cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Province wide calling and Canada wide calling

clarkbrand
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Does anyone know if there is anyway around the issue of having only 1 Canada wide number they need to call. My wife is with wind and I would bring her to PM but the jump in price to Canada wide calling for 1 number doesn't make sense. Right now it's wind to wind and therefore free. I would like to get the benefits of referring her but can't get around the higher cost.
7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker I documented the process a while back for someone.  Let me see if I can dig it up.  It does indeed work with Candian numbers.  It's Google Voice that only works with US numbers.

EDIT: @stonechucker ah, found it:

How to verify your phone number and use it as outbound Hangouts caller ID

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

For hangout, you can use wifi to DIAL OUT to any NORTH AMERICAN number.  You can NOT receive landline calls through wifi (but can receive hangout internet calls).  But if you are US based, people can actually dial your hangout phone number using a landline.

@will13am I have tried over and over again to get the hangouts working as you describe, and I just can't get it.  My understanding is that it doesn't work with a non-US number.  Can you elaborate more on this?

paulie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What about just buying the Long Distance Plan for the purpose of making those one off calls?  It's compsumption based so if you (or wife) only need it the odd time, might be the solution.  

Or as others have suggested use a 3rd party app that would use data but then make calls from there.   If you have an Office365 subscription, it does come with 60 minutes of Skype calling.

Or other apps too like Fongo. Or Google Hangouts, What's App, etc... 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@clarkbrand, as already suggested you can use an app to make long distance calls for free.  I would further recommend using the google hangouts app with hangouts dialer.  The recipient will see the call as coming from your actual cell number.  So you can easily get call backs to the cell number that way. 

It's a bit difference in prices between province and Canada wide but huge differnce between freedom quality vs pm if pm reception cant be compare with freedom but heres other option if you planning to get data then you have a option of using third party app to call Canada and USA or you have along distance add-on which doesn't expire untill you used all available minutes all depends how often you calling out of province
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

bbdata
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Can you elaborate on your situation? Is it because your wife travels within Canada often and needs Canada-wide calling?

Need Help? Let's chat.