SMS/MMS showing up in separate threads

pmikeyreid
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hardware: 

Nexus 5 running Android 6.0.1

using the stock android messaging app.

Hi All, 

I've got 2 weird things going on right now: 

#1 - whenver I recieve an MMS message it comes through fine, but starts a new conversation. So if I am texting my friend joe and we are having a text chat it all appears in the same thread, but if joe sends me a picture, it pops up in a different message. what's weird is that all of joe's pictures appear together. so basically I have two threads for my conversation, one that is just text, and one that is just pictures. 

#2 - Sometimes, usually when I am doing something other than a basic text (picture or group text) every message I send out gets sent twice. Once from me, and then once from another contact labelled "voicemail." so the chat looks like this :

Friend: Are you coming out tonight? 

Me: Definitely, see you there

Voicemail: Definitely, see you there

Any help on how I can get this sorted would be much appreciated! 

Thanks so much

26 REPLIES 26

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@delaste as you didn't quote any of the replies you were replying to it's really hard to tell what all you tried. Did you happen to try using Google Messages (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging) instead of the Samsung app?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

delaste
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Nah, that don't work either.

Guess we can't tape up a diaper & expect it to work.

And that is apparently what this Samsung is after all, (a bag of **bleep**)

since Samsung won't send out another update to fix the update that screwed up what were otherwise Terrific phones.

delaste

tried that too.

Nope.

delaste

tried it. nope

delaste

I've done those steps & MANY MANY MANY other things. Even tried a different SIM card as well as putting my SIM card into another Android 10.

I've had my brand new A71 Samsung for just a month.

Spent DAYS trying ti figure this problem out.

Several people have said "just go into the SIM Card Manager" in settings.

Guess what? There IS no "Sim Card Manager" because Samsung took it out of all the phones with one of their updates & from what I understand, they are not going to replace it with another update.

A BRAND NEW Samsung A71 & it appears they F'd me.

Thanks Samsung!!!!!

Jenkayjerrica71

Thank you,  but its saying that I'm not registered with iMessage so that's not the issue. 

@Jenkayjerrica71You need to deregister your iMessage from your broken iPhone via this link https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Jenkayjerrica71

My iphone was broken so I had to switch back to an Android. I sent him a text a couple months ago that he didnt get. When I tried showing that I'd sent it, it was on a different thread and  he wants to know why. He sent a message from his phone through the second thread, that was in his files, earlier today but he never got my response. The second thread also said the his "hi" message was an MMS. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Btw..I still had the iphone when this first happened but not now.

srlawren

@imm1304 wrote:

Have you guys tried the Textra or other popular 3rd party sms apps? 

Textra was @srlawren's fave 

@imm1304 was, though the past maybe 12-18 months or so I've just been using Google's own Android Messages.  I forget exactlyi why I decided to try it again but it meets my needs fine. Textra is definitely more customizable but I found I just didn't miss that stuff.  OH I think it was so I could try using the web version that Google provides.  I don't use that much but then I rarely text, I'm mostly on WhatsApp or other IM apps with most of my contacts.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

Have you guys tried the Textra or other popular 3rd party sms apps? 

Textra was @srlawren's fave 

tashiba81011

I have an LG X Power and mine has been doing it too. It does it in facebook messenger when that is my default app and in the messaging app that came with it. I cleared cache and it didn't work. I did a factory reset and it still does it. I'm at a loss .

Ryan-sr

I'm having the same issue.   Only my fiancee's text message thread, there are 2 for same number and I am using a Samsung Note 8.  If anyone has figured this out and why that happens please share.  I am a bit paranoid and my first thought is Mister Man trying to keep tabs on me again! Spyware of sum sorts, but of course he says that's me being "paranoid"!

Thanks Lisa

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@pmikeyreid, if you are really desperate and want to give factory reset a try, you can use adb backup and restore to save your user apps and data on a computer for restoration after a factory reset.  The instructions were written in a galaxy nexus thread on xda but it works the same for any android device. 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-nexus/general/guide-phone-backup-unlock-root-t1420351

@pmikeyreid wrote:

Hi Neil, 

The app I'm using now is Android messanger, as far as I know it was the replacement/re-branding of google messages. I don't think messages is available on the app store anymore, but I could be mistaken

At one point, that app was just called Messenger.  The current name for it is Android Messages.  It is still avaialbe.

neilselden
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

HI,

I didn't realize that Messages was now the default SMS/MMS app for Android.

Anyway, you could try the following:

1. Install a different SMS/MMS app
  2. Does the same thing happen?
    1. If no: try to uninstall and then re-install the stock app, making sure to clear cache as @imm1304 outlined, before re-installing
      1. If you're still getting the same problem, it may be time for a full reset of your phone
    2. If yes: It may be time for a full reset of your phone
    3. Depending on your phone, there may be some settings relating to SMS/MMS threading.  If you post your phone model, maybe the community can help find a way to fix the issue.

Keep in mind that a full phone reset will completely all of the data stored on your phone.  Messages, pics, etc.  And there's not guarantee it will fix the problem.

Cheers,

Neil

pmikeyreid

Always an option, but I'm going to hold off on that one for a bit, see if anyone else has seen this before.

i know its an extreme measure, but hard reset of the phone, wipe and reset?

pmikeyreid

Thanks for the thoughts @imm1304 and @CaNuCk07

I tried following @imm1304's advice, cleared the phone cache and just for good measure cleared out the app cahce/data as well. Still no luck. I got my wife to send me 2 messages, first a text then a picture, same thing: 

Text message appears like normal, but the image appears in a separate "group" message between me, my wife, and voicemail for some reason.

regardless, you shouldn't have to use a different app jsut to get your messages to work.  I would suggest trying what @imm1304 mentioned.

pmikeyreid

app.png

imm1304

Hey @pmikeyreid,

Since your phone is a few years old and likely got several updates, its highly recommended that you clear cache by entering the recovery mode.

Here is how to do it:  

1. Turn off the phone.
  2. Press volume down and power buttons at the same time.
  3. The boot loader mode will be displayed
  4. From there choose “recovery".  Use Volume up and down buttons to scroll, Power button to click.  
  5. Clear cache and reboot.  

This should help.

If the SMS/MMS history is not essential, you can also go to your phone's Settings > General > Apps > scroll down to Messaging app and tap it.  Now clear cache/data for this app.  This will result in losing all messages in the app.  

neilselden

Hi,

A round icon with a blue background?

pmikeyreid

Hi Neil, 

The app I'm using now is Android messanger, as far as I know it was the replacement/re-branding of google messages. I don't think messages is available on the app store anymore, but I could be mistaken

pmikeyreid

Hi CaNuCK

Thanks for the reply. It's been happening since I switched to Public about a month ago. Never had the issue bfore. 

Did this just start happeneing?  did anything change recently?

neilselden

Hi,

Have you tried using the Googe 'Messages' app?  I switched to that from the stock Android app, as I think it is better - the interface is cleaner and I just find it more robust.

It's free, and in the Play store.  Check it out - it may 'solve' your issues.

Cheers,

Neil

Need Help? Let's chat.