Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Typically, you can move your number if:

• It's an active mobile or landline number
  • We have service in that area
  • It's from a service provider in the same local calling area
  • Number Portability is available in that area 

Tips for moving to Public Mobile

• Keep it live. Don't cancel your current service before switching to us. Your phone number must be active in order to move it
  • Have it at hand. Have your phone, an invoice from your current service provider and if possible, your service agreement handy when you move your number. Just to be safe, you should review your existing service agreement to find out what charges might apply
  • Don't delegate. Only the authorized account holder can transfer a number

Click here for porting instructions.

683 REPLIES 683

Service will be the same, as this service is on the Telus Network.  

I too agree with the temp number before porting in your existing number.  Once service is working fully, initiate the port.

@tqtrinh

That is probably the safest way of doing things.  Getting a temporary new number.  Use it for a few days to make sure that you like the reception, data speed, etc.  Then you can port over your old number via the self service account.  

tqtrinh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there!

I'm new here, glad to be part of the community!

I just received my sim card and I'm about to activate it on the following days.

I read somewhere few days ago that it's best to activate and test everything out with a new number for a few days and then port the existing number. Is this still valid?

I have tried looking for this post but couldn't find it.

I'm from Telus and I have a monthly plan, I used to be prepaid years ago.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@JoshH wrote:

Hi, I just tried to port over my number from Chatr. I got the error message Sorry, your 4-digit PIN was not accepted. 

I can send and recieve SMS, and make outgoing phone calls, however, I cannot recieve phone calls. 

Can you please advise on how to proceed from here?

I’m sorry you’re experiencing issues porting. It sounds like a failed port. You’ll need to send a private message to @CS_Agent with all the details about both accounts. In the meantime your Chatr sim should still work. 

JoshH
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I just tried to port over my number from Chatr. I got the error message Sorry, your 4-digit PIN was not accepted. 

I can send and recieve SMS, and make outgoing phone calls, however, I cannot recieve phone calls. 

Can you please advise on how to proceed from here?

srlawren

@CharleneW two questions:

1) How long ago did you submit the port request?

2) Have you rebooted your phone after receiving the message that it was successful?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CharleneW

Hi I am new here and want to keep my number.  It said that it was transferred successfully but it’s not!   HELp!!

rahmedkanak

Usually the response time is 48 hours.

dqv

Sent a message last night to @Moderator_Team. How long is the expected wait time before I can expect a reply?

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you have rebooted your phone already, your new sim only works for outgoing, and your old sim doesn't work I would probably send a message to the mods to have them check your account.

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

• Please contact the Community Moderator Team to get help with you account.
    • They are Public Mobile support employees who can help with your issue (More details)

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue.

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time]
    • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
    • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
    • There is no need to send multiple messages.

How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator

taoliu

No, It stopped working yesterday.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Is the sim from your old provider still working for incoming calls?

taoliu

Hello,

Last night I purchased a sim card at a London Drug store and they helped me to do the phone number transferring and told me it would complete in a couple of hours. But now it is still not working. Please help.

Rockdaddy22

@dqv wrote:

Hi,

Not sure if this is the corrrect topic to post in but I have a problem:

Tried to activate sim card online and transfer my active number over from Cityfone.
Recieved this error message:

Error message received: "Unable to Process Transaction
Sorry, we are unable to verify your credit card information, so this purchase could not be completed. Your credit card has not been charged."

I thought it just meant the activation process failed and my credit card wouldn't be charged but it actually was. publicmobileactivationfail.png

creditcharged.png

I've checked and my account has not been created and my current number still works on the old provider. Could I get some clarification/help here?

Please send a private message to @CS_Agent they’ll be able to solve this for you. 

dqv

Hi,

Not sure if this is the corrrect topic to post in but I have a problem:

Tried to activate sim card online and transfer my active number over from Cityfone.
Recieved this error message:

Error message received: "Unable to Process Transaction
Sorry, we are unable to verify your credit card information, so this purchase could not be completed. Your credit card has not been charged."

I thought it just meant the activation process failed and my credit card wouldn't be charged but it actually was. publicmobileactivationfail.png

creditcharged.png

I've checked and my account has not been created and my current number still works on the old provider. Could I get some clarification/help here?

Donderick23

Hello all!

Recently changed my recent freedom mobile number to public mobile and it went quite smoothly! 

Straight forward and simple. 

So if anyone you know or even yourself that what's to transfer from freedom to public. It's easy and doable.

