cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding data addon to talk and text promo

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Is it possible to add a data-addon (the ones that dont expire)  to the new talk and text plan so that people can send mmses or use occasional data?

13 REPLIES 13

@wetcoaster In case public mobile announces expiry date and it is before your speackout plan ends, you can get on $11 plan and future date the promo plan just to secure it. Just make sure you have the sim ready.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you for confirming this, @NDesai!

It was the final piece of information that makes me jump at this promo.

Now, if only my SpeakOut value plan was up before the last week of April... 😉

srlawren

@youbme I'll try to remember to test that sometime in the not too distant future.  On the other hand, if you're trying to figure out if it's an OxygenOS or Android change, my results won't help as my phone (OP3) also runs OxygenOS (4.0.3/Android 7.0 currently, though plan to upgrade to 4.1.1 on 7.1.1 soon).

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

@Samianauman@NDesai are both correct that data add-on or data as part of your plan are not required for MMS.  However, do note that you have to leave mobile data enabled on your phone for MMS to work.  This is harmless with Public Mobile as you will not get any unexpected data bills by leaving data on without it being part of your plan or an add-on--there is no pay-per-use options at PM and no surpise bills.

@srlawren, I've recently noticed on my OnePlus2 (on Android 6.0.1) that I don't need to turn on mobile data to send/receive MMS. Previously, that did not work, and certainly never worked on my other phones - can anyone confirm if this is exclusive to OnePlus software (Oxygen) or is this a change that has occurred with other Android devices? It's been quite nice as I like to keep data turned off most of the time and when I get a MMS, I don't have to fiddle with data to actually receive it.

ryanwoo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I did as you suggested. Thanks.

srlawren

@ryanwoo interesting idea, I'm not sure I've heard that proposed.  My first reaction was "well they already offer that, it's called a plan that includes a data option!"  But upon a little more thought, I do see a difference.  Basically you're suggesting a data add-on that isn't tied to the plan but automatically tops itself back up when it gets down to 0 remaining bytes.  I'm not sure if I've heard that suggested here before (it may have been, I just don't recall it).  I'm not sure PM would adopt something like to be honest, but I do see the value.  Would you consider creating this as a suggestion in the Public Lab?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ryanwoo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It could be even better if PM can auto-renew data add-on.

mimmo

Thanks for all the replys. I was confused becasue I knew data had to be enabled for MMS.  

time to switch my mom from chattr $25/ month talk and text(100)  to PM talk and text + data addon and long distace addon.  

I think this is a great plan/ option /baby step for people who use little data (email and occasional google search) or who dont want to spend money for data they won't use or who are first starting out with smart phone.  

pakmode

@srlawren wrote:

@Samianauman@NDesai are both correct that data add-on or data as part of your plan are not required for MMS.  However, do note that you have to leave mobile data enabled on your phone for MMS to work.  This is harmless with Public Mobile as you will not get any unexpected data bills by leaving data on without it being part of your plan or an add-on--there is no pay-per-use options at PM and no surpise bills.

Great point @srlawren

That's the beauty of prepaid service, you literally have nothing to worry about.

srlawren

Mms doesn't required data
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Chaos_Scorpio

thats interesting ... this new plan just became interesting for my parents. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Yup, data add-on is the only that works without having data under your plan. For sending and receiving mms, you don't have to purchase the data add-on. It should work without it. 

Need Help? Let's chat.