cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to Alberta, changed my address under the profile, but still have been charged 15%HST

hxsports
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I changed my address for two weeks under my profile, but keep the same number.....but I still have been charged 15% HST from the original province where I from, so when will I start to be charged 5% HST since I will long term stay in Alberta???

13 REPLIES 13

hxsports

Thanks, I got everything solved from the mod, thanks

@hxsports wrote:

I just changed my number to Alberta Edmonton, will the 10%HST be refund to me or ? next payment date will be August 7th...

Please see the messages that I posted previously.  The tax that you have already paid will not be refunded.  Tax is applied to your top up when it is added to your account.  Going forward from now, you will be charged the applicable sales tax rate for Albertan residents. You're still going to have to pay 5% GST.

hxsports

I just changed my number to Alberta Edmonton, will the 10%HST be refund to me or ? next payment date will be August 7th...

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hxsports wrote:
that's ok, I have already auto paid three months bill. You know how long it takes to change to a new number?

As mentioned, it's immediate.  You go into the self-service portal, choose a new number, confirm (and possibly reboot your phone after confirming), and voila!  New number.

hxsports
that's ok, I have already auto paid three months bill. You know how long it takes to change to a new number?

@hxsports wrote:
so you mean I have to change the number? how long it takes for the number's change, thanks

If you wish to you pay Alberta sale tax rates for Public Mobile service, you'll need to change to a phone number from an Alberta city.  Phone numbers changes are immediate once you've made the request.  But, you won't get back any of the taxes you've already paid.  Also keep in mind that once you change your phone number, the old number is gone and you will no longer have access to it.

hxsports
so you mean I have to change the number? how long it takes for the number's change, thanks

Really, this is the only way to do it.  if it was as simple of just changing the address in the online profile, many would just put in a fake Alberta address to save on tax.  Sales tax is based off of the phone nubmer because a user is far less likely to use an out-of-province phone number just to save on tax.

If you're near a provincial border, it's still possible to save taxes, at least in theory.  if you purchase Public Mobile vouchers from a province would a lower sales tax rate, you still get the same face value on the voucher compared to if you bought that same voucher in a province with a higher tax rate.

hxsports

thanks

@NDesai wrote:

Tax is charged based on your number. 

Reference through search: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Provincial-Tax/m-p/119128

I can confirm from experience that this is indeed the case!

@hxsports wrote:

hmm, who are those mod? do you know their IDs?

Sorry, see my edited post. 

For future reference, here is the post of community mods contact info: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Modera...

hxsports

hmm, who are those mod? do you know their IDs?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Tax is charged based on your number. 

Reference through search: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Provincial-Tax/m-p/119128

Need Help? Let's chat.