cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATE] U.S. Roaming Add-Ons are Now Working

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

[UPDATE] This issue has been fixed as of November 15th, 2016. 

Hey Community,

As some of you have noticed, U.S. Roaming Add-Ons are now available in Self-Serve. While you can see them in Self-Serve, and are able to purchase them, we do not have the roaming service up and running just yet. But, we are VERY close! We promise that you will be the first to know as soon as it’s fully launched and working! In the meantime, please do not purchase the U.S. Roaming Add-Ons until we give you the all-clear. We don't want you to buy something that you can't use.

We also wanted to let you know that Self-Serve is running slower than normal, and that we are working on a fix for it.

Thanks for your patience, and stay tuned for an update!

-Public Mobile Community team

65 REPLIES 65

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bharris will you please consider reviewing these two ideas and up-voting one or the other [or both] by giving it a bravo?

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/US-Roaming-data-bucket-that-doesn-t-expire/...

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Public-Lab/US-Roaming-Packs-to-roll-over/idi-p/106845

They seem to be the two closest to your idea that have the most votes currently.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

bharris
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

PLEASE change the US addons to be like koodo. Koods addons do not expire.

It is a total game changer for anyone that travels alot, works in the USA or lives on the border.

It does not matter how much you charge just make them so they do not expire.

THEN SIT BACK AND WATCH THE MONEY POUR IN. Every person I know will instantly start buying the addons because they do not expire. 

Hmm
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@pakmode wrote:

While I'm certainly glad to see US Roaming finally added, it's ironic to note 1GB of US Roaming Data is $20 while 1 GB of Data Add On for PM is $30 lol.

I wish they would have copied Wind's model of pay per use while Roaming.

$0.05 per minute calling.

$0.05 per outgoing text

$0.05 per MB of Roaming Data

Make us buy a $20 bucket and eat out of there when we need it. 

That would works better for the short day and weekend trips.

Great effort PM folks, but not sure how good the penetration rate will be.

I agree. However, on a side-note. The CDN dollar is doing horrible and the USD is worth almost 40% more than the loonie (using local consumer buying rates) so most of us would have the $20 bucket sitting there for a very long time. Perhaps this is something that will happen in the future, or maybe we will switch to WIND when their coverage improves and they have LTE. 

hopetindall
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kav2001c wrote:

@srlawren you can have Android forward your SMS messages to you

(eg if you used 416-555-1234 & 514-555-1234 if someone sent a message to 416- the system can autoforward the txt for you to 514-)

An even better solution (that I use, and is great with the 12GB promo plan) is SIP calling

That way, you have your "real" phone number on VOIP and your secondary number somewhere else (on Public in this case)

It still shows the "real" number for outgoing call display, you still get to read txt messages regardless of which number they sent, and if for whatever reason you change carriers or move and want a local number etc you just change the secondary number without losing your promo plans 

Your original is always safely stored on the VOIP 

I've been doing this with voip.ms

srlawren

@daredogg well if you had the US texting roaming add-on enabled, chances are you wouldn't need to worry about trying to forward your text message to another number--they would just come to you.  🙂

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to forward text messages (other than having them all go to a VoIP provider), and assuming you're not buying a US text roaming add-on which would negate the need, is to keep a phone still in Canada, powered on (plugged in so as to not run out of juice) and with your PM SIM in it to receive the messages.  I believer there are app(s) that can receive and then forward, but again you'd have to be in the coverage area and powered on to do so.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

majsiddiqui
@kav2001c

Could you share more information on the SIP that you're using? I'm interested to learn how this will work. And just to be clear this is not same as Fongo, Hangouts, etc. right?

Thank you.

@kav2001c would that SMS forwarding work if you're outside of Canada, without the US add-on? I'd imagine your messages would stay north of the border until you return. Sorry if I'm jumping in the middle of a conversation, but that's what I wondered when I read your post.

You've interested me with SIP calling... I'm gonna look that one up!

srlawren
I understand the sip scenario, but I'd say the majority of people don't already have it set up that way, and it's a hassle to do after the fact since you need to port your primary number to the VoIP provider which closes your current PM account and you have to start a new one and so on. Probably not a viable option for most.

