cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Only Company?

RogerI
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Once Telus (and therefore PM) move to voice over LTE, it would it be possible for PM switch to being a data only provider. I don't see why not, charging per minute is so yesterday.

(Of course, this would require LTE to be available everywhere)

13 REPLIES 13

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RogerI wrote:

Once Telus (and therefore PM) move to voice over LTE, it would it be possible for PM switch to being a data only provider. I don't see why not, charging per minute is so yesterday.

(Of course, this would require LTE to be available everywhere)

Not only would it require LTE to be available everywhere (which it isn't really, and even in areas where it IS available it can sometimes be unreliable).  You're also neglecting the (probably non-trivial number of) people with 3G-only phones that only use them for talk & text, who probably wouldn't be thrilled to be forced to get a new phone.

@sheytoon
Good stuff thanks for sharing
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Quest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@sheytoon wrote:
@Samianauman
Everyone should want VoLTE. There is no reason not to want it. It's transparent to most users and old school users wouldn't even notice it, other than faster call setup times and better call quality.

@sheytoon  I think a lot of people still don't know what is VoLTE and about benefits of using it.

How about if you would in simple words explain it to those that do not know but want to know.

@SD08@Samianauman
Everyone should want VoLTE. There is no reason not to want it. It's transparent to most users and old school users wouldn't even notice it, other than faster call setup times and better call quality.

The only part that needs to be maintained correctly is the new "ims" APN.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I don't get where the charged by the minute comes in you pay a fee for unlimited use of the service there it doesn't matter how many minutes you use.  Unless you are referring to the Long distance addons

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@SD08 agreed
Not every customer want volte
I know lots of people's they still want old school package talk and text only nice n simple
But volte will be commonly used in near feature maybe next 3-5 years 😉

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Ah, okay.  If PM does talk and text all over volte, then they need to make it so the customer does not have to set up much if anything themselves.  Some customers just want simple, reliable talk and text, and aren't savvy with tech.

It's technically possible, but I don't see anyone offering it, as they can continue to charge for minutes artificially.

LTE coverage is already excellent.

RogerI
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

No, there would be voice and text, but it would all be over data, and would therefore, not need to be charged per minute. Once volte is available it's all just data. I for one, think that would be neat. Might even be a nice selling point.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I don't see this happening any time soon.  Talk and text remain such a large cash cow for the carriers. 

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

If you mean that PM would not offer any talk or text plans, I don't see why PM would do that. They'd lose a significant amount of customers, as some use their phone more for talk than data.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

I doubt public mobile is gonna do the data only anytime soon.   Some wants to use data only just like other carriers.  

LIke you said public mobile doesnt have volte yet.

Need Help? Let's chat.