cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus using LTE Band 2, 4, 5, & 7 in BC

Mayor / Maire

The following screenshot was taken in Vancouver, BC, and shows my phone connected to the Telus network (MNC: 220). However, what's interesting is that it shows I'm on Band 7 (2600 MHz).

I've observed what frequencies my phone latches on to in different parts of the city, and it's been Band 4 (15 MHz bandwidth) throughout, aside from this one location, where I always get Band 7, 20 MHz bandwidth.

I'm not sure what the DL/UL frequency field is about. Those readings have been 3350/21350 or 2650/20650 throughout.

So we can safely add Band 7 to the list of LTE frequencies that Telus uses, atleast here in BC.

Screenshot_2016-03-23-18-53-32.png

20 REPLIES 20

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Yeah typically comparing a signal bar between different manufacturers and/or operating systems and even different models from the same manufacturer running the same OS can be tricky.  It's really just an approximation of the signal quality you're getting, but even with a relatively low reading, you can still get great service.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@sapulous wrote:

I see, that would make sense with the LTE. Also, what I read somewhere else that the Lumia should switch down to 3G spectrum if I'm in an area where LTE signal is weak...otherwise I'd lost connectivity in basements/inside buildings and such. I hope that is true.

Yep, it sure is!

sapulous
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I see, that would make sense with the LTE. Also, what I read somewhere else that the Lumia should switch down to 3G spectrum if I'm in an area where LTE signal is weak...otherwise I'd lost connectivity in basements/inside buildings and such. I hope that is true.

@sapulous That is normal, and to be expected. Your Lumia is connecting on the higher frequencies that Telus uses for 4G (LTE), which attenuate faster than the lower frequency(850MHz) likely being used for 3G service on your N9. Also, since the two networks are different (they likely use different antennas, etc), their signal strengths could always differ, even if they were using the same frequencies.

But you will still enjoy significantly faster data speeds on your Lumia, because of its connection to the LTE network.

sapulous
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Something seems off here. 

When I compare my N9 with Lumia 640, I get full signal strength on my N9 and only 2-3 bars with the 640. The specifications for Lumia 640 LTE has all the band support as N9, plus more bands for LTE.

Supported bands: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7055&idPhone2=3398 

@ckl I will check once again on my Nexus 4 and report back to you. It is definitely using the stock dialer.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@7789849803 *#*#4636#*#* should work on your Nexus 4 provided that you are using the stock android dialer. It works on my coworkers Nexus 5. (previously I just typed 4636 for brevity, I didn't realize I had to be super precise, sorry about that).

You don't have to post a screenshot, I believe you. Just wondering what was there in the place of the band number that's all.

@ckl As previously stated, these codes are manufacturer and model-specific. It doesn't matter what version of Android you are running. For instance, your code does not work on my Nexus 4, either.

And no, I cannot see LTE bands in "LTE Discovery". The exact text shown in the app is "LTE band unknown". If you'd like for me to post a screenshot, don't hesitate to let me know and I will do so when I get a chance (probably tomorrow evening).

ckl

@7789849803 I see. That code 4636 used to work for me in Android 4.4.2. In Android 6, it comes up with the list of options, but when I tap on phone information, it says "This application does not work on this device".

I know Samsung replaces the stock dialer with their own version so they have the ability to control what codes work. 4636 does not work on my wifes Note as well.

LTE Discovery shows the band I'm using exactly like in the screenshots they have for the app right next to the signal bars. You don't get that?

@ckl These codes are manufacturer and model-specific. That code doesn't bring up anything for me, for instance. The field test code for my phone is entirely different (*#0011#).

Also, the LTE Discovery app is not available for all phones. On my phone, it doesn't show the LTE band in use, either.

ckl

For those, like myself, who are no longer able to get into the service menu (ie. *#*#4636#*#*), you can download several apps that tell you this information. The one I use is called LTE Discovery from the Google Play Store.

Thanks, @srlawren! Yeah, this info is handy to have when deciding on a new phone to buy.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Wow that's really cool @7789849803, great information!  I'll be revising my desired LTE band list for my next phone to these four bands plus 12 and 17 for using Roam Mobility on the T-Mobile network.  Looks like time to pick up something like a Moto X Play, maybe.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Here are some additional screenshots showing Telus using Bands 2 and 5 as well. This means I've so far recorded (just within Vancouver city limits), Telus using Bands 2, 4, 5, and 7, all for LTE!

Screenshot_2016-03-24-08-47-20.png Screenshot_2016-03-23-19-41-30.png

Yeah, the amount of information exposed in those modes varies by manufacturer and firmware version.

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

thanks, both worked, but they only show I was on LTE 

Sorry about that - just fixed it.

fyi, that pic isn't showing up

@homer In your phone dialer, try entering *#*#7378423#*#* or *#*#4636#*#* and see if anything comes up.

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

very interesting! I am using a sony phone and I am not sure how to check my network status like yours 

Need Help? Let's chat.