cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data only with Add-on (400 minutes North America)

Mobilix
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hello all,

Does anyone know what's going to happen to my 400 min add-on if I switch to a "Data only"? Will I still be able to use my allotment of remaining minutes to place or receive calls? Or is voice calls going to be completely disabled on my account?

Thanks all!
10 REPLIES 10

The long distance minutes becoming unsable after removing voice service has to do with the fact that the add-on only covers the long distance portion of a call.  It doesn't cover airtime. 

Without airtime (a talk plan or airtimetime minutes in the case of other carrier's non-unlimited voice plans), you cannot make any voice calls using Public Mobile (to anywhere).

@Mobilix, you're right, maybe Public Mobile isn't for you, and you're welcome to have that opinion.

Frankly, the low cost, and choices already provided by Public Mobile meet my requirements.  No carrier has the perfect service for everyone.  Public Mobile has it for me.

Mobilix
Thanks all for your replies!

I have to say though, this is another restriction (like not being able to forward calls to a US number when your plan includes it or have the right add-on) that is in my opinion, hard to justify...

PM, if you're reading, you need to give more flexibility to your customers that are a little more tech savvy... Unfortunately it won't work for me then and I'll just get a tablet plan with Fido...

Have a good one everyone.

@Mobilix, I would take Mary's answer as confirmation by PM. THe great thing to know is that any unused minutes on the addon will not be lost.  Unfortunately they will be unuseable with a data only plan but if you choose to go back and add talk again you would have access to those minutes again.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Mobilix,,

@Mary_M is a moderator of the community, and works for Public Mobile.   She is an authority on this and many other issues.

Also, this information has been asked and answered multiple times.

You need a talk plan, to use long distance add-ons.

Mobilix
Thanks !

Has this been confirmed by PM or officially tested by another customer?

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Edit as I was too slow with my response again....

Thanks for the answer @Mary_M!!

----

@Mobilix Actually a great question!

I'm in as I would love to know the response....

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Mobilix

As soon as talk is removed from your plan, the add-on will not function. You need a basic talk plan in order to consume the 400 long-distance minutes.

They will however remain on your account, and only "expire" once depleted!

I hope this helps,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

@Mobilix  THat is a very good quetsion, i would assume you can't use the minutes or else you could get around having data only.  But perhaps one of hte mods c an clarify.

@Shazia_K

Need Help? Let's chat.