cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Four Months in US: Best option?

ndwatts
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I will be moving to the US to work for 4 months this summer.

I have looked at the options for US roaming, including the talk/text/data bundle which is $20 per 10 days, and includes 250mb data.  

This would work for me, however I would *prefer* more data, and I assume I would have to renew this every 10 days for the entire 4 months I am there, which would be a hassle (and I'm sure I'd forget occassionally and incur some large fees). 

Are there any alternatives?

If not, and I choose to get a temporary plan with a US provider, would it be possible to maintain my account and plan with Public Mobile (assuming I still pay the cost of the plan?)

I have an excellent plan with Public Mobile that I want to remain on for the long term.

Thanks!

NW

4 REPLIES 4

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

@ndwattswrote:

[...] and I assume I would have to renew this every 10 days for the entire 4 months I am there, which would be a hassle (and I'm sure I'd forget occassionally and incur some large fees).

It would be a hassle for sure, but you would not incur large fees since once your add-on expires, you would only end up having no service, rather than paying large fees. Don't forget it's prepaid service, not postpaid, so you get less bad surprises 😉

Since you going for long term as yoy said 4 months it's better to get a temp prepaid sim from usa carrier provider try ebay I usually buy from ebay if I heading usa for over 3 weeks or so you get a nice lynamobile plan or tmobile plan under 40 bucks with lots of data
And about your plan it's depends on your renewal date if your top up date close to the time you are planning to go usa then remove your autopay this way you wont get charge let your plan get suspended you have 90 days to reactive but here a point if you restore your service let's say after 89 days with same plan you will lose a month service since as you mentioned you will be in usa for 4 months it's depend on your plan if you want to keep the same plan then that's the only option you have pay before 90 days mark to keep the same plan that's is your option to keep the plan if you change to 10 dollar plan you will lose the plan.
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

you could either buy a romaing sim, or buy a pre-paid SIM from a us provider. Just be sure that your phone supports the frequency for your provider in the US if you go that option, as some frequencies are different (GSM and CDMA) are both in the USA. I feel like you'd get more value from that rather than re-applying add ons 

I've heard that your expired plan will last up to 88 ish or so days, before you lose everything 

Need Help? Let's chat.