cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there tax on the bill?

Sameer
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I always read about $120/90 day plan. Signing up, I saw there was Tax/HST charged, but not 100% if it just showed and just actually get charged.

Is the amount $120 flat (and for future, minus the rewards), or do we pay tax as well?

12 REPLIES 12

mr2115
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Not much tax on it, I checked mine, though i've only been a user since june, $8.82 in taxes as I'm on the $120/90 Day plan. 

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Speaking of tax: a Public Mobile SIM card now costs $5, free shipping, 5% GST, total cost = $5.25.

But hey, at least Canadian taxes don't pay Trump's wages, lol.

Cypm

we are in the tax country. always talk about tax and pay tax. 

I'm sure that at least one of my local vendors (an Esso station) charges tax.  A $100 Payment Voucher costs $112 at point of purchase.

bballstuffer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@bballstuffer wrote:

I can't confirm about this $120, but when I was with Public Mobile couple months back, it was a $45+tax 30 day plan and I was only charged $45 so no tax was being charged.

I will report back when I see this $120 or $120+tax show up on my credit card statement

So I checked my credit card bill this morning and I was only charged $120, seems like Public Mobile still needs to get their billings iron out

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth wrote:

Vendors charge sales tax on Payment Vouchers.  Unless you have a Status tax exemption and purchase from a vendor on Reservation land.

Are you sure about that?  A prepaid voucher should just be a straight up dollar amount, no tax (because all it's doing is applying credit to your account).  Otherwise you'll get double taxed when you go to pay for your service in the self service portal (unless the self service portal doesn't take tax off when you're paying via a payment voucher, but does when you're paying via credit card).

winterzcoming

I signed up 2 cell phones today. 1 acount got charged 120.00 and the other got charged 126.00.

This is what shows up under my pending charges for my credit card anyways. 

So 1 account got charged tax and the other didnt. I think I got lucky on the 1 account.

Vendors charge sales tax on Payment Vouchers.  Unless you have a Status tax exemption and purchase from a vendor on Reservation land.

When I first signed up with Public Mobile no tax was charged on the account at any time.  I purchased a $100 Payment Voucher, it became a $100 balance on my PM Self-Serve account, I chose a $90/90-day plan, and $90 was then deducted from my balance.  No taxes were explicitly charged by PM at any time.

But when I recently signed a couple friends up with Public Mobile, taxes were charged when their accounts were activated.  So a $120/90-day plan actually cost something like $135.60, at least the first time.  (As a side note, PM offered different payment options but - at the time, anyways - would not allow mixed or combined payments and would not allow multiple Payment Vouchers, and this was a bit of a hassle when the largest Payment Voucher denomination was $100.)

I've since renewed my 90-day plan twice and haven't been charged any taxes.  I'm not sure if my friends will pay taxes since their 90-day plans haven't yet been renewed.

bballstuffer

I can't confirm about this $120, but when I was with Public Mobile couple months back, it was a $45+tax 30 day plan and I was only charged $45 so no tax was being charged.

I will report back when I see this $120 or $120+tax show up on my credit card statement

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There were reports over on the RedflagDeals forums about people only being charged $120 flat on signup, interestingly enough.  But that seems to be a glitch, tax is definitely supposed to be added on.

Sameer

Thanks, thats what I figured from reading old posts too. Just wanted to make sure. 

neilselden
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @Sameer,

Yes, there is tax charged at the time when you add funds to your account, or when you purchase a top-up card at a retail location.

Cheers,

Neil

Need Help? Let's chat.