cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notification of maxing data out

carmenleung
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I am currently on the plan with the 6 GB option, but then I am receiving a notification that I have exhausted my mobile data usage when I have only used less than 250 mb. I am confused as to why I am receiving the notice, and if there is a way to track the amount of data left for my account.

Much Appreciated!

13 REPLIES 13

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I was just looking at my account and both screens show data used not remaining.Screenshot (73).pngScreenshot (75).png

@stonechucker wrote:

@carmenleung, I fear you may have used all of your data.

youve stated that your cellular device showed 5.75 GB or data usage, and the self serve showed only 250MB of usage.  

Those two values add up to your stated 6GB plan.  At this point, I believe you are now experiencing no data due to it being exhausted part way thru your 90 day cycle.  To get data active again, you will need to purchase one of the available addons, however, these are not cheap.

i would also suggest you ensure your device is setup to do large data exchanges over wifi only if possible, such as app updates, OS updates, HD video, and High quality audio.

Wait a second here.  Could it be the 250 megs is being mistaken as data used when it is actually data remaining.  5.75 gigs used out of 6 gigs leaves 250 megs remaining. 

@carmenleung, I fear you may have used all of your data.

youve stated that your cellular device showed 5.75 GB or data usage, and the self serve showed only 250MB of usage.  

Those two values add up to your stated 6GB plan.  At this point, I believe you are now experiencing no data due to it being exhausted part way thru your 90 day cycle.  To get data active again, you will need to purchase one of the available addons, however, these are not cheap.

i would also suggest you ensure your device is setup to do large data exchanges over wifi only if possible, such as app updates, OS updates, HD video, and High quality audio.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Another vote for the data witness app here.  It compares quite well with the Public Mobile data meter.

mimmo

Many of us use datawitness or my data manager to track data usage. they both allow 90 day terms and are easy to set up.  I woudl install one of those as they are typically very accurate.

Just another question is are the notifications from public mobile via SMS or through your phone?  if your phone then there likley is a misalignment of the term length between PM and your phone.  

ALso if its a phone thing then it might stop you from using data once you reach your limit.

SD08

@imm1304& @Luddite  Just an alert:

The Moderator_Team account is still in the testing stage and is having some problems, according to Shazia_K here, so I would avoid tagging or messaging that account for now.

@carmenleung

For the time being, it's best to send help requests to any of the named moderators listed here:  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

carmenleung

It's reporting as only 250MB on the self serve usage history. On my phone it says 5.75GB as of today. 

imm1304

250MB for over 2 months sounds like a very low number.  Could it be that your phone's data counter is reporting 250MB for a shorter time frame?  Its most likely set to 30 day cycle by default.  

carmenleung

It's been 2 months (started on March 21). The data usage history doesn't reflect that I have used up my data allowance though.

imm1304

Yes, the data counter should be on the Overview page.

If you don't see it, that means the PM system thinks you have used up your data allowance. The data counter disappears when all data is used up from your plan and/or add-ons.  

How long has it been since your current plan started?  Could it be possible that you had an update or some apps using up a lot of data running in the background?

Thanks @Luddite for the correction.  

@carmenleung please send a message to @Simon_O

carmenleung

I do not see a data counter when I log onto my account. And I cannot use data as it will keep referring to the notification of exhausting the data. Is the counter supposed to be on the overview page once I log in?

Either way thanks for the tip, I will PM one of the mods. Thanks!

Hi there @imm1304 The @CS_Agent has no private message function that I can find.

@carmenleung try a private message   to @Simon_O.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

imm1304

Hi @carmenleung!

You can check the data usage by signing into your selfserve account at https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca

Verify that your phone's data counter agrees with the data usage in selfserve.  If you are happy with what you see in selfserve, then the notification may be a glitch that you can ignore.

If there is a problem, you can write a private message to the mods to get help.  Include your public mobile phone number in any private message to @CS_Agent

Need Help? Let's chat.