cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send text messages

pheelup
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I have ported my number to PM, and I am able to make calls, receive data, and also receive text msgs.  However, I can't seem to send text msgs.  I have tried rebooting &taking out my SIM and restarting.  Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18

Maiden
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
I too couldn't send texts. My APP was 'Messages', yellow box with white envelope on it.
Took advice here and tried Hangouts, works like a charm. Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@pheelup yes that sounds like the original Google "Messaging" app.  Google has really confused texting on Android, since they've had at least two different apps named Messaging/Messagenger/Messages and I forget which is which, plus you can use Hangouts for texting.  And those are all just the Google options.  There's also a ton of 3rd party options.  I personally use Textra SMS and really enjoy it, but these are very personal preferences.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Yes, that's my limited understanding of those Android basic functions. Same deal with iPhones.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

pheelup

When I look at the App info, it says "com.android.messaging" which you can't uninstall.  I am guessing this is just the Android default messaging app?

srlawren

Thanks for letting us know, @pheelup.  Very strange issue indeed!  What is the default messaging app on the OP1, out of curiosity?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

pheelup

So, I think the problem is with my default messaging app on the Oneplus One.  

I switched my sim with another Oneplus One and I could send txts using ther other sim.  Not only that, but the other phone could send texts using my PM sim!  So the problem was on my phone.

I switched my default msging app to Google Messenger and it can send texts now.  BTW, this also worked with Hangouts.  It also works with Facebook Messenger but that app uses data so if anyone comes across this same issue, Google Messenger or Hangouts are good options.

Thanks to everyone for helping me get this sorted out.  The PM community kicks a--!  Smiley Happy

@pheelup Looks like you are stuck with the last best test. Put your sim in another unlocked phone, AND put someone else's sim into your phone and check the behaviour.

You have checked that your account shows texting is included? Texts can often be received without a texting plan. 

srlawren

Ooops my last reply was a bit out of date as I see there were addtional responses.  @pheelup, can you try changing your MVNO type to "None' and clear the MVNO value?  In comparing my APN settings to yours, those are the only things I see different.

EDIT:  oh also my APN type only contains "default,supl,mms", where yours contains more.  I would think more would be okay, but you could also try simplifying down to just those if possible

srlawren

Nice catch, @Luddite!  My first thought was, since @pheelup has data working on their phone, their APN should already be correct.  But, I think there are a few settings specific to MMS messaging that might preclude MMS message working while the rest of the data functionality works.  

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @pheelup,

Another suggestion would be disabling the "Voice+" feature on your phone. You can do so by going to "More" in your settings.

Could you try that and then power cycle?

Let's keep our fingers crossed Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Kalla

pheelup

First, thanks for efforts. Much appreciated.

I do have my data turned on and I have confirmed the APN settings as per the link you provided. However, no luck. Still can't send.  I have attached screenshots of my apn settings.

Screenshot_20160707-125800.png

Screenshot_20160707-125823.png

Screenshot_20160707-125828.png

@pheelup Rummaging on the Internet I found an issue with your phone and sms. It seems it tries to send them as mms sometimes. So, make sure you have cellular data turned on and the correct APN settings: How do I set up data/APN on my smartphone? There is no data charge for mms/picture messaging even though they use data.

pheelup

I am using the same phone that I had on Mobilicity (Oneplus One).  I have refreshed my network settings and it still doesn't work.  FYI, I do receive text messages, but when I try to send, it just says "sending" and then eventually it says it failed to send.  I have tried texting multiple people.

@pheelup What make & model phone do you have? Others may know a setting issue with it.

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @pheelup,

It is quite odd that you aren't able to send text messages. 

I called our porting department, and they confirmed that your port was successful. 

Are you using the same phone that you had with Mobilicity? One thing I would suggest for the moment is refreshing your network settings. Could you try that and let us know?

Cheers,

Kalla

Your port has hung up so you will need a moderators assistance: @Kalla_A @Mary_M @Shazia_K.

You will likely need to send them some information by private message. In case you do not how to use this feature, you can review it here: Private Messages - viewing and creating. It will speed things along if you can check in from time during day as you are doing now.

pheelup

I ported from Mobilicity.  I put in the old sim and tried to register on their network but, the sim couldn't register on it. So I think the old sim is inactive.

I put my PM sim back in and I still can't send text messages. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Sounds as if the port has not yet completed. Try putting your old sim back into the phone and determine which services you still have. When the port is complete that sim will stop working.

Who was your last service provider? If it was a landline port it will take several days.

Need Help? Let's chat.