cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSPA data issue

Cupuacu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Whenever my LTE connection falls back to H / H+ (I think it happens during a tower switch, because it always happens at the same intersection), my data almost always stops working, and it is only occasionally that my data works on HSPA. My friend has an iPhone 6s on Telus and he doesn't have this problem. My phone is Samsung Galaxy S7 if that makes a difference. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix this?

22 REPLIES 22

Cupuacu

@pakmode wrote:

Wow. I thought I was the only one.

Every night around midnight my phone mysteriously switches from LTE to H+ and stays there unless I try and manually force it back.....weird. 

My phone only occasionally do that (well all the time at the specified intersection), but most of the time it is able to switch back to LTE itself

Cupuacu

@sheytoon

I'm now getting a stronger LTE signal at the aforementioned intersection. HSPA data is also working at this tower now

I think it was only the tower having a little issue with its 3G equipment, but now everything seems to be back to normal! Thanks for your help!!

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Wow. I thought I was the only one.

Every night around midnight my phone mysteriously switches from LTE to H+ and stays there unless I try and manually force it back.....weird. 

Cupuacu

Voice calls and text messages all work, just data is being fishy. In the urban area of Niagara Falls, it's only that site, but in the rural areas I've ran into the same issue once or twice out of the 10 or so times that I noticed

I'll try changing my settings to 3G only and see what happens

Service mode has no impact on staying on LTE or not.

It's possible that site has HSPA issues. You can always force your phone to "3G only" mode and see if HSPA data works in that location or not.

I'm an LTE engineer, so I don't really know what to look for when it comes to troubleshooting 3G issues. Do voice calls work? Is it only data that's a problem? Is it only at that one site?

Cupuacu
I think I only stayed on LTE because I had service mode (*#0011#) open on my phone the entire time. This morning when I passed through it switched over to HSPA and data stopped working. It was only until I approached the tower to the south (was near McLeod/Kalar intersection and tower is at McLeod/QEW) when data over HSPA started working again. Would that mean that the Lundy's Lane/QEW tower's HSPA network is acting a bit weird?

That makes more sense. The site at QEW and Lundy's Lane doesn't have B7, but the sites to the north and south do. You were probably handing over between the 2 B7 cells and skipping the middle site entirely.

Cupuacu

Thanks @sheytoon, I did some testing last night and drove through that intersection again, and found that my phone kept the LTE connection, but it stayed on Band 7 when I went southbound, so I'm assuming it never actually connected to the tower to the east. However, when I came back northbound, it switched from Band 7 to Band 2 right when I passed through that intersection.

@Cupuacu

I confirmed that the site to the east, near QEW and Lundy's Lane (on top of Ramada) has B2, B4, B5 LTE deployed. The other sites all have LTE as well.

@Cupuacu wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Quest wrote:
I think, in order to end speculations and conspiracy theories Public Mobile/Telus should come up with some official announcement that they don't do that or they do. It doesn't matter. Honesty on their part is much better in that case. They can always justify why they're doing so and if they come up with a good excuse, from the PR perespective it's going to be better for them than to hide it.

I am not bringing up the conspiracy theory because I believe in it as I don't have a single stitch of evidence to prove it.  I don't connect to 3G that often in the places I frequent.  It does seem too often that when I do, the data performance drop off is spectacular.  I don't mean slower transfer rates, which I don't care much about.  The latency can be like the Wind network where nothing happens for like half minute and data starts to trickle.  I have lots of experience with Rogers 3G via Tbaytel prepaid.  I can't recall ever suffering major league latency issues. 

Honestly, it doesn't really matter if the conspiracy is true or not, as long as it's usable and ping is low enough for our needs. I've experienced a wide variety of speeds, ranging from 20mbps to 92mbps, but the most important thing we need is the low latency when you're loading up something as simple as a web page. 

Usability is all that I care about, even if I am at the back of the priority line.  For wireless data, usability is all about latency.  Nobody wants to sit there and wait 5 minutes for a web page to start loading.  I only have on average 4 gigs of data to use in a 30 day period.  I don't need blazing speed to use up so little data in such a long period of time.  This is not like unlimited home internet where usage is measured in terabytes. 

Cupuacu

@will13am wrote:

@Quest wrote:
I think, in order to end speculations and conspiracy theories Public Mobile/Telus should come up with some official announcement that they don't do that or they do. It doesn't matter. Honesty on their part is much better in that case. They can always justify why they're doing so and if they come up with a good excuse, from the PR perespective it's going to be better for them than to hide it.

I am not bringing up the conspiracy theory because I believe in it as I don't have a single stitch of evidence to prove it.  I don't connect to 3G that often in the places I frequent.  It does seem too often that when I do, the data performance drop off is spectacular.  I don't mean slower transfer rates, which I don't care much about.  The latency can be like the Wind network where nothing happens for like half minute and data starts to trickle.  I have lots of experience with Rogers 3G via Tbaytel prepaid.  I can't recall ever suffering major league latency issues. 

Honestly, it doesn't really matter if the conspiracy is true or not, as long as it's usable and ping is low enough for our needs. I've experienced a wide variety of speeds, ranging from 20mbps to 92mbps, but the most important thing we need is the low latency when you're loading up something as simple as a web page. 

Quest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am wrote:

@Quest wrote:

Both you and I don't bring conspiracy theory or better yet speculations without evidence to prove it, but many do, without or with evidence or at least with what they consider themselves as an evidence.

Official announcement could end such speculations.

Cupuacu

@sheytoon wrote:

@Cupuacu

That's definitely unusual. Can you tell us the specific location that this is happening at? All sites should have LTE, but I can double check for you.

@sheytoon

The intersection of Kalar Road and Lundy's Lane in Niagara Falls, ON. I checked that the closest Bell tower is located a bit to the East, near the side of the highway, but I'm seeing it only provides the 3G frequencies, where as the tower to the North and South both have the LTE frequencies.

@Quest wrote:

Quest

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have had similar experiences here and there where HSPA data is really slow, like Wind Mobile slow.  I think congestion may have something to do with performance.  We can always bring up the conspiracy theory about Telus giving reduced priority to Public Mobile customers.

Quest
Sheytoon is actually expert regarding technical aspect of wireless at large.

I am only insisting checking state of your phone because I got through the same or simillar problems and experiences myself.
That could be one of the factors, definitely not the only one.

@Cupuacu

That's definitely unusual. Can you tell us the specific location that this is happening at? All sites should have LTE, but I can double check for you.

Cupuacu

Everything does work on my phone, even when I am using data through an LTE connection, the data just occasionally stops when I am connected to HSPA, even though calls and texts work fine. I live in Niagara Falls, ON, but the closest Bell tower near an intersection that I go by often only has the 3G frequencies (850/1900) so it falls back to a 3G/HSPA connection. Once I am out of that area it reconnects to LTE then my data becomes usable again

Quest
Which area you living in? I assume that your phone have the latest updates. Did you buy your phone from legitimate source? First thing you have to be sure that everything is Okay with your phone. On this community forum you can find a lot of great advices regarding that matter.

Cupuacu

Yea I've set it to LTE/3G/2G auto connect, but it has the tendency to stay on the 3G network rather than going back to LTE, sometimes I have to force it back to LTE by cycling airplane mode

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Is the network mode set to LTE? There might be some other options available in the network mode settings, try that. 

Need Help? Let's chat.