cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ported out, account auto closed, had credit

jonnyboy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I assumed I would be able to change my number after porting out and continue to use my Public Mobile SIM with a different number. I had a $42 balance so was hoping to use it as a second line.

How do I get me credit and account t reinstated?

11 REPLIES 11

jonnyboy

Yep, live and learn
 on the bright side I have a good win-back plan and have both my lines in the same account.
I absolutely see the benefit of PM for its flexibility, community (thanks all above) and discounts but for me Fido was the better option for all in one billing and usage even as much as Fido have been extremely frustrating at times over the last 10 years.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jonnyboy yeah I'm struggling to see where it's documented.  I'm sure it' s all on the CRTC website somewhere at least.  But it's not just a "default option" to close the account, I believe it's a requirement of the port, by CRTC rule.  As for losing your available funds balance, that's "just how it works" on pre-paid accounts.  It's unfortunate you didn't check into it first.  A community search or even posting a new thread with the question would have corrected your assumptions rather quickly.  Oh well, live and learn I guess?  😞

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jonnyboy

It did indeed, I'm back to Fido now though with my account re-established with the same partial post paid balance showing due from when my account was closed 3 weeks ago, same account number, same payment details, cotact details etc.
When I opened my PM account I did it with a generic local number. My ported number followed days later when I used the 'change my number' after setting up my account online access.
Worth noting is that in the terms of service I don't see anything about cancelling accounts or defaulting on account credit when porting.
Its all splitting hairs though as I can see why in 99% of cased cancellation is the correct deefault option particularly for contracted post paid and auto charge pre-paid so users dont keep racking up billing amounts..However you have to admit that with pre paid.. I've lost the over payments that I made to my account and essentially paid for a service I'm unable to use unlike post paid where I only pay for what I do use.

srlawren

@jonnyboy wrote:

Absolutely, I wanted to keep using those funds with PM

@jonnyboy actually, your assumption that the line would stay active but with a different number was flawed no matter what provider or account type you have/had in Canada.  Porting automatically closes the source account once completed--even when you ported from Fido this would have happened.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jonnyboy

Absolutely, I wanted to keep using those funds with PM

srlawren

@jonnyboy pre-paid accounts work a lot like a gift card from a store:  once you load the value on it, there's no way to refund those funds, and the only way to use them is to purchase goods from the vendor whose name is on the card.  Just for future reference.  

jonnyboy

yep, that was my experience with Fido.. however I hadn't factored in the pre pay vs post pay scenario.
Fido close it then charge whats owing. I'd already overpaid PM so figured what was mine would stay mine.
The price you pay to keep a number as had I switched out the number before hand, I'd have lost the number but kept the $

srlawren

@jonnyboy unfortunately, assumptions should almost always be validated!  😞

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@jonnyboy wrote:

I assumed I would be able to change my number after porting out and continue to use my Public Mobile SIM with a different number. I had a $42 balance so was hoping to use it as a second line.

How do I get me credit and account t reinstated?

@jonnyboy No, you cannot use the sim/account if you port out. When you port out to another carrier, your public mobile account will automatically close and you will forfeit the balance you have. 

To add to what @NDesai, this would be true of any provider that once you port out it closes your account.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Shiniestknight

Unfortunately I don't think it will be possible, as once your account has been closed, all balance is forfeited. This is made pretty clear. You can message a moderator, but I don't think there is much they can do.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@jonnyboy No, you cannot use the sim/account if you port out. When you port out to another carrier, your public mobile account will automatically close and you will forfeit the balance you have. 

Need Help? Let's chat.