How do you get Android to forward your texts? I've never seen that option. Also, would that not depend on keeping your Android phone at home (or within Canada anyway) and powered on with your PM sim card installed while you use a second phone for roaming?

@srlawren you can have Android forward your SMS messages to you

(eg if you used 416-555-1234 & 514-555-1234 if someone sent a message to 416- the system can autoforward the txt for you to 514-)

An even better solution (that I use, and is great with the 12GB promo plan) is SIP calling

That way, you have your "real" phone number on VOIP and your secondary number somewhere else (on Public in this case)

It still shows the "real" number for outgoing call display, you still get to read txt messages regardless of which number they sent, and if for whatever reason you change carriers or move and want a local number etc you just change the secondary number without losing your promo plans 

Your original is always safely stored on the VOIP 

homer

@srlawren wrote:
@homer yeah upon further examination I might be happier with this offering than I initially thought. I still think there's room for improvement, but it's sure nice to at least have the *option* to use PM! Swapping SIM cards for me isn't a big deal due to dual slots, it takes seconds to change the phone settings. Unfortunately I still have a few folks that for various reasons primarily communicate with my by SMS, which is the biggest drag about using Roam Mobility. Maybe it's a non issue for me now....

Considering that you have a dual-sim phone, I understand your concerns more now. 

For me, I only travel to the states occasionally... 

homer

@traycer wrote:

@homer wrote:

Let's say you use ten days of the roam's daily text+data plan, which costs you $29.5 (Ouch! And only 2G data, excuse me?). If you go for the talk+text+data for 10 days, it cost you $49.5!!! 

Although for the $49.50 with Roam's talk+text+data, you get 5 GB of LTE data over the 10 days (15 GB per month, pro-rated). If data is your thing, then PM's roaming plan will cost you $100 for 5 GB.

Also, does the $20 for 1 GB of US data come out of our existing 12 GB bucket? Or is that separate? I usually buy the $30 2 GB data-only plan from Roam when I'm in the US for a week, and it doesn't touch my at-home data.

I believe the 1GB add-on is separate. It is not like Fido Pulse. 

And I only have 1GB for my 90-day plan, so it cannot be from my canada-wide data LOL

jigginsmcgee

@majsiddiqui wrote:

Hi Community,

I'm not sure if everyone needs a 10-day add-on.  Most people would be visting from a day to a week.

I was hoping PM would offer something like or more competitive than what Rogers/Fido offer -- $5 per day for a maximum 10-days, use all features like you would at home. Or what WIND Mobile offers -- $15/month US Roaming unlimited access.

The $5/day stuff ends up being significantly more expensive the longer you stay, though. So if you were to stay for 10 days it would be $50 vs the $36 through Public Mobile. I understand that not everyone is taking longer trips but it's definitely helpful to a lot of people!

It's important to remember that Public Mobile is still a pre-paid service and can't necessarily offer the same style of plans as Wind. I'm hopeful that this is just the first offering to get it off the ground.

majsiddiqui

Hi Community,

I'm not sure if everyone needs a 10-day add-on.  Most people would be visting from a day to a week.

I was hoping PM would offer something like or more competitive than what Rogers/Fido offer -- $5 per day for a maximum 10-days, use all features like you would at home. Or what WIND Mobile offers -- $15/month US Roaming unlimited access.

srlawren
@maddog497 the 1gb of us roaming data is actually $10 cheaper than 1gb of canadian add-on data. At first, this seems really odd! But, you only have 10 consecutive days to use the US data, which starts as soon as you purchase the add-on and ends in exactly 10 days. On the other hand, the Canadian add-on starts as as soon as your plan data runs out and has no expiry--it stays on your account until you have used every MB, which depending on your needs and usage, could be 1 day, 10 days, or several months. I guess PM considers this added value and has factored that into the pricing difference. I'm not sure I agree with them, and would like to see the Canadian data add-ons come down considerably, but I believe that's the rationale.

maddog497

I just registered my first of 2 sims this morning.  I got the sims 2 weeks ago but have been in Cancun. (sorry had to throw this in)

I was pleasantly surprised to see the US addons but thought the 1 gig data was $30 dollars when I registered?  

At $30 bucks, it's consistent with the Canadian add on price for 1 gig of data which is not great but it is consistent.

My wife likes to go to Watertown and if I go I just top up my Roam Sim and away we go.  I like the amount of data you get with Roam but this is workable.

outdoorsaddix

@srlawren Your comment about only using one or two services made me think how I was actually tgoing to use it would be kind of as follows:

Long Trips (7 days)  - I would get talk and data and only use imessage and whatsapp and forego texting

Short trips (2-3 days) - I would get data only and use iMessage for text and whatsapp/goolge voice for all calling and non-iphone messaging. 

Really short day trips - just put in my Roam mobility card and pay them $5

traycer

@homer wrote:

Let's say you use ten days of the roam's daily text+data plan, which costs you $29.5 (Ouch! And only 2G data, excuse me?). If you go for the talk+text+data for 10 days, it cost you $49.5!!! 

Although for the $49.50 with Roam's talk+text+data, you get 5 GB of LTE data over the 10 days (15 GB per month, pro-rated). If data is your thing, then PM's roaming plan will cost you $100 for 5 GB.

Also, does the $20 for 1 GB of US data come out of our existing 12 GB bucket? Or is that separate? I usually buy the $30 2 GB data-only plan from Roam when I'm in the US for a week, and it doesn't touch my at-home data.

This seems to aim mostly for those who will go on a vacation trip. It seems worth it if you go for more than couple days. 

Just imagine if this didn't expire just like other add-ons. But now that's too good to be true 😞 

srlawren
@stonechucker too funny. I've done it a few times, let's say! It's pretty common for folks in the Vancouver area to do a day trip or overnighter into Bellingham or Seattle area for shopping, Seahawks/Sounders/Mariners sporting events, etc. I'd say I cross over probably 3-4 times a year at least. Plus most years a slightly longer trip to Vegas or Hawaii or San Francisco.

srlawren
@homer yeah upon further examination I might be happier with this offering than I initially thought. I still think there's room for improvement, but it's sure nice to at least have the *option* to use PM! Swapping SIM cards for me isn't a big deal due to dual slots, it takes seconds to change the phone settings. Unfortunately I still have a few folks that for various reasons primarily communicate with my by SMS, which is the biggest drag about using Roam Mobility. Maybe it's a non issue for me now....

@srlawren, you're so into this roaming stuff, I'm going to message you the next time I border hope to NY or Michigan.  You've boggled my mind with info in this thread.

first step for me though, I will probably need a dual sim phone!

homer

@srlawren wrote:
Actually I might be changing my mind. For a 2 day trip I could do 250mb and texting all through PM for $18, or for a 4 day I could do 500mb and texting for $23, rather than adding PM texting to a roam plan as originally intended. I think this makes more sense actually. And I can forward calls to fongo to skip the talk add-on. Hmm.....

Yes that's what I thought. There is always a work-around...

I will likely only buy data and text anyway since fongo is our friend... 

I might not even need text. Just use facebook/whatsapp...

And most importantly, there is no need to switch SIM card 😄

I think PM can do better, Just requires some minor tweaks here and there

srlawren
Actually I might be changing my mind. For a 2 day trip I could do 250mb and texting all through PM for $18, or for a 4 day I could do 500mb and texting for $23, rather than adding PM texting to a roam plan as originally intended. I think this makes more sense actually. And I can forward calls to fongo to skip the talk add-on. Hmm.....

SWM

I agree, I would like to see three or five day add-ons for US roaming as I feel like a lot of people just take weekend trips to the US. The 10 day add-ons are fairly good but wish they would have simply offered $5 per 250 MB.

Keep up the great work as I am sure these roaming add-ons will be fine-tuned later.

srlawren
Thanks @jigginsmcgee. It's the text+data plan that is 2g only (albeit unlimited). Actually I wonder if their data only plans have improved, they look pretty sweet now! I can for see data only with forwarding my pm calls to fongo and a pm text roaming package on my future...

jigginsmcgee

@srlawren wrote:

@homer yes I would not even consider the Roam Mobility data-only plan, since it's limