cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Moto G calls (in + out) not working

MJMaster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I just tried to make my first call with my LG Moto G (3rd generation; Single Sim; not locked) today after having activated my Public Mobile Sim end of last week. Data is working fine (full LTE-connectivity) and SMS is working too. Unfortunately I am unable to dial any number (dialing just stops without any signal/sound at all). When trying to call myself from a different phone it just reaches the mailbox. Having looked around the forum quite a while I found that 3G is used for calls (even if LTE is available). The problem is: despite being in Waterloo city center with full LTE-connectivity, forcing my phone to use 3g (by setting preferred network-type to 3G instead of LTE) makes it lose all network connection at all. I already double-checked my APN with the one provided on the forum, turned it off and on several times, took out the sim card, went to different places around the area and double-checked that my phone's IMEI is working according to your website. Any ideas on how to proceed? Phone and SIm-Plan are pretty much useless for me as long as calls do not work.

Best regards and thanks a lot,

Marc

36 REPLIES 36

@MJMaster If calling works on the Samsung you will be able to use data if you gat the APN settings correct. Let us know the model for more explicit directions. General instructions here: 

APN settings Public Mobile

And this for MMS: 

MMS settings

From @s2scotty

If you have multiple APNs listed, ONLY one, the PM one, should have the APN type "default".

Including "mms", as in, "default,mms" makes it clear TO THE PHONE to route MMS via this APN/carrier.  IT APPEARS CRITICAL THAT there are NO SPACES between the words and the commas (e.g. "default,<space>mms" = wrong and "default,mms" = correct). A trailing space proved an issue on a phone (e.g. "default, mms<space>" = wrong and "default,mms" = correct). Like "default", only the correct and active APN should include the "mms" tag.

*  Name: Mobile Internet

  APN: sp.mb.com

  Proxy: Unspecified

  Port: Unspecified

  Username: Unspecified

  Password: Unspecified

  Server: Unspecified

  MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

  MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18

  MMS port: 80

  MCC: 302

  MNC: 220

  Authentication type: Unspecified

*  APN type: default,mms

*  APN roaming Protocol: IPv4

  Bearer: Unspecified

  MVNO type: GID

  MVNO value: 4D4F

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Do a search on this community for android APN settings.  You'll find what you need.

Set your prefered network to Automatic.

@MJMaster
Are you planning to use public mobile for long term or short term
If long term I would suggust get a phone that's is fully compatible with public mobile
There's some great places you can buy from not too expansive either let me know I can suggust you some places depending on where you located now
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

@MJMaster
Lol good news but data won't work on Samsung since it's doesn't have LTE try going on setting and see what band option you have
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

MJMaster

@Samianauman:

Hey there, maybe you could help me out once more. As the mod isn't responding and the LG Moto G3 seems to be a dead end I gave my old Samsung a shot. Well, surprise - calling is working. But guess what, data isn't.... Any ideas on making at least one phone work fully? Not really into switching Sims every time I want to make a call or go for data 😉

Thanks!

Marc

For refund not sure I heard some stories about getting credit to their account if someone got wrong charge or issues with billing since you already send a msg to mod neways once you get reply from moderators ask them about refund if they can offer you something back

MJMaster

Well, bad news to hear... Thanks for your help anyways. Any posts about refunds for such a case before I start discussing it with the moderator? 😕

Then it's more like phone is not compatible sorry bro
@MJMaster

MJMaster

No, unfortunately still no dialing...

I was searching for that all well try that let's see if it's works

I know codes for Samsung new phone never had s lg or Motorola was been searching for service mode code

Try LTE wcdma

MJMaster

Yes, I did send an private message.

One more idea (just found a thread after googling for it. Used *#*#4636#*#* to get into some kind of root menu. There it says right now: LTE/GSM auto (PRL) is selected. Should I change it to LTE/WCDMA (whatever it means).

