cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Ontario public mobile number work in Montreal

Nits
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am on a 128$ promotional plan for province wide calling with 12 GB of data. I am travelling to Montreal over the weekend. Wanted to understand if my data will work so that i can use google maps and will i be able to make calls.

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mimmo wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

if you want to make and/or receive any calls while in Montreal, you can pick up one of the Long Distance add-ons. 

@srlawren  I believe you can make calls within Quebec with a Ontario sim, but you can not make calls to Ontario while in Quebec nor recieve any calls unless you have the long distence addon 

@mimmo thank you for catching this, I forgot to mention that part.  You are 100% correct.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

RLBL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

How to make and get calls anywhere in Canada without a LD add-on (valid procedure for Android, and likely iOS):

1 - Get Fongo (get the app, and register www.fongo.com). gets you a free number

2 - (if desired) Get Hangouts 

3 - (if desired) Get the Hangouts Dialer (valid on Android, would need others to confirm on iOS)

4 - When leaving your province of origin, forward your cell to Fongo

- All calls received will ring your fongo number (in fact, you can receive calls worldwide if connected to Data)

- Make all calls using Hangouts if you want your number shown in the receiver's caller ID, or use Fongo*

* calls made from Fongo will use your Canadian Data minutes (0.5Mb/min more or less as advertised). If outside of Canada, connect to Wifi or a data roaming plan and make calls back to Canada using data

I would say no best thing to do if you only going Montreal for limited time best way to continue your service without interceptions get a 8 dollars long distance add on which will give U 200 mins which if u don't use all they roll over to next billing cycle and there another one for 15 dollars 400 mins depending on how many calls you planning or expecting to make or get you can pick add on according to need
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I can confirm that outbound calls do work but only within which ever province that you are in, not across Canada.  It is unfortunate that they don't do the same for the inbound calls. 

@Nits wrote:

Thanks for information. Can i call on the toll free numbers..

When you move to another province, calling to that province you are in is free. But you cannot receive any calls without having long distance add-on. Toll free are always free as long as you have reception. 

Nits
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for information. Can i call on the toll free numbers..

mimmo

@srlawren wrote:

if you want to make and/or receive any calls while in Montreal, you can pick up one of the Long Distance add-ons. 

@srlawren  I believe you can make calls within Quebec with a Ontario sim, but you can not make calls to Ontario while in Quebec nor recieve any calls unless you have the long distence addon 

srlawren

@Nits if you want to make and/or receive any calls while in Montreal, you can pick up one of the Long Distance add-ons. For $8 you can get 200 mins to any number in Canada or the USA, or for $15 you can get 400 mins to Canada, the US, and I think about 18 international countries.  The minutes don't expire as long as your account is not suspended for 90 days.

EDIT:  @imm1304 beat me my "a moment".  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

Hey @Nits, the data and SMS/MMS will work fine.

Since you are on a provincial calling plan, you will need to make arrangement for calls while out of Ontario.  

You can purchase a long distance talk addon from the selfserve which doesn't expire until used in full.  

Alternatively, you can make use of the data and/or wifi to make free calls using Fongo or Google Hangout dialer, etc.  

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NitsData will work, but not calling since you only have provincial calling. 

Need Help? Let's chat.