cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage outside home province

vaibhav
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello folks,

Sorry for my ignorance. But, I am coming from Wind and things are different there.

As Wind is only available in 5 cities, as soon as we get out of the city we have to pay roaming charges.

1. If I am on provincial unlimited plan along with Data, do I have to pay roaming if I am using it from another city. Eg. I live in Edmonton and do I have to pay roaming charges if I use my phone in Calgary (both in Alberta). Similarly, what if I travel to Ontario. Can I still use my unlimited minutes and data there? 

Thanks,

V

13 REPLIES 13

@Martin Perhaps the operators were confused and only meant you were missing one of the four humours; black bile perchance? 

Whatever, keep on truckin and eventually Mother will catch up.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

I never tell jokes. I'm devoid of humour, at least that's what the operators of the Mother Ship tell me. 😞 😞

Wow @vaibhav Community is cheap and fast; hard to beat eh! 🙂 

@Martin even tells jokes from time to time. Man LOL

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

On behalf of all responders who have helped you, thank you. Much appreciated!

Cheers.

vaibhav

I must say, I am impressed with the community help.My personal questions are resolved much faster than calling and waiting in line to talk to customer support in other phone companies.

People are very helpful here and I hope it continues to be like this.

V

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

If you did not selecte Canada wide talk than simply purchase an add on if you will travel outside of ur province. Text and data can be used everywhere in Canada. 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

This is to clarify matters.

Regardless of your plan, data can be used throughout Canada.

If you have a Canada-wide calling plan, you can call any number in Canada. Incoming calls can be from anywhere, including overseas.

If you have a provincial calling plan, you would need the Canada/USA add-on or the international add-on (which also includes Canada and the USA) to call numbers outside your home province. If you are in your home province, you can receive calls from anywhere, including overseas.

NOTE: If, for example, you have an Ontario provincial calling plan, but are visiting BC, you would be able to call only BC numbers. You would not be able to receive any calls, even from within BC or from Ontario. To receive calls, you would need to purchase the Canada/USA add-on, or the international add-on which includes 18 countries plus Canada and the USA.

Cheers.

@vaibhav Data is Canada wide. Calling with Provincial plan check out this thread: How to call to/from other provinces if on province-wide unlimited plan?

Also, do not confuse US calling with roaming, it is strictly for calling from Canada/Provice to the USA and PM only serves 18 countries with its LD plans.

vaibhav

It is clear as glass now. 

The only thing now left to confirm with you is about data. Is the data nationwide? 

Thx,

V

deltatux
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@vaibhav wrote:

Ok. Now I am more confused. I had an impression that if you are in Ontario with an Edmonton number (I am talking about Telus), Ontario becomes your home province and you can use your unlimited features in Ontario. But, Edmonton numbers become long distance for you. I got this impression because few of my friends have shifted from Toronto and are still using their Toronto numbers.

And I understand from your response that, I can use my data anywhere in Canada on Telus (PM) network, right? Also same with the incoming calls.

Thx,

V

Hi @vaibhav,

Your friends probably have nationwide calling, in this case, it doesn't matter if they kept a 416/647/437 number, it's all "local" to them no matter where they travelled. However, if you call those numbers, they're long distance as those numbers are not Alberta numbers.

As stated in the quote below from Public Mobile's Plans page:

"Includes outgoing calls you make anywhere in Canada to a number with an area code in the same province, and incoming calls you receive while you are in your home province. A long distance talk add-on is required to receive incoming calls while you are outside your home province."

If you were to call your friends who have Toronto numbers even in Edmonton, it's considered long distance for you because Public Mobile's provincial calling scheme is based on the area code you're calling, not where you're located geographically. That's the difference between WIND and Public Mobile's provincial-based calling schemes.

This is based on my interpretation of that quote. I hope this helps clarify this. Let me know if this is still confusing.

Cheers!

vaibhav

Ok. Now I am more confused. I had an impression that if you are in Ontario with an Edmonton number (I am talking about Telus), Ontario becomes your home province and you can use your unlimited features in Ontario. But, Edmonton numbers become long distance for you. I got this impression because few of my friends have shifted from Toronto and are still using their Toronto numbers.

And I understand from your response that, I can use my data anywhere in Canada on Telus (PM) network, right? Also same with the incoming calls.

Thx,

V

deltatux

@vaibhav wrote:

Hello folks,

Sorry for my ignorance. But, I am coming from Wind and things are different there.

As Wind is only available in 5 cities, as soon as we get out of the city we have to pay roaming charges.

1. If I am on provincial unlimited plan along with Data, do I have to pay roaming if I am using it from another city. Eg. I live in Edmonton and do I have to pay roaming charges if I use my phone in Calgary (both in Alberta). Similarly, what if I travel to Ontario. Can I still use my unlimited minutes and data there? 

Thanks,

V

@vaibhav, I've moved from WIND as well. There's a fundamental difference between the province wide call that WIND has and what Public Mobile offers. Unlike the WIND provincial calling scheme, it doesn't go by the geographical area you're in. So right now when you're travelling to Ontario from Edmonton and in a WIND zone, any calls within Ontario would be free to you.

However, with Public Mobile, provincial calling is not defined by your geographical area but bound to the area code your phone number is in. So if you travel to Toronto and call a 416 number, it's considered long distance.

Just like @Chicklets has recommended, best to get the long distance minute addon for $8 (200 minutes) or 400 minutes for $15 for your travels. If you don't use up your minutes, they don't expire until you've drained all 200 minutes.

PS: WIND has much more than 5 cities, while it may look like it but much of their zones are in Ontario. They have Toronto, Barrie, Peterborough, Ottawa, Brantford, Niagara, Windsor, Kitchener-Waterloo and a couple of other small spots in addition to Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.

Hope this clarifies things.

Cheers!

Chicklets

You can call and receive calls anywhere  in your home province, If you travel to Ontario you can only call people in Ontario but you will be unable to receive any calls.  I suggest that you purchase a 200 Canada long distance addon which will give you the ability to call anyone in Canada and also receive calls anywhere in Canada,  up to 200 minutes for $8.  Well worth it  Addons never expire until you use them up.

Need Help? Let's chat.