There are more options listed aswell - just need to type them all down if it helps.

@stonechucker
Moto g is missing frequencies right for 3G

OThe 1541 model is missing the required bands for voice to work.  If it was the 1540 model, you would be all set.

Sorry for the bad news.

Edited, list wrong model.

Did you send a private msg to mod as well since it's pretty confirm phone missing some frequency mod probably gonna say the same thing but since you send a msg already let's see what they suggust to you

MJMaster

Yeah, I will do once I get back home. But battery is pretty weak, most apps won't work on the outdated android version anymore and LTE isn't working for sure which alltogether would really be a downside.

Regarding cell network option I can only select 'preferred one': LTE (advised), 3G, 2G.

Try on Samsung I know it' not a LTE phone but see if calling working on that 

also if you go on setting and network option on moto phone do they give you option to select LTE or wcdma and stuff or no 

MJMaster

Thanks for taking a deeper look into it. I bought it at a german supermarket without any carrier at all - as of that it is not locked at all (as long as you do not have to unlock it for the transfer from Germany to Canada which I actually have never heard about).

@MJMaster

That's what I have about moto 3rd gen IMG_0103.PNG

@Luddite

Is that compatible with pm or no ? Isn't 3G missing a frequency? Maybe that's why calling feature having issues 

Public Mobile works on following frequencies:
For 3G use (UMTS/HSPA): 850MHz/1900MHz bands
For 4G/LTE use: 1700MHz/2100MHz bands
For 4G/LTE use: 700 MHz band
Which means most of the 3G,4G HSPA/ LTE phones that are compatible with these frequencies will work on Public Mobile. If your phone is locked to specific carrier, you’ll have to get it unlocked.

MJMaster

Yeah, model is correct. But I am using the built-in messaging function for sending plain old-school SMS (no Skype, Threema, Whats APP, etc.).

The web says XT1541 is a Moto G 3rd gen. If you are using a texting app it may be using the data connection.

@MJMaster
Sure they will reply back soon yep meanwhile try Samsung if that work

MJMaster

Yeah, kind of a miracle here... I will text them and post the solution (hopefully one is found). Will also check my old samsung, maybe that's working as a plan B...

Thanks to all of you.

Cheers,

Marc

@MJMaster
That's what I was wondering too text and data working properly but calls not
Do this send a private msg to mod at least they can double check if there's no service issue here how to contact them follow the link and provides all these details this way we can find out it's not a service issue
In your private message to any moderator include whatever bits of the following info you have:
* PM account email address
* PM phone number
* PM SIM card number
* Detailed explanation
* Community Moderators are available from Mon-Thursday 9am(EST) to 9pm(EST) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(EST) to 5:30pm(EST)
Here is the link for how to contact moderators
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

MJMaster

Thanks man, but texting is working actually! So why shouldn't calling use the same frequency? And my phone's model isn't even listed on that website?!

Cheers,

Marc

Public mobile imei check sometime have error that's why we always suggust to double check on that other website we provided to you earlier

MJMaster

I just removed it, thought it was related to the phone model, not to my number/personal phone in any ways.

Tried to look it up on http://willmyphonework.net/ - model (Moto G3) isn't listed there at all.

But shouldn't it be working as long as publicmobile check via IMEI says it's fine?

Cheers & Thanks,

Marc

@Luddite

Looks like you found a cause calling issue

You're skuppered. http://willmyphonework.net shows your model 3rd gen Moto G has no 3G connectivity and only partial 4G. Therefore data but no calling/texting. 

You could try an application like that from fongo.com. It provides free calling across Canada from wherever you are connected to wifi, or on cellular data.

MJMaster

Yeah, that's what I checked as well. Tried the network-reset too, didn't help the problem unfortunately.

Thanks anyways!

Cheers,

Marc

@MJMaster IMEI says good to go, so a bit of a situation it seems.  I'm looking around.

Need Help? Let's chat.