cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return of Canada Wide Texting.

garby
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would like to see a return of a Canada only texting option. As a limited user of texting, but one out of neccessity, I would like to see a lower priced package for only Canada. I feel like I am paying for something I am never going to use.

17 REPLIES 17

@Someone_here wrote:
Did it dropped to 2 gigs for your accounts as well or only new accounts?

Old sign ups are grandfathered. 

Did it dropped to 2 gigs for your accounts as well or only new accounts?

After 3 months! Wow!

@Someone_here wrote:
@will13am wrote:

I have a bunch of tablets and they all have the Fido data only plan.  Now that I have been a customer for a while, loyalty makes the cost $7.50 a month. 

Hey @will13am,

I knew Fido had great Tablet plans, however it seems like you now have to be a postpaid customer to be eligible! Am I wrong?

Furthermore, how does the "loyalty" thing works with these Fido plans?

I guess an ideal situation (except for those on fall promo) would be a dual SIM phone with PM current $25 promo + your discounted Fido tablet plan! That would get you prov-wide + text + 2gb data for $32.50, plus additional Gbs of data at only $10, adding up as you need them without even thinking about it...

P.S. Oh yeah, hopefully you won't roam while on a trip -lets say in Australia- with your Fido tablet only plan... "U.S. data roaming is $7.99/50MB for 24 hours and International data roaming is $10/MB for Europe and $15/MB for all other applicable international destinations."

Due to extreme popularity, the terms for getting the data plan deal has changed.  You need to be an existing customer with a calling plan to be eligible.  But, to me that is merely a hurdle, not a wall.  Just find a friend who will activate the plan and assign the plan back over to you the next day.  As for loyalty, after 3 month, call in and ask for it, they will give you a 50% discount on the data only plans.  I use these in my tablet and I make sure that roaming data is turned off.  I have also had Fido turn off calling and SMS at their end.  The pay per use cost is punitive.  BTW, it used to be 3 gigs of data per month, now they dropped it down to 2 gigs. 

@will13am wrote:

I have a bunch of tablets and they all have the Fido data only plan.  Now that I have been a customer for a while, loyalty makes the cost $7.50 a month. 

Hey @will13am,

I knew Fido had great Tablet plans, however it seems like you now have to be a postpaid customer to be eligible! Am I wrong?

I guess an ideal situation (except for those on fall promo) would be a dual SIM phone with PM current $25 promo + your discounted Fido tablet plan! That would get you prov-wide + text + 2gb data for $32.50, plus additional Gbs of data at only $10, adding up as you need them without even thinking about it...

P.S. Oh yeah, hopefully you won't roam while on a trip -lets say in Australia- with your Fido tablet only plan... "U.S. data roaming is $7.99/50MB for 24 hours and International data roaming is $10/MB for Europe and $15/MB for all other applicable international destinations."

@garby wrote:

@srlawren  It is not free it is packaged pricing, All carriers offer package pricing.

Trust me I have played with the pricing packages to find the best deal for my needs. The pricing is better than the compition, but only if you pick three options.

Three months of texting with PM $70 (before package pricing), when Koodo and others are $45. $45 package will do my needs, so I feel like I am over purchasing for the text. It is still a descent price, but it would be better if I wasn't paying for something I won't ever use.

I have played with data only service, but voip is still to unreliable on data..

So what VOIP options have you tried?  I am a super fan of hangouts.  I call with that app all the time and it works like a normal phone call.  In fact, I chat with my wife exclusively on the app because of convenience.  We want to save the unlimited minutes, lol.  The other day, a friend vacationing in LA called me via hangouts and he was blown away by the call quality. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
@garby well if you're only buying texting then yes it's $70 but if you add a second service then it's $55 for the texting and if you add a third service the texting is free. I realize it's bundle pricing but the fact that (any talk option) + (any data option) is the same cost as (any talk option) + (any data option) + (global texting) makes it basically free.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

garby

@srlawren  It is not free it is packaged pricing, All carriers offer package pricing.

Trust me I have played with the pricing packages to find the best deal for my needs. The pricing is better than the compition, but only if you pick three options.

Three months of texting with PM $70 (before package pricing), when Koodo and others are $45. $45 package will do my needs, so I feel like I am over purchasing for the text. It is still a descent price, but it would be better if I wasn't paying for something I won't ever use.

I have played with data only service, but voip is still to unreliable on data..

@will13am wrote:

Hey @will13am,

@srlawren wrote:
I agree in principle.... Though not at PM. Currently a 90 day 12GB data-only plan would run you $150, or you could have the current promo plan (that sadly ends May 10) that has same data plus prov-wide calling and global texting for $5 more. Or, even better for those of us that got that same plan for $120 last fall. 🙂 so given the choice of paying $30 more every 90 days for less, I'll definitely stock with my 2016 Fall Promo plan for the foreseeable future!

That said, data only may be more practical at other carriers. I think Fido in particular is known for having great data only tablet plans that can still be used on smartphones with the data-based services you mentioned. 🙂

I have a bunch of tablets and they all have the Fido data only plan.  Now that I have been a customer for a while, loyalty makes the cost $7.50 a month.  There are days where I go out with a tablet in hand.  I have full access to everything including talk and text.

srlawren
I agree in principle.... Though not at PM. Currently a 90 day 12GB data-only plan would run you $150, or you could have the current promo plan (that sadly ends May 10) that has same data plus prov-wide calling and global texting for $5 more. Or, even better for those of us that got that same plan for $120 last fall. 🙂 so given the choice of paying $30 more every 90 days for less, I'll definitely stock with my 2016 Fall Promo plan for the foreseeable future!

That said, data only may be more practical at other carriers. I think Fido in particular is known for having great data only tablet plans that can still be used on smartphones with the data-based services you mentioned. 🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Data is king!  If your plan has data, there are numerous free text applications that work off of data.  I have seen a lot of people ditch calling and text to go with a data only plan. 

srlawren

@garby are you on either a 30 or 90 day plan that also includes at least province-wide talk and at least SOME data?  If so, you may or may not have noticed, the current global texting option is actually 100% free.  So, I can't see how they could get much cheaper!

If you don't believe me, head to the plan tool https://publicmobile.ca/plans and pick a 30 or 90 day plan, pick something other than NO TALK, and something other than NO DATA, and then try experimenting with NO TEXT or GLOBAL TEXT.  You will see the price remains the same.*

EDIT:  Fixed link to the plans page, sorry about that.

( * this may not be the case for promo plans, I haven't checked, but for all other in-market plans yes)

garby

Thank you. I never saw the post in Labs.

@MarieHelene_L, it is already there multiple times 😉

There is the one I linked in my first post, as well as this one.

MarieHelene_L
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hey @garby

Feel free to post this idea in the Public Lab! I'm sure you're not the only one who would like to have this option back  Smiley Tongue

Marie

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, PIN etc... This is a public forum!*

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

I completely understand, I feel the same way...

You can support this idea!

Need Help? Let's chat.