cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance phone call?

baddie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I'm from Vancouver, BC with province wide calling.  When I try and  call a (250) area code number, it won't connect me as it is "long distance".  I've tried adding a +1, and everything but no luck.

Is it just me or what is the fix to this.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @baddie

I'm sorry to hear about this, 

Can you please send us a private message with your Public Mobile phone number? 

I will look into this for you. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

@baddie

Since you tag all mod stuff they will get back to you tomorrow morning hopefully thanks 

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

baddie

@Shazia_K@Mary_M@MarieHelene_L@Simon_O

Any help here?  Thanks

I think @Dan got this right.

I just looked at the Wiki_Link for the area code 250.  This may actually be an international long distance call to the US.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@baddie, are you letting the message complete to see what happens?

As 250 is a BC number, and whatever area code you have is also BC your call should connect.

The call may well be a long distance call, but if it is, it will complete as a provincial call, and not incur charges.

Remember a province wide calling area still has long distance calls in... they just won't be charged.

@Dan  the near border issue is not rocket science, if the person initiating the call is near a border then they could be hitting a tower outside of their province.

Dan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You guys are a little bit confused about this near border thing. If the caller is in Vancouver (which is not near a provincial border and can only connect to towers in BC), it does not matter where in the world the called person is, for the caller, the call is "provincial". The called person can be on Mars as far as the caller's provider is concerned. If the called person is outside of what his plan allows, the caller won't get a long distance message, he/she will get either a "User is unavailable" message or reach the user's voicemail.

The issue with making provincial calls and them being treated as long distance when the caller is near provincial border happens when you have province-wide calling but connect to a tower in the bordering province. Then all calls you make to your province are "long distance", because you are calling from another province as far as the network is concerned.

The issue that is described by OP seems to be that PM (or Telus) consider that phone number to not be a BC number. This needs to be looked into by a mod.

If calling Hyder, Alaska (250-234-XXXX or 250-636-XXXX), that is likely a call to United States and you need US-wide calling for that.

@baddie  this tends to be a common issue if you  are anywhere near a border and possibly hitting a tower across the border.  but if thats not happeneing, then im curious what causes this.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

also send them the pefex ie 250-xxx

that might help troubleshoot.  also are you abel to make other "long distence calls" in BC?

good luck

@baddie wrote:

Yep! All in the prince george area.  None will connect and I get the annoying automated long distance message

Thats weird. Contact mod as advised above. They will take a look at your account and see if everything is fine. 

baddie

Yep! All in the prince george area.  None will connect and I get the annoying automated long distance message

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Is it all 250 area code numbers that won't connect? May be the person you are trying to call is nearby BC border area?

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
it's shouldn't be act like long distance since it's part of b.c
I would get mod dept involved if you can't call area code 250 at all even by adding +1
That's doesn't make sense since it's all same province
Here how to contact mod explain them so they can investigate for you
Send any one of them a private message by clicking on the link( http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera... )
with your phone number username and an explanation. Coverage is currently: Mon-Thursday 9am(EST) to 9pm(EST) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(EST) to 5:30pm(EST
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
Need Help? Let's chat.