cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: SMS/MMS showing up in separate threads

i know its an extreme measure, but hard reset of the phone, wipe and reset?

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Always an option, but I'm going to hold off on that one for a bit, see if anyone else has seen this before.

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

HI,

I didn't realize that Messages was now the default SMS/MMS app for Android.

Anyway, you could try the following:

1. Install a different SMS/MMS app
  2. Does the same thing happen?
    1. If no: try to uninstall and then re-install the stock app, making sure to clear cache as @imm1304 outlined, before re-installing
      1. If you're still getting the same problem, it may be time for a full reset of your phone
    2. If yes: It may be time for a full reset of your phone
    3. Depending on your phone, there may be some settings relating to SMS/MMS threading.  If you post your phone model, maybe the community can help find a way to fix the issue.

Keep in mind that a full phone reset will completely all of the data stored on your phone.  Messages, pics, etc.  And there's not guarantee it will fix the problem.

Cheers,

Neil

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

pmikeyreid wrote:

Hi Neil, 

The app I'm using now is Android messanger, as far as I know it was the replacement/re-branding of google messages. I don't think messages is available on the app store anymore, but I could be mistaken

At one point, that app was just called Messenger.  The current name for it is Android Messages.  It is still avaialbe.

Mayor / Maire

@pmikeyreid, if you are really desperate and want to give factory reset a try, you can use adb backup and restore to save your user apps and data on a computer for restoration after a factory reset.  The instructions were written in a galaxy nexus thread on xda but it works the same for any android device. 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-nexus/general/guide-phone-backup-unlock-root-t1420351