cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my phone in the States (Florida) for March break

Sarahjm17
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be in Florida for March break & will need access to internet & maps for travelling. I'm currently in Ontario, Canada. What is the best, economical way to get a plan? Would it be cheaper to just buy a different SIM card for my phone to use when I'm in the States? I have a Samsung Galaxy s8. Thank you in advance!!

14 REPLIES 14

Sarahjm17

@mimmo that's a good idea, thank you!! Yes, definitely won't be using Facebook & YouTube, only when on wifi.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Sarahjm17  when i went to Hawaii, I downloded  the maps on wifi that way i could use them in offliine mode.  We managed 10 days on 250 mb.  lots of places had wifi.  only needed it really when  trying to look something up while driving, and of course no youtube facebook etc while on data.

@Anonymouswrote:

@Sarahjm17, to add US roaming add-ons, you can do it from your self service portal, or by calling *611 on your phone.  If you want to do it using the phone, there must be a credit card on file in your account.  If you do it through the self service portal, keep in mind that it is a 2 step process.  First you ad the funds to your account, and then you actually buy the add-on.  Remember that the 10 days start when you make the purchase.  it can not be future-dated.

If you need to re-add the add-on before the 10 days are up, you need to send a private message to the moderator team.  (you can bookmark the link (here) in the line below).

Click here to send them a private message.
You can find information regarding the moderators team by following this link.

In-depth guide on Add-ons by @srlawren:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974/highlight/true#M22572

Sarahjm17

The thing is I don't have access to a GPS. Additionally, I don't really need access to talk & text. More so internet for looking things up & Google maps.

clavije
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi , just borrow a hand held GPS it does not need data and buy the addon for unlimited talk for $8  that is what i do when travelling to usa

Sarahjm17

Thank you so much!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sarahjm17, to add US roaming add-ons, you can do it from your self service portal, or by calling *611 on your phone.  If you want to do it using the phone, there must be a credit card on file in your account.  If you do it through the self service portal, keep in mind that it is a 2 step process.  First you ad the funds to your account, and then you actually buy the add-on.  Remember that the 10 days start when you make the purchase.  it can not be future-dated.

If you need to re-add the add-on before the 10 days are up, you need to send a private message to the moderator team.  (you can bookmark the link (here) in the line below).

Click here to send them a private message.
You can find information regarding the moderators team by following this link.

Sarahjm17

Thank you for your reply! Who are the moderators in case I need to add more??

Sarahjm17

How do I add it please!? Thank you!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sarahjm17, 1GB is $20.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sarahjm17, small addition to what @NDesai said.  Although YOU cannot re-purchase the same add-on before the 10 days are up, you could private message the moderators, and they owuld be able to re-add it for you if needed.

Sarahjm17

Thank you for your reply! How much is 1G of US data please??

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

In addition to the reply above, i just want you to know that you will not be able to purchase the same add-on before the 10 days of expiry if you run out of data. For example, if you purchased 1 GB US data add-on and you used it all up in the first 5 days, you will not be able to purchase the 1GB add-on again because the expiry period is not expired yet. It will not affect talk and text as both are unlimited. 

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM offers several roaming packages for the US.  You can either buy a talk/text/data package, or just buy data alone.  Cheapest plan with data is $10 for 250MB data over 10 days (no talk/text).

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans#add-ons

Need Help? Let's chat.