cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Us talk text 250 my add on

jmagoo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Wow! just used Google maps from fort myers to fort Lauderdale and back and i used 200 MB for the GPS. Looks like 250 MB is not enough. 250 MB seems a little low with all these apps on my phone.
9 REPLIES 9

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@outdoorsaddix yes that works too, so long as you don't have any important SMS only contacts. Even if you're not an iPhone user but can migrate all your contacts into WhatsApp and/or Facebook Messenger and/or some other data-based messaging service (Allo, Line, Hangouts, Skype, Line, etc) then this would work well. Where it might fall down is any services that text you such as for alerts, two-factor authentication codes, etc.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

outdoorsaddix
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Here is what I do:

I get the Talk for $8 and the 1GB of Data for $20 for a total of $28. I forgo the text option because I have an iphone and most people I have to message are too. Or I can just use whatsapp or facebook messenger. 

So for $8 more I get 4 times the data and all arround the same functionality as the $20 Talk/Text/250 plan gets you. 

srlawren
Thanks @Luddite. That one sounds pretty good. There are quite a few limitations on Google Maps in offline mode, like no transit or walking directions for example.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

If you have access to wifi check out HERE WeGo maps for navigation. Once installed with their area maps (eg. all of Ontario, all England, etc.) you can naivgate off line using just the GPS on your phone.

It does permanently use a fair amount of memory: 500 MB for Ontario, 280 MB for BC, etc.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

jmagoo
Great tips thanks.

srlawren

@jmagoo as I mentioned, you can download maps for certain areas over WiFi for offline use later.  https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

EDIT:  make sure you pay attention to this bit unless you plan to use the phone with mobile data turned off or in airplane mode:

• To save cell data and battery life, use "Wi-Fi only" mode. In this mode, when you’re not connected to Wi-Fi, Google Maps will only use data from the offline areas that you’ve downloaded. Before you use this mode, make sure you download offline areas. To turn on this mode, open the Google Maps app Google Maps and then Menu Menu and then Settings and thennext to "Wi-Fi only," turn the switch on.

As for needing more data, that's good feedback.  PM does also offer 500MB and 1GB US Roaming data options.  Unless I'm on a very short trip, I usually order the $15 talk+text bundle and separately also the $20 1GB data, rathern than buying the $20 talk+text+250MB bundle.

jmagoo
Maybe it's a two part question.I guess what I'm saying is 250 MB is to low these days with all the apps that are on the phone. For checking email it's sufficient and also maybe there's a better way to use Google maps to get around?

srlawren

@jmagoo yes maps are big.  You could pre-load some areas in Google Maps while connected to WiFi though!

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@jmagoo, so the addon seems a little low with all the apps on yoru phone?  I don't get what you are trying to say.  Are you saying these apps are eating up your data in the background or that you should have gotten a bigger addon?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.