cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data not working on iPhone 7 plus

pderick
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hi,
I posted recently I'm on the legacy date plan from November 2016. Data keeps crashing. Took the phone to apple and had them trouble shoot for hardware. All good. Apple said that the data signal keeps cutting out. Is PM doing anything about this? This has been annoying and going on for the past couple of weeks. Any suggestions? I may have to drop PM if we are going to experience ongoing data issues
17 REPLIES 17

@pderick A factory reset should delete all settings, including profiles. If you do not see Profile in Settings you have none.

When you restart the phone searches for the correct settings. Just to be sure it is loaded correctly here are the settings on my iPhone 5:

- Cellular >> Cellular Data on >> Cellular data Options >> Enable LTE off (I force the phone off LTE because 3G is more stable where I live; suggest you try both settings); Data Roaming on >> Cellular data Network should show APN isp.mb.com Username & Password both blank

- Carrier shows Public Mobile >>Automatic on

- General >> About Carrier shows Public Mobile 28.0 and Version is 10.3.1 (i have not installed 10.3.2 yet)

- General VPN not connected (if you have a VPN try turning it off or deleting it)

Since you had no issues with Koodo, I wonder if your SIM is wonky. You could try it in another phone and if still misbehaves just order a replacement; or if you live near Mississauga, and are willing to drive over, send me a private message. I have a spare you may have.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Telus, Koodo and Public Mobile have the exact same network. In addition, Bell and Virgin Mobile also have the same towers as Telus/Koodo/PM. Coverage is identical among all those brands.

More info here:
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Network-sharing-explained/td-p/129092

You can contact moderators by following instructions here:
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

I would still suggest trying the SIM in another phone.

I don't have a iPhone, so I'm not sure how to change/reset profiles.

pderick
Data cuts out on and off anywhere. One minute it's good the next we get the circle of wait and wait....
Who is a moderator and how do I contact them? This is getting stupid. Apple suggests the signal strength is weak.
Thx

pderick
Thanks for responding. How do I go about resetting carrier profiles. Apple went through a factory reset. Lucky for them data worked at their store so we could not do anything. Problem is the data cuts out on and off. Even though it shows 3 bars of signal strength. Can you send me a link to a solution to restore carrier profiles please?

pderick
Just data. Phone works well for calling. But for browsing internet and txt messages gps cuts on and off. Very irritating.
Thanks for your reply. Looking to switch to Koodo our previous provider.

pderick
Restored phone to factory settings. Did not work. Apple Store suggesting that PM being a small company has reduced signal strength. This sounds true because the phone works on and off. Very irritating. May have to go back to Koodo. Never any issues. They work off Telus.
Thanks for your help.

Apple thinks data signal is throttled down.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean the signal is attenuated, or the data speeds are throttled? What did Apple do exactly? Did they place the SIM into a brand new phone to compare?

pderick
Thanks Shelton. Apple tried that at their store and it did not work. Apple thinks data signal is throttled down.
Dee

Public Mobile has the same network as Telus. Where are you located exactly? Is everyone else on Bell and Telus having similar issues? If not, I would suspect it's a phone issue more than a network issue, despite what Apple is saying.

Can you try your SIM in another phone?

pderick
Hi deep
Thanks for responding. Initially her phone worked well, it's been only this month it's very bad for reception. I will go back to apple for the fourth time and see if they can do something.
Thanks

pderick
Data cuts out whether I'm indoors or out. Apple tested hardware and said it's the data signal that is weak and cuts out.
Thanks

deep_gupta

Hi @pderick

@pderick wrote:
Hi,
I posted recently I'm on the legacy date plan from November 2016. Data keeps crashing. Took the phone to apple and had them trouble shoot for hardware. All good. Apple said that the data signal keeps cutting out. Is PM doing anything about this? This has been annoying and going on for the past couple of weeks. Any suggestions? I may have to drop PM if we are going to experience ongoing data issues

Hi @pderick

To resolve this issue i would suggest resetting all data profiles to start with including apns and maybe even a factory reset. Also there have been many reports that the iphone 7 and iphone 7 plus with the intel chips are having issues with data and overall reception quality. This happened to one of my friends and apple gave him a brand new phone apparently the qualcomm based chips are superior to the intel chip as many tests and reports show the signal strength. Im guessing you have the intel chips as all carriers in canada are gsm based. Do some research on this and maybe this might provide some solution https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/237984-iphone-7s-with-intel-modems-struggle-badly-in-low-signal-a...

Although apple has already checked it out you may want to research and perhaps this could be the issue.

Hope everything works out.. cheers 🙂

Thanks,

Deep Gupta

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@pderick... what is the general area that you are having issues in? Also, are you indoors?

Other things to try:

- remove any VPNs

- reset all network settings; you will need to add back wifi passwords after that.

- LAST desperate measure when all else fails; erase all data and restore phone to factory settings

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @pderick!

This may be location specific for you as vast majority of people are not reporting any issues with network connectivity.  

You can try deleting all the carrier Profiles in Settings and then check for update and install public mobile's carrier update and restart the phone.  

Failing that, you can do the restore from itunes the old fashioned way.  I suspect a software issue which could have happened for any random reasons.  

Smcanada99

Sorry to hear about your problem! Try this to check the APN Settings on it

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-Up-Data-On-Your-Phone/ta-p/26

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Do you mean just data is unstable, or all services?

Need Help? Let's chat.