cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DonnieT
Good Neighbour / Bon Voisin

For my unlocked phone, this past winter I bought a SIM card from a US carrier and had unlimited talk and 5 gb data/month at LTE speeds for US$30/ month. Surely a Canadian carrier can match this!! Come on Public Mobile. Let's be a leader in providing reasonable cell phone pricing for Canadians in the US for prolonged periods of time. Otherwise US carriers will continue to get my money

9 Comments
DonnieT
Good Neighbour / Bon Voisin

Sorry, I made a mistake. It is 100 minutes of voice talk, unlimited SMS, and 5gb data/month at 4G LTE speeds for US$30/month. Data above 5gb was throttled back to 2G speeds.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Might be worth  it to check out freedom mobile

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately. I see close to no Canadian provider offering a deal close to that. It will always be cheaper to buy locally if you're traveling for I'd say more than a week. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Surely this one will go into the not for us bin. Not every carrier is able to cover all the bases and be the best deal in all cases. It is very difficult for a Canadian carrier to offer better deals than those that can be obtained locally. People should always shop locally. Let's not fall for the roam like home shtick.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can't realistically compare prices offered in the US to prices offered in Canada.  That's just silly.  There are US carriers with customer bases that are multiple times the population of Canada (Verizon has 146 million subscribers!).

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@DonnieT how could any Canadian carrier match this?

If they did match it then 100% of the cash goes to US roaming partner (and usually roaming partners charge more than thier domestic offerings anyways)

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Perhaps a longer availbale term for a US add-ons would make things more attractive for a wider-range of people/customers.  I agree Public isn't in the business of creating a cross-border plan for talk, text and data, but to create a term longer than 10 days would really catch the attention of a lot of current and potential customers.  We've all heard the arguments of "just go get a local SIM card when you're down there" but this is about, in PM case, keeping their customers using their phone Canadian phone number and providing service with a bit of a profit for themselves.  A 30-day US add-on would be a good starting point, but the cost I leave up to PM.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

I really disagree with this entire concept

For long term use it is far cheaper for someone to grab a US SIM

The issue is most US SIMs (eg TMobile) have tons of hidden fees and activation fees that make them cost prohibitive for a day or long weekend shopping trip

10 days is fine and if they want to jig pricing make a 3 day pass next

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It forces people to go to Canada company Roam Mobility be because it has Snowbird plans. Some people don't​want two numbers and don't want to pay another phone bill. Would be awesome if something was in place. Roam Mobility being a Canadian company does seem to have the snowbird market.

Need Help? Let's chat.