cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock phone?

rrrake
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I checked through the forums here, it seemed like Public Mobile should be able to unlock a phone if it was originally on the Koodo network as per the post here:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

When I emailed with my IMEI it took 48 hours the first time for them to ask for more information.  I provided this information and this time it took over 48 hours and they told me to call Koodo.

I am not a Koodo customer, I bought this phone used.  I explained this in a reply and asked if the forums were incorrect.  Over 48 hours later they replied again, this time full of spelling mistakes and seemingly ignoring all the information from my previous emails telling me to call Koodo again.

Can anyone actually tell me: Is it or is it not possible for Public Mobile to unlock my old Koodo phone?

18 REPLIES 18

I too had more success using Community to get answers than sending email through the web form. I was requesting my refund for shipping and by the time I received an email reply, @Mary_M had already provided me the appropriate information. I do believe, however that the email form specifically says 24-48 hour response time.

Out of curiosity...

Do the email people and the community people work in different locations? I'm hearing more chatter about Vancouver than I do about Toronto.

rodjames
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I've had more luck on here / FB than email.

rrrake

@Shazia_K

Thanks for getting this all sorted out so quickly.  

The help I've recived here in the community from you and the other mods in the past was very quick and accurate, please keep up your great work!

Email support, not so much.  Maybe they could use a refresher course on some things (especially when it takes over 48 hours for a reply!)

Thank you again for answering my questions and getting this sorted out so quickly.

Unfortunate turn of events for you. We have noticed responsiveness in this forum is usually faster than the web form system. BUT there is no way to inform everyone who initially sends their issue to tech support by email. Robot Frustrated

Not many have the patience you showed to wait a week before posting here.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

rrrake

@Luddite

I started this whole process Sept 19th by emailing the information that post said is required.  So hardly 2 hours, I waited over a week.

After two 48+ hour waits for replies to email I couldn't wait any longer, but I figured I should ask the forums to make sure I hadn't misunderstood the information provided and was indeed just receiving bad information in the replies to my requests.

Well @rrrake at least you have an unlock code off eBay though a bit surprised you couldn't wait 2 hours for Community response.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@rrrake

I will only be able to confirm after reading the notes left on your account. 

Is it possible to private message me with your Public Mobile phone number? 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

rrrake

Shazia, 

Thanks for the confirmation.  

To everyone asking, it's an iphone 5s.  

Would there have been a reason why email support refused to help me 3 times now when I followed the procedures posted in that community post?

I added the money into my account as per that post expecting them to do it the first request and have since had to go with a more expensive unlock on ebay as the trip is coming up sooner than later and I couldn't risk not having it done.

Could you please pm me about getting the extra money I added into my account to cover the unlock refunded back?

Thanks again for clarifying.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @JaK

yes, we do unlock Koodo/Telus phones for $50, if it meets the criteria that @rrrake mentioned. 

@rrrake, please let me know if you need further help. 

Thanks, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

What is the make/model of your phone?

As @JaK has said, unless it's an iPhone, it will likely be cheaper to unlock elsewhere. There is a list of some here: Unlocking list and some forum members have used http://protechparts.ca and http://www.mobifree.ca successfully.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
No offense taken, sorry I was in the car and read the post very quickly. We'll see what @Shazia_K can do for you. If it's an android phone we might be able to find a cheap solution online somewhere. Do you mind sharing what kind of phone it is.

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @rrrake;

I agree with your interpretation of that Knowledge Base post, according to that PM should be able to unlock your Koodo locked phone. Granted it is a bit dated, PM has operated as a BYOP provider since that time and so has little occasion to unlock anymore, but if no longer providing that service they should obsolete the post. Maybe we can get a moderator to comment on whether the service is still available, @Shazia_K @Mary_M

That said, why do you want PM to do it for $50 when there are numerous 3rd party providers out there that will do this for less than 1/2 the cost?

rrrake

Nimbstah,

As I stated in the original email.

I bought the phone used.  I've used it on public mobile for the past 6+ months. 

I have never been a Koodo customer.

The link I provided says Public Mobile can unlock Koodo phones in good standing.

"Both your phone and your account must meet all of the eligibility conditions below:

Your phone must:
    • Be locked to the Telus network (a Public, Koodo or Telus Mobile phone)
    • Be attached to your Public Mobile account (the phone IMEI is registered to your account)
    • Not flagged as lost or stolen"

Nimbstah
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello rrrake,

Koodo unlocks your phone when the account it is attached to is still active.

If you ported your number from Koodo to Public, and your phone was the only line on that account, then your account got deactivated when you ported.

rrrake

Rockdaddy,

I appreciate you trying, but did you read the link I provided?

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Unlocking-Your-Phone/ta-p/5237

"Both your phone and your account must meet all of the eligibility conditions below:

Your phone must:
    • Be locked to the Telus network (a Public, Koodo or Telus Mobile phone)
    • Be attached to your Public Mobile account (the phone IMEI is registered to your account)
    • Not flagged as lost or stolen"

No offence meant, but if you are not going to provide helpful information please refrain from posting.

Rockdaddy22
We'll then Public Mobile has nothing to do with it, maybe I'm misunderstanding. If it's a Koodo locked phone you need Koodo to unlock it.

rrrake

While you are right, I want to use the phone in Europe while travelling.

So, yes.  I do need it unlocked.

Rockdaddy22
You don't need to unlock a Koodo, or tells phone to work on PM.
Need Help? Let's chat.