Hope this helps a few people! Man Happy

Cheers,

Donderick23

apvm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Received a text that the port was successful.  Looks like I missed or there were no noticifation from their website when I 1st submitted the port request so I clicked again and it  gave me the unable to port message.

mimmo

@apvm ports can take upto a couple hours for cell lines. Land lines 2 days. If it has been longer then you have a stuck port and need mods to restart the port.

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

If you have a Porting issue, please also include:

• The number you want to port, PM sim number, old account number, old account name exacly as on bill

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Totonto Time] from 9am to 7:30pm [Totonto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

Additional Useful Information:

• Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-" during the search) to find some informative posts and answers to many common questions about Public Mobile

apvm

Ok, it looks like it is now partially ported, message in/out no problem, call out no problem but it goes to voice mail if call in.  any ideas?  TIA

Jinjangbesi

@apvm wrote:

Is there an account number for Petrol Canada prepaid?  When I ported the number from speakout to Petrol Canada they did not gvie me an account number

Sorry for the confusion. I think your Phone # and email is the identifications for Petrol Canada prepaid.

Not sure whether you need to provide the email (from Petrol Canada prepaid) to the mod team.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jinjangbesi wrote:

@apvm wrote:

Unable to port my number from Petrol Canada Mobility to PM, messaged mod team, hopefully it can resolve,  by the way, the website won't let me port and suggested comminity forum to get help.

For some reason, porting prepaid (not only Koodo prepaid) to PM might have issues. Happened for one of my friend too. Since you've messaged mod team, it should be good. They would be able to port for you. Remember to include your A/C, PM number, Petrol Canada number and your PIN to them.

Mine sucessfully ported on Monday morning as I sent my PM to the mod team during the weekend. GL

@Jinjangbesi, The problem with porting prepaid numbers is for any prepaid under the Telus banner.  This includes Telus, Koodo, and PC mobile(prepaid).

apvm

Is there an account number for Petrol Canada prepaid?  When I ported the number from speakout to Petrol Canada they did not gvie me an account number

Jinjangbesi

@apvm wrote:

Unable to port my number from Petrol Canada Mobility to PM, messaged mod team, hopefully it can resolve,  by the way, the website won't let me port and suggested comminity forum to get help.

For some reason, porting prepaid (not only Koodo prepaid) to PM might have issues. Happened for one of my friend too. Since you've messaged mod team, it should be good. They would be able to port for you. Remember to include your A/C, PM number, Petrol Canada number and your PIN to them.

Mine sucessfully ported on Monday morning as I sent my PM to the mod team during the weekend. GL

apvm

No, I entered all the details and waited and it just reflashed the page that I entered the details.  So I re-enter the details again and tried and it gave me that it can not port my number and asked to recheck if number is correct and get help from comminity.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@apvm, Is there a specific error message when you enter the number to port?  Or an error after you enter the details that are requested?

apvm

AliceGlass

Thank you for this! Was very helpful - had no idea that I had to do all that. I have an ASUS ZenFone 3ZE552KL (i highly recommend it btw), so I was able to find the specific numbers needed for my phone.

Despite being enlightening and cool - my SIM still isn't working/activated (despite me receiving a text from PublicMobile this morning thanking me for activating. :-x ).  Have been in contact with a moderator, so am now just waiting and hoping they can figure out what remains to be done.

Jinjangbesi

@Jinjangbesi wrote:

I was having issue porting my Koodo Prepaid to Public Mobile. Luckily I saw this message. I've sent private message to Moderator_Team. Thanks @computergeek541

My number was ported this morning. Everything goes well and can make/receive calls immediately after rebooting the phone. Thanks to @CS_Agent for their quick response.

You probably need the moderator help.  Just be patient.  Hopefully, they will get hold of you within 24 hours.  

In the meantime, you might want to try the following to see whether you can get your data working.  I copied this from the knowledge base.

1. Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visiting https://apn-canada.gishan.net/. Select the brand and model of your phone, scroll down the page and then select Public Mobile. After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.
    • Some models of iPhones do not allow you to manually update your APNs. If this is your case, using your mobile phone, visit co.nz. This will automatically download the required APNs in your phone settings.
    • If you have an LG phone and you still aren’t able to use your data after all of this, we suggest doing a factory reset of your phone.

AliceGlass

I'm able to call out from my second SIM, and send texts. But I can't receive calls unless i have my VM SIM put in (my phone has dual SIM, so I have both in at the same time right now). 

I've rebooted many times. I need data, that's why I switched to Public Mobile to begin with. 

Thank you for the response. I'll try contacting moderators. 

Need Help? Let's chat.