cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid SIM

Savannahwade91
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I'm new to the whole public community. But I just finished activating my new SIM and when I checked my iphone4 it said it would work with my phone and now that everything is complete its saying the SIM is invalid... Is there something simple I can do?
11 REPLIES 11

piscui

Actually, you can't assume your iPhone will stay unlocked indefinitely, unfortunately.  I'm not an iPhone guy, but apparently the phone can get re-locked by OS updates after the unlocking. 

Actually, that's not entirely true. If you do a software unlock (e.g. via jailbreak and unofficial iPhone hacking tools) then yes, unlocks will not survive upgrades (unless you can preserve the baseband somehow).

However, if you do a factory unlock, it will remain unlocked permanently. This method is completely legit and fully supported - I actually got Fido to unlock my two iPhones when I switched to PM (for a $50 fee per device).

Finally, I ran into the exact same issue as @Savannahwade91 with my iPhone 4, and the SIM card was perfectly fine (I was, and still am, using it on my iPhone 6).

I fixed it by resetting my device by going to:

Settings > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

WARNING: This will delete EVERYTHING and reset it to factory defaults, just like brand new.

Once done it picked up the SIM card right away.

I hope this helps someone.

@Savannahwade91 Given all the information and experiments you have done, I assume you have ordered another PM SIM.

While you are waiting, there is one more thing you could try. Borrow a non-Bell SIM from a friend that fits your phone and try it. If you get the same message then your phone has not been unlocked correctly. You might find this article instructive: iPhone unlocked? 

I know that when I unlocked my iPhone 5 two years ago it was a two step procedure: first unlock by the carrier then confirm the unlock by connecting to iTunes. I understand that is no longer required but it may be related to the operating system and you are on an older one, likely iOS 7.2.

Just is case something is wrong with the phone itself, check that you are able to connect to the internet with wifi.

Don't give up, we will get you connected.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Savannahwade91 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the help and I've tried all the options above with no luck... I'm absolutely sure that the phone is unlocked as I had it done a long time ago... I tried contacting my previous provider to made sure.... Is there just a number I can call to deal with PM even bell said the same thing just call them

Hi @Savannahwade91.  Actually, you can't assume your iPhone will stay unlocked indefinitely, unfortunately.  I'm not an iPhone guy, but apparently the phone can get re-locked by OS updates after the unlocking.  Have a look at this thread, for example:  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/New-iphone-6s-locked-to-public-mobile/....  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Hello @Savannahwade91,

If you tried the SIM card in another unlocked device but still saw the error message "Invalid SIM", then this means that the SIM card is defective. You wil have to order another one. 

I do apologize for this!

Cheers,

Kalla

Savannahwade91
Thanks everyone for the help and I've tried all the options above with no luck... I'm absolutely sure that the phone is unlocked as I had it done a long time ago... I tried contacting my previous provider to made sure.... Is there just a number I can call to deal with PM even bell said the same thing just call them

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Savannahwade91 have you had any luck?  Please give us an update when you have a moment.  PS welcome to the Public Mobile community!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @Savannahwade91,

Welcome to Public Mobile,

I'm sorry to see that you have been having issues with your PM sim card, is it possible to confirm if you have tried the suggestions above?

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

TroyDaBes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Luddite Yup, I totally forgot this. Make sure that the phone is unlocked. If the phone came from another carrier, it won't with Public Mobile unless it is from Telus/Koodo

Are you certain your phone is unlocked? Where did you purchase it?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

TroyDaBes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
  • Have you tried to re-insert the sim? 
  • If it is still the same error, try doing the help option from Apple and see if it will work. 

If you get an alert about the SIM card in your iPhone

If you see an alert that says "Invalid SIM" or "No SIM Card installed," follow these steps.

1. Make sure that you have an active plan with your carrier. 
  2. Update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS.
  3. Turn airplane mode on and then off again.
  4. Restart your iPhone.
  5. Go to Settings > General > About and check for a carrier settings update
  6. Remove your SIM card from the SIM card tray and then put the SIM card back. Make sure that the SIM tray closes completely and isn’t loose. If you use a SIM tray from a different model iPhone or from another phone manufacturer, it might not fit properly.
  7. Try using another SIM card. If you don't have one, go to your carrier's retail store and ask them to test with another SIM card. You might need to replace your SIM card.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Hi. Try and see if Sim works in another handset.

If same message occurs, then Sim is a dud, and you may need to reorder another Tri-Sim

Need Help? Let's chat.