cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G stopped working - only connects to 3G

Theprincipal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good Morning,

I would like to preface this by saying that the 4G on mine and my wifes phone was previously working with no issue. I havae also verrified the APN settings are correct.

Basically - at some point in the last few weeks both mine and my wife's phones will no longer connect to 4G, they only receive 3G signal. Is there anything I can try other than checking the APN settings?

28 REPLIES 28

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Chefksm wrote:

I also have the same problem. I kept the same phone and same number and same network. Took me 6 hours of tech support to finally get full functionality except that I am only getting 3g service. The phone connected to 4g LTE before inserting new sim card. I have the same phone next to mine that is 3 generations older than mine, with the same company and it is connected to 4g lte. 

@Chefksm what is your phone's make and model #?  The one that is only connecting to 3G.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Chefksm wrote:

I also have the same problem. I kept the same phone and same number and same network. Took me 6 hours of tech support to finally get full functionality except that I am only getting 3g service. The phone connected to 4g LTE before inserting new sim card. I have the same phone next to mine that is 3 generations older than mine, with the same company and it is connected to 4g lte. 

Did you write the moderator a private message...again.. to let them know this issue?Smiley Frustrated

Did you try to make tests to verify this? Mine phone shows LTE but I don't have LTE..only 3G....????

Chefksm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Ok if I understand @Tamhoop the 3G or 4G is not your problem???? Can you explain what happened? 

Tamhoop

Yes public moble was not working wouldn’t take the payment was very fusterating

Did you try to reboot your phone @Tamhoop?

Tamhoop

@Tamhoop wrote:

I had that problem too

Tamhoop

I had that problem too

Hayward

This has never happened before, only after i switched to PM, that's why I think it has to do with PM. After the restart the phone renegotiates the data connection params anew, it could have cleared a condition that was preventing it to get on LTE. 

srlawren

@Hayward the fact that it returned to LTE after rebooting to me suggests it's a phone issue not a PM issue.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Hayward

This happened to me as well just now on an iPhone 8+. An iPhone 6s was still showing LTE though. After I've restarted mine, it shows LTE again. This must be a PM issue, never happened here with my previous provider.

srlawren

@pinkyangel sounds like a phone issue rather than network.  Do you have access to another unlocked (or locked to Telus/Koodo) phone you could try your SIM in?  If you get LTE on the other phone, it would indicate your phone is the issue, and otherwise it might be your account (but I don't know of any account issues that would only let you connect to HSPA and not LTE--even the "3G" data plans are delivered over both networks so it can't even be that).

If you don't have access to another phone, how about putting a friend's or family memeber's SIM into your phone briefly to see if you get LTE with their SIM card?  That would accomplish a similar test.  If their SIM gets LTE in your phone, it's your account, and if it doesn't, it your phone.

pinkyangel

I actually just tried to type 

step 1 - access hidden service mode: Open the phone dialer and type in *#2263#, a menu will then open

step 2 - in the following menu, select option 7 for LTE/GSM Mode Only

BUT IT DOESNT LET ME PICK ANYTHING.

It only shows MMI complete.

pinkyangel

I have the problem. I am using P9 and first joined Public Mobile 2 months ago. Everything looks good and I got 4G connections. However recently in mid of Oct to till now. I only see my only connected to 3G no 4G at all. My plan is 9 + 3GB BONUS at 4G LTE Speed /90 Days and it is abou 60 days only, I only used 845.837  /  12288 MB.

How come I didnt get 4G connections? Thanks.

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Glad to hear it was all figured out @Theprincipal! This will definitely be of help for others who might encounter the same issue.

I

@Watoko wrote:

Great investigative work and..

@Theprincipal wrote:

apparently this is more common on phones that were purchased from wind mobile (before freedom mobile) and then unlocked and moved to public mobile. Older wind phones are set to prioritize 3G networks since wind did not have 4G.

LOL of course, WIND.

I purchased a my iPhone 5S from Wind "gently used".  It was unlocked (thankfully) and worked for me for a while, until I found Public Mobile.  I had already done multiple refreshes to ensure factory settings were cleared.

@TheOldVR wrote:

@Theprincipal: so I'm actually out in your area quite often and don't have the same problem, I also checked with my chick (I'm gonna get in trouble for that reference..... Smiley Tongue) as she lives in the east end and she's on LTE/4G all the time.

She has a Lumia 640 (Windows) and I have a Huawei Ascend XT (Android).

So - not sure what do say expect that I would try my sim in someone else's phone just for the hell of it. Also - We should confirm that you are not getting 4G anywhere else? Also, your phones didn't (auto)load any updates by any chance did they?

Smiley Tongue On a separate note.... before I get all the smart remarks regarding the Windows Phone.... yes, my chick is one of the remaining 11 users of a Windows Phone in Canada Smiley Tongue.

Happy Thursday Peeps!

Lol, @TheOldVR, friends don't let friends use windows phone.  Smiley Happy The redeeming quality is its not a carrier phone.  Good news is problem identified and solved.  

pckku
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@will13amGood detective work

Watoko

Great investigative work and..

@Theprincipal wrote:

apparently this is more common on phones that were purchased from wind mobile (before freedom mobile) and then unlocked and moved to public mobile. Older wind phones are set to prioritize 3G networks since wind did not have 4G.

LOL of course, WIND.

Theprincipal

@TheOldVR

I wouldn't say that! You guys ruled some things out for me and got me!

And I agree. Hopefully others find this helpful in the future.

TheOldVR

@Theprincipal Nice find - You didn't need us!!!

Actually your note is a good one that will probably help others out. Thanks for sharing.

@ShawnC13 will be proud as we didn't tag a MOD even once!!!! LOL.

Theprincipal

Success! Ok, I have found a solution. I'll check with the wife when she's home to confirm it is the same. This is a hardware issue and not a public mobile issue!

step 1 - access hidden service mode: Open the phone dialer and type in *#2263#, a menu will then open

step 2 - in the following menu, select option 7 for LTE/GSM Mode Only

This seems to force the phone to reestablis it's connection to the LTE network.

Potential cause - apparently this is more common on phones that were purchased from wind mobile (before freedom mobile) and then unlocked and moved to public mobile. Older wind phones are set to prioritize 3G networks since wind did not have 4G. Apparently this saved on battery life.

TheOldVR

@Theprincipal: so I'm actually out in your area quite often and don't have the same problem, I also checked with my chick (I'm gonna get in trouble for that reference..... Smiley Tongue) as she lives in the east end and she's on LTE/4G all the time.

She has a Lumia 640 (Windows) and I have a Huawei Ascend XT (Android).

So - not sure what do say expect that I would try my sim in someone else's phone just for the hell of it. Also - We should confirm that you are not getting 4G anywhere else? Also, your phones didn't (auto)load any updates by any chance did they?

Smiley Tongue On a separate note.... before I get all the smart remarks regarding the Windows Phone.... yes, my chick is one of the remaining 11 users of a Windows Phone in Canada Smiley Tongue.

Happy Thursday Peeps!

if you have tried all teh suggestions above and still nothing is working, i would suggest sending a private message to the mods, let them know what you tried, give them your account details and let them look at it from their side.

Theprincipal

Hi There,

Thanks for the replies.

My phone is a Galaxy S5, my wife's is a galaxy S4.

We are located in the East end of Toronto.

I also find it odd we are both having the same issue. I can't say weather or not it started at the same time, as I likely didn't notice right away. It was more of a gradual "hey... look at that".

TheOldVR

@Theprincipal Sorry if I've missed this but what phones do you and your wife have?

It's odd that both would do the same thing at the same time!

Also, where abouts are you located just in case others can verify if they see the same thing in your area.

Happy Thursday!!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Theprincipal, check preferred network type and ensure that LTE/4G is selected.  It is obvious but leave no stone unturned.  APN setting do not affect the network type.  If the APN is wrong, you simply get no data connection.  Any data connection will confirm that APN is correct.  What phone model do you have.  It may be worthwhile doing some searching on the net to see if any other owners have similar issues.  Anyway, there isn't anything wrong with the service at the Public Mobile end.  There are no other reports of lost LTE in this forum. 

youbme

Hello @Theprincipal,

That sounds very peculiar. Did you recently update your phone's software or modify settings in any way? If you let us know what type of phone you have, then we can help you troubleshoot further.

If you haven't already, shut down the phone, remove the SIM, then reinsert the SIM and turn it back on - sometimes that's all it takes...

Need Help? Let's chat.