cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE throttled to ~1Mbit today

MK78
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So I've been doing random speed test the past few weeks, as I've been following the following thread where we're discussing that the speed on PM LTE is slower than it should be. http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Is-Public-Mobile-s-LTE-throttled-vs-Telus-...

After work today I was trying to download a podcast while on the go, and much to my disappointment it was taking forever to download. I did a speedtest, and lo and behold I was seeing a horribly slow LTE speed of about 1.2Mbps. I did a few more tests over the next couple hours and found out that when I have LTE enabled, my download speed is between 0.9Mbps-1.5Mbps, while the upload isn't throttled, reaches as high as 20Mbps.

Tested in several locations, from downtown Toronto to East end in Scarborough.

Oddly enough the 3G speeds aren't throttled, and I've had that hit as high as 20Mbps.

One thing that has me wondering, I've hit 7gb of my 12gb data. Is there some throttle limit when you reach a certain amount of usage?

12GB Data
7033.159  /  12288 MB

Here are some screenshots, I encourage people to test it, and check how much you've used.

List1.pngList2.pngtest1.pngtest2.pngtest3.pngtest4.png

Looking forward to hearing what people might be seeing.

14 REPLIES 14

MK78

@Mana wrote:
Hi,

I had also started a post asking people to post their speed test results. Most ppl had post their results with screen shots and location.

Please take a look at it as it may help you troubleshoot anything that has something to do with lower locations.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

You didn't provide a link to your post, I'd be more than happy to oblige with my results.

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Hi,

I had also started a post asking people to post their speed test results. Most ppl had posted their results with screen shots and location.

Please take a look at it as it may help you troubleshoot anything that has something to do with tower locations.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

MK78

@echf wrote:

@computergeek541 Wow! 80 mbps with Public Mobile? My speed never exceed 40 mbps...

Yeah no kidding, i've seen it hit just a bit over 40 at the start of a speedtest, then slowly dwindle down to 30-35...

Still no  answer on why that is. I imagine we'll never be told.

echf

@computergeek541 Wow! 80 mbps with Public Mobile? My speed never exceed 40 mbps...

echf

@Watoko You just somehow triggered the spam filter. Message the mod if you want to know more. 

I was also seeing strange stuff on April 26th.  5Mbps downloads but 20Mbps uploads. This was in the exact same place I was getting nearly 80Mbps a few days ago.

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Has there not already been another discussion of a known issue on the network where some users get affected by odd slowdowns like this?

Yeah for sure, it's definitely possible that it was an erroneous throttle. Maybe they're trying different things while trying to fix the main problem?

My initial thought was that it looked more like a routing issue, but I could be wrong!

MK78

I haven't experienced anything like it since i went to PM in november, that's why I figured it might be some sort of erroneous throttle

@MK78
Based on your large ping results, it seems like a routing issue on the Telus network. In any case, it appears to be resolved now.

MK78

Well, i just run a new test, and it seems it's back to "Normal", as it was before... Still slower than LTE should be, but that i can live with. ~1Mbps I could not.

I'll be keeping an eye on it.

test6_backtonormal.png

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Are you deleting my posts? They keep disappearing.........

As I have posted a reply about 3 times before and they keep disappearing, I too was experiencing issues with data at around 5:15 pm when I checked. This is resolved now, at 5:41 pm. So it was probably just a temporary network issue.

Can you run a test now on your phone and see if the result is any different to rule out a service issue during the time you ran your earlier tests? Thanks.

MK78

Here's an interesting wrinkle, my brother just came home and he's also on PM and the same plan on his Nexus 5, and no 1meg thottle on his phone....

Why am I getting throttled in the exact same spot? Something fishy goin on here.

test5_android.png

Need Help? Let's chat.