cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Months of Service Review

Zenshi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have had service with Public Mobile for four months now, and as promised, here is a review:

Service: The first two months, I have had interuptions in my service due to porting and back-end issues. The worst that it's gotten was, 7 days no service. However, after everything was fixed on the backend, it has worked flawlessly since. I have had my service drop maybe once every two weeks for a period of 5 - 10 seconds, but I was in the basement of my home when it happend. There is no live customer support, everything is online based and automated. If you are a person that needs reassurance and demands to talk to someone immediately, then this may not be the service provider for you.

Data: I have had no issues, I have never had my GPS drop or reached dead zones in the city. After-all, we are on the telus network. The speed seems to be much more reliable then "Freedom Mobile", though I haven't done a direct comparsion for some time now.

Cost: Great !! Gain Loyalty rewards and autopay rewards, after all said and done, if you sign up for the right promo, it can very benefical to your cost savings "plan".

Customization: I think the bigger providers offer more customization because your available to talk to a live agent that can tailor your needs. Public Mobile is " what you see is what you get" type plans.

Overall: I think Public Mobile is a great choice for the internet savvy person. If  you know how to use boards, social media (facebook) and such, this service will be great for you. Just be ready for the hicc-up that may occur at the start with porting. After everything is finally finalized, it's smooth sailing. The community is a great help too. 

Again, thanks all the mods and community for your help when I did have my problem with service. 

10 REPLIES 10

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There were SO many of us who switched from Wind last year that it would be really interesting to see just how many subscribers they lost. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Thanks for taking your time to give your positive feedback. 

I just want to point out that OP had to wait few days for porting issue. This was probably due to huge backlog during the promo. Support mods slowly caught up and now up to date so expect much quicker response. 

@echf  Yea, many need roaming other than usa.  Isnt it easy to use the telus roaming partner.  

X-Files
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

As an 11 years ex-FIDO customer - they just give me 500 MB DATA+200 mins Call out, and cost $63/month ! when saw the 2016 Fall Promo of PM, I can't wait to port number, and very happy with the service here at PM. And lucky me have none issuse at all step, tips is you just need read more carefully at the community, all answers is there.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Great review @Zenshi, thank you for sharing!

As an ex-Rogers customer - I'm very happy with the service here at PM, in fact the network signal just happened to be stronger both where I live and work.

I have to say that the $40 I save every month feels awesome!

Yawsug
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

EX every major provider here, PM has been great for me.  We joined during the fall promo and even though I could probably get away with the lower data plan for the extra $9 it was worth getting the fall promo even though I don't even get close to using a mojority of the data provided.

echf

ex-Wind and ex-Fido here! Telus/Public Mobile network is better than Wind without doubt, but it is also slightly better than Rogers/Fido in GTA! 

My wish list:

International roaming support is a must for Public Mobile to attract more customer! Maybe PM should just use the existing roaming relationship from Telus.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Excellent review, @Zenshi

Thanks for sharing your interesting experience.  

There is simply no comparison to freedom mobile in terms of data speeds and network coverage.  I have done it in the past.. and found PM to be at least 10 times faster on speedtests.  

Its great that you are able to put the initial hiccup in perspective and find value in moving to PM.  PM has been very busy this year fixing/upgrading the backend and selfserve etc.  So we can expect even better performance and fewer glitches, #FingersCrossed  

paulie

Thanks for the review !     I have found service to be flawless with PM.

I even had great service during some vacation time up north in February.  Worked perfectly and strong signals in Huntsville, Haliburton, Whitny, Barry's Bay, Pembroke, Petewawa, Northbay and places in between.  

If I had done that trip with FreedomMobile, not sure what I would have racked up in roaming charges or dead zones.

And in GTA (Richmond Hill, Markham, Stoffiville, Pickering) and out to Cobourg, PM runs perfect as well.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Another ex Wind customer.  Welcome!

Hey, it is unfair to compare this service to the Wind network.  Sure there are dead spots here and there but they are far and few between.  Certainly, not critical enough to make any sort of issue out of it. 

Definitely, the service is disruptive and without any close comparison to other providers.  Zoomer may be the closest rival in terms of operating no physical stores.  However, they have lives agents to talk to.  I really like the minimalist approach as long as the customer participates fairly in the cost savings. 

Need Help? Let's chat.