutes/megabytes they have left before they logout again, they don't get very excited about browsing Self-Serve unless there's some kind of problem somewhere. So even though these are the most reliable customer interfaces in theory they aren't so useful in practice. 

Yes, customers do have some "motivation" and an "obligation" to keep themselves informed. But the reality is that many don't do it and sometimes don't even know how to do it. PM usually isn't at fault for failed one-way communications. But PM always is the one blamed in the end. Which means lost customers, lost business, bad advertising. So it seems to me PM has some "motivation" and an "obligation" to step things up.

My suggestion would be more informative SMS notifications. Which provide details about pending expiry of promo components or whatever. Along with lazy mindless weblinks to relevant help/faq pages, community threads, etc. Perhaps even an SMS Simon or other two-way SMS communication channel.

Every PM customer already has a phone which is directly connected to PM. Which already "confirms" the customer's identity well enough. So I say start using that phone more, stop leaning as much on websites and vendors which only add delays and misunderstandings. 

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Good read on the update and chagnes in the past year.  Looking forward to the announcement that should be anytime soon!

@AE_Collector wrote:

I really wish PM would fill in the gap with something realistic between the $25 and $40 plans. Why not do both...$30 2Gb & $35 3Gb. 

Look at all the comments from potential new customers learning that the 5Gb data add-on was one single 5Gb, not every month. I try to explain to them how you can get by with a lower cost lower data plan falling back in the add-on if needed but the problem with trying to pick a plan with just enough data for many individuals is the big hole between the 1 and 5 Gb plans.

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector  I couldn't agree with you more...had that in the back of my mind to mention to @Dave_M  as part of my wishlist for 2020. Thanks for bringing it up.

TLGuan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

we are looking forward to the great achievement of PM in 2020. 

I really wish PM would fill in the gap with something realistic between the $25 and $40 plans. Why not do both...$30 2Gb & $35 3Gb. 

Look at all the comments from potential new customers learning that the 5Gb data add-on was one single 5Gb, not every month. I try to explain to them how you can get by with a lower cost lower data plan falling back on the add-on if needed but the problem with trying to pick a plan with just barely enough data for many individuals is the big hole between the 1 and 5 Gb plans.

AE_Collector

CalebK

That's what I was thinking. The only way we could even come close to that is by having millions and millions of people. 

@Pound  That's basically already offered. $15 base plan with 250mb on autopay and 100 outgoing minutes. $25 unlimited minutes and texts and 1gb on autopay. Yes there should be a 2 or 3gb plan priced in the $30 to $35 range. But the $40 plan has 5gb and the $50 8.5gb so 3.5gb for an extra $10.   So I don't see the problem....unless you expecting calling, texting and 1gb of data for $10. Public mobile wouldn't be in business for very long offering a plan like that!

Pound
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

We are tier 3. Let's be realistic in positioning ourselves in market. Now that the tier 2s are all offering 5GB LTE for $40 a month, shouldn't we get a move on, too? 

"Less for less" is our only niche, and we seem to be throwing it out altogether. 

Let's do $10 per GB, throw in some voice and texts. People would be all over us.  

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@CalebK wrote:

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's announcement!

Looking forward to the announcement tomorrow as well! Smiley Very Happy

@CalebK wrote:

With this being hype up with a pre-annoucement, I hope that it's good!  Unfortunately, we'll have to wait until tomorrow monring to find out what's happening.

porcupine
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

great job very happy with public mobile service keep up the great work

CalebK

@Korth wrote:

I don't understand the problem. 

Isn't LTE back-compatible with 4G (which is itself back-compatible with 3G)?

And isn't "3G" on Public (and Telus) already being provided through LTE hardware?

Why would "LTE only" sites which don't support normal voice calls even be deployed? Are they perhaps just meant to increase QoS and density of mobile data while being blanketed within voice-calling coverage provided by other nearby sites? 

The problem is how for Public Mobile customers will not be able to make or receive any phone calls in these locations.

Voice calls can be made on LTE, just not at Public Mobile.

The matter being discussed here is places where there is no UMTS coverage.

@will13am when the day comes that Telus and Bell decide to turn off one of the 3G bands, we will likely see VoLTE on PM. That's probably still a few years away unfortunately.

My hope is they do the right thing and launch it sooner.

@Korth Telus and Bell are deploying LTE only because they don't want to invest in obsolete technology.

Don't forget, PM's "3G" plans, can use 3G and LTE for data. All PM plans must use 3G for voice.

Keep in mind 4G is really LTE, 3G is UMTS/HSPA. They are independent technologies. Your phone can only use one at a time.

I don't know what you mean by backward compatibility or LTE hardware.

@sheytoon wrote:

As you may or may not know, Bell and Telus are deploying new sites with LTE only. Your customers in these areas will see full bars on their phones, but will not be able to make any calls.

I don't understand the problem. 

Isn't LTE back-compatible with 4G (which is itself back-compatible with 3G)?

And isn't "3G" on Public (and Telus) already being provided through LTE hardware?

Why would "LTE only" sites which don't support normal voice calls even be deployed? Are they perhaps just meant to increase QoS and density of mobile data while being blanketed within voice-calling coverage provided by other nearby sites? 

@Anonymous wrote:

@AE_Collector wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote

A bit of trivia for you:

I know most people think and speak as if a decade ends when the year rolls over to a year ending in '0' BUT in fact it technically does not.

Think about it... what is the reference year for the first year of our calendar? (hint: it is not '0' (zero)).

Smiley Wink

This argument went on and on at 1999/2000. I finally decided that 2000 years later it didn't matter if tge celebration was only really 1999 years in, the thing we noticed the most in our day to day lives was the change from the year beginning with 1(999) to 2(000) so time to celebrate! Everyone was free to celebrate again a year later.

AE_Collector

It was a ridiculous argument then and still is. Isn't it like midnight? The infinitesimal moment after midnight is the zero starting point. Or think of it in digital. 0 is the starting unit.

Whatever to going back to the calendar of the day. It's been butchered by various emperors and popes since then.

Actually, it is not like midnight. Midnight is like the zero pt BUT there is no equivalent on the calendar. Anyway, don't want to dissect it or belabour it. Just wanted to point out the trivia... it's called trivia because it is trivial 😉 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector wrote:

@pm-smayer97 wrote

A bit of trivia for you:

I know most people think and speak as if a decade ends when the year rolls over to a year ending in '0' BUT in fact it technically does not.

Think about it... what is the reference year for the first year of our calendar? (hint: it is not '0' (zero)).

Smiley Wink

This argument went on and on at 1999/2000. I finally decided that 2000 years later it didn't matter if tge celebration was only really 1999 years in, the thing we noticed the most in our day to day lives was the change from the year beginning with 1(999) to 2(000) so time to celebrate! Everyone was free to celebrate again a year later.

AE_Collector

It was a ridiculous argument then and still is. Isn't it like midnight? The infinitesimal moment after midnight is the zero starting point. Or think of it in digital. 0 is the starting unit.

Whatever to going back to the calendar of the day. It's been butchered by various emperors and popes since then.

@pm-smayer97 wrote

A bit of trivia for you:

Smiley Wink

AE_Collector

@sheytoon wrote:

Withholding VoLTE is ok as long as there's equal 3G coverage available. This is no longer the case.

Imagine the marketing team going on the defensive if there's angry viral posts from customers who have full bars and can't make voice calls. I wonder if they've considered that possibility? 911 calls would actually fail in this scenario.

Totally agree with what you are saying.  I am against the withholding of technology as a profit center.  It is technology that makes the cost of service delivery more efficient and cost effective.  To this end, customers should share in the outcome.  My guess is the marketing guys are too busy wheelbarrowing in the profits to stop and look at the disaster ahead.  Obviously the collision course can be avoided.  Will it be done by force or by planning?  My guess is the former based on what I have seen so far.  Take a look at how many homes are still on DSL delivered through decade old copper lines that were buried in the ground generations ago.  I have friends in the GTA who can't get more than 10 mbit throughput on DSL.  Monopoly market situations do not punish inaction unfortunately. 

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

@Dave_M wrote:

Hey Community, 

As we enter the final month of the year (and decade!) I wanted to take the time to reflect on what a year it’s been. I also wanted to thank you all for another great year. Public Mobile could not be where it is today without you, our customers. 

We kicked off the year focused on your wishlist from 2018

• Faster Moderator response times
  • Improved ticketing process
  • Additional goodness from SIMon

Since last year, we’ve beefed up our Community support and brought response times down from days to minutes, getting you connected to Moderators faster. ....

Sincerely, 

Dave

@Dave_M 

First I want to say that I have seen a significant improvement in response time, which is appreciated and welcome. That said, it is far from consistent. Why then do I still experience the following?

1. some response times that still take days
  2. worse yet, though all my tickets do get replies, some tickets simply do not get FOLLOW-UP replies
  3. I'm told that your system automatically closes tickets which do not receive a response fromt he customer after 24 hours, even for active issues. That is a problem when issues take more than that to resolve or due to timing or unavailability customers need extra time to an active issue.
  4. when more than one ticket is openly active, only the latest one continues to be maintained but earlier ones simply stop (on top of #2 above)?
  5. since ticket system process still depends on the private messaging from this forum, a BIG limitation is that PM cannot maintain threading of conversations from your end, so replies back from PM are not necessarily tied back to the original because your system supposedly only picks up the last subject line submitted by a customer (that is what I have been repeatedly told by mods and managers and it is what I experience). This makes it hugely difficult to track multiple open issues.

I do hope these issues are on your radar to address.

Part of me is very much wonderig if we're going to see the return of LTE. That would be a great mystery. Lol.

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

@Dave_M wrote:

Hey Community, 

As we enter the final month of the year (and decade!) ...

Sincerely, 

Dave

A bit of trivia for you:

Smiley Wink

@SD08 wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Dave_M wrote:

Make sure to check back on the Community this coming Wednesday, December 4th for a special announcement about some free gifts coming your way. 

Let me take one wild guess:  a 12 days of Christmas giveway contest?  This really is a guess. I don't know anything about what's coming on Wednesday.

Last year it was only 5 days of giveaways due to budget considerations.

#LessForLess  #We'reForYou  Smiley Tongue

Does that mean prices are going up or that customers are going to get more?

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Dave_M wrote:

Make sure to check back on the Community this coming Wednesday, December 4th for a special announcement about some free gifts coming your way. 

Let me take one wild guess:  a 12 days of Christmas giveway contest?  This really is a guess. I don't know anything about what's coming on Wednesday.

Last year it was only 5 days of giveaways due to budget considerations.

#LessForLess  #We'reForYou  Smiley Tongue

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Love the transparency Public Mobile offers! Can't wait to see what special gift is in store for us on the 4th!

Good to read the 2019/2020 Public Mobile Newsletter! it arrived on my One Year Anniversary with PM.

All indications have been that moderator times have been steadily improving. From our (community) side we need to be certain that enough questions have been asked before instructing the customer to contact the moderators. 

I know that likely nothing can be done for competitive reasons but I would love to see some Stats...anything about customer numbers and company growth! 

Looking forward to the ride to Public Mobiles future. 

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.