cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My data SpeedTest results on 3 bars....

B_Muller
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I posted https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Is-it-normal-for-WIFI-ON-amp-LTE-symb...

....and I just did a test with results attached. You can clearly see only 3 bars signal strength. Are Ping/Jitter/Packet Loss important?

I got burned almost 50 mb of data out of my miserable 200 data add-ons,ouch!!!SpeedTest 1.PNG

11 REPLIES 11

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tqtrinh wrote:

Hey there,

I just activated my sim card and data.

Did a SpeedTest with Data, it just ate 300MB after two attempts after stopping when the download was over.

Is that normal?
When I do a SpeedTest on Wifi, it doesn't go over 20-30MB Download and Upload combined.

Wifi speed depends on your wifi router.  Some older router are rated 54Mbps max.  Therefore, depending on the router load at the time doing the speed test, 20 - 30 Mbps is normal.

tqtrinh

Hey there,

I just activated my sim card and data.

Did a SpeedTest with Data, it just ate 300MB after two attempts after stopping when the download was over.

Is that normal?
When I do a SpeedTest on Wifi, it doesn't go over 20-30MB Download and Upload combined.

B_Muller

@will13am wrote:

@B_Muller, doing speed tests and gloating about it is a truly thankless job.  You shill for your service provider at your own expense.  I rarely do speed tests, but when they are done it is usually part of troubleshooting slow or no data.  The chances of burning a lot of usage is low.  The best proxy for data performance is the normal every day usage.  If that works, data performance is good.  The raw numbers only matter in advertisements. 

Lessons learned!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@B_Muller, doing speed tests and gloating about it is a truly thankless job.  You shill for your service provider at your own expense.  I rarely do speed tests, but when they are done it is usually part of troubleshooting slow or no data.  The chances of burning a lot of usage is low.  The best proxy for data performance is the normal every day usage.  If that works, data performance is good.  The raw numbers only matter in advertisements. 

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The data add ons are not LTE throttled.  I would never benchmark the add ons anyway.  Just a waste of data.  

I uploaded 2 GB and it took 3 hours, which was not impressive.   I bet I would have had better results if I benchmarked it!

Of course, your actual speed depends on the cell site you use, what bands are available, strength of the signal, and how busy it is.  ISP's have been known to give more priority to speed test sites than regular sites, to give you an idea how useless speedtest sites data is, and their results are! 

I only uploaded though my data plan, because I had 3 GB left that was going to expire in a couple of days.  There is zero benefit blowing through your data add on though.    

B_Muller

@mimmo wrote:

@B_Muller wrote:

I posted https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Is-it-normal-for-WIFI-ON-amp-LTE-symb...

....and I just did a test with results attached. You can clearly see only 3 bars signal strength. Are Ping/Jitter/Packet Loss important?

I got burned almost 50 mb of data out of my miserable 200 data add-ons,ouch!!!SpeedTest 1.PNG

@B_Muller why are you calling it a miseable add-on? What plan are you on?

Howdy, I'm on $10 basic and bought 200 MB LTE data Add-Ons. I bought the 200 MB just to test out PM's LTE on my LG G6 (Koodo).

If I were the owner of Public Mobile, I would give everyone 100 MB data free so that they can test out the LTE data.

I'm testing out PM because I've two SpeakOut lines that I'm trying to move over to either Freedom Mobile or Public Mobile.  

B_Muller

@Effort wrote:

Xo72YFy

Yup.

Wow, almost 120 MB, but KB/s (my eyes are bad, lol).

mimmo

@B_Muller wrote:

@B_Muller why are you calling it a miseable add-on? What plan are you on?

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Xo72YFy

Yup.

B_Muller

@popping wrote:

Someone told me that you get full LTE speed on the frist 2 days after activation.  Doing speed test will eat up lots of your quota.

Tell me about it, LOL. Not going to do anymore tests....!

popping

Someone told me that you get full LTE speed on the frist 2 days after activation.  Doing speed test will eat up lots of your quota.

Need Help? Let's chat.