cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access/check voice mail abroad?

silversamurai12
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hello!
Hoping someone has an answer as to how one can access their voicemail while abroad?
The only thing I can think of is Skype but any other way or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
20 REPLIES 20

paulie
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I would always set up any account (bank, voicemail. login) with a pin.   It adds some security. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Acekiller interesting. This seems like a pretty big security hole and makes me rethink my decision to have the skip password feature enabled.  I assumed [incorrectly, it seems] that the check would be deeper than caller ID info which is easily spoofed.  I had thought it would be able to tell if the call actually originated from my SIM on my account and use that as the key.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Ya, I used my phone num as the outbound callerID.  Save me a trouble to dial my password.  For people that are paranoid, they can set the VM to ask for password every time no matter which number they dial in from though.

srlawren

@Acekiller wrote:

i just use my hangout and dial my own number, it doesn't even ask for my pw!

@Acekiller do you have Hangouts Dialer configured to send your PM phone number as outbound caller ID?  Maybe that's enough to convince the voicemail system that it's you?  If so, that's actually a bit scary since caller ID info can be spoofed.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Acekiller

i just use my hangout and dial my own number, it doesn't even ask for my pw!

srlawren

@silversamurai12 awesome, thanks for letting us know.  Have a great trip!

silversamurai12
Finally figured it out.

Apparently I did have a code/pin set up but had forgotten it.
All is well now.
Thanks!

silversamurai12
Just saw this now and ya, it prompts me for a pin which I never set up. Oops.

I even tried calling in to the VM # directly and simply get a repeating prompt to select a language but doesn't actually do anything!
Well guess it's my own fault then.

srlawren

@silversamurai12 are you sure you don't have a password, or do you just have it set to skip when you dial in from your own phone?  To test:  try calling in from ANY phone other than your own mobile.  Your home/work phone, your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/friend/parent/brother/sister/uncle/aunt's phone, a payphone (they do still exist, though they are an endangered species), etc.  Any phone other than your PM mobile.  Then hit the * when you hear your outgoing message and see what happens.  I bet it prompts you for a PIN.  If you don't remember what you set the PIN to or for some reason you never set one up, you should go ahead and take care of that now before you travel.  After you set up the PIN, you can still go into your voicemail settings and tell it to skip over the PIN check when you dial in from your own mobile, for conveniecne, if desire.  

peosteve
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
If you go to freephoneline.ca, there's fongo branding on it, so it looks like they're now the same company...

paulie
I would set up your voicemail password before leaving.

Also for Skype, if you have Office365 subscription, it should include free monthly Skype minutes. Might save you some small$ instead of paying for minutes.

silversamurai12
What if I don't have a VM password?
Just press the * button?
Or set it up before I leave?

I'm leaning towards Skype since it's credit based (in the event that I do need to call while I'm awake though. $15 with no real expiry date is tempting.

paulie

@horemans wrote:
Like. How reliable has this been?
Do I set this up on the web page or on my phone or on the voicemail page?

Hi Horemans... 

Not sure which piece you like ?  The Fongo App and handling calls or the forwarding PM number to FreePhoneLine and let their system take the voicemail and send to email ?

For me the FreePhoneLine.ca number has been awesome.  I paid for a "config" file a while ago when it was dirt cheap (I think $25) about 7-8 years ago now.   Have used it as main number in the past, but now use it for voicemail handling.   As a side benefit, although not officially supported, it can be used as incoming fax too.  I also have that forwarded to email.  Not many faxes come through anyway, but a nice hidden feature.

horemans
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Like. How reliable has this been?
Do I set this up on the web page or on my phone or on the voicemail page?

TheOldVR

@smp99 wrote:

Fongo - all you need to do is call your number or your voicemail number if you know it.

@smp99... I'll second this... was just in Vegas and Fongo was great for me down there.

I do wish that receiving text messages while in the U.S. was included as buying a $10 package in order to receive the 2 texts that I was waiting for was a bit of a downer. ***But then I hit the Vegas Strip and it all felt better Smiley Very Happy

srlawren

@silversamurai12 you can absolutely dial in.  Just dial your own phone number and as soon as you hear your outgoing voicemail message, hit the * key.  It will prompt you for your voicemaill password, and then you are in.  You can do this from any phone (though it would probably cost long distance to dial your own phone number from a friend or family member's house or a hotel room abroad), OR, as others have suggested install Fongo or Hangouts Dialer or some other VoIP calling app.  You don't have to forward your calls as has been suggested, but as long as you have data or a WiFi connection, you will be able to dial your PM number for free and check your messages by using * and your password.

silversamurai12
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I was hoping to just be able to dial in somehow but seems it's not possible.
Maybe I'll just forward the calls to my parents while I'm away. From what I can tell Fongo looks like it's an ongoing thing as opposed to being credit based like Skype.

The only reason I'm wanting to do this is since I'm job hunting.

mimmo

When abroad I forwarded my PM number to a Fongo number.  so when on wifi I could make and recieve calls or if you get a local sim use data and yourPM phone is always live.  Fongo also had visual voicemail i beleive which was a nice feature.

just remember to set up forwarding before you leave canada.

paulie

A suggestion you might find helpful.  I forward all unanswered calls (busy, etc) to aFreephoneline number. Then I have the freephoneline number set up with voicemail to email.  So no matter where I am, I can listen to my voicemail through any internet connected device (laptop, tablet, phone).  I don't have to dial in to listen to messages. 

smp99

Fongo - all you need to do is call your number or your voicemail number if you know it.

Need Help? Let's chat.