cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I think PM should eventually offer the LTE Talk and Wi-Fi Talk and Txt as well, this way, offer offering some flexibility and overall reliability as well

9 Comments
will13am
Oracle
Oracle

With the coming of 5G, there will be enough bandwidth to enable perfect phone calls even with terrible apps like fongo.  I think going forward, we might see an end to phone numbers and phone number based services.  I would be the first to rejoice such an outcome.  

Snapping out of the dream and coming back to reality, I suspect this will be viewed as a premium service and not for Public Mobile.  Even today, there's options to do Wi-Fi communicators.  My sister is vacationing in Mexico and she usually buys roaming service from her carriers when traveling.  This time, I told her to skip it and just install hangouts.  She's able to text and make free phone calls back to Canada using the hotel Wi-Fi.  

horemans
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Quote: My sister is vacationing in Mexico and she usually buys roaming service from her carriers when traveling.  This time, I told her to skip it and just install hangouts.  She's able to text and make free phone calls back to Canada using the hotel Wi-Fi.  

Answer: NOT with what passes for wifi at Mexican resorts. If you are lucky a text web page loads in 3 minutes.. AND that was when paying for their premium level wifi.  YMMMV but wifi and wireless services in Mexico are not at Canadian standards.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@horemans Last time I went to mexico i just bought a local sim i think the carrier was movistar, it was super cheap and included data and free northamerican calling (canada, us and Mexico)  I was there only 10 days but it was super worth it. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@horemans, maybe not all Mexican resorts have crappy Wi-Fi.  The voice quality is as good as I have ever heard on hangouts.  

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I can't see this being a bad idea, offering more official non-app ways of getting your calls and texts using technologies that are already in place & available to Telus customers, I believe.  

horemans

VOLTEvseems to be really dependent on the phone firmware. Note the phone by phone deployment by the majors.

I expect some effort is required to make each phone compliant. It seems unlikely that PM itself would have the resources.

This would likely only be implemented if lack of bandwidth resources were an issue and the savings in bandwidth usage would become sort the considerable effort.

I find the call quality and reliability to be more than adequate on PM. With unlimited in area calls I do not see a need to push VOLTE and/or wifi calling as a priority as it has been to USA MVNOs that use wifi calling to offload from the hosting carrier. Of course if we get real MVNOs in Canada? (Don't hold your breath)

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Would really like to see voice over LTE. Rogers has had it for quite a while now. 

horemans

This seems to be dependent on the phone software. As public mobile does not do updates, it is unlikely to happen soon . Maybe with another iteration of Android and iOS?

horemans

Also if you want to give VOIP on LTE  a go, download Fongo. Actually works surprisingly well on LTE, not so well if it delay to 3G. How often are you dropping to 3G?

Need Help? Let's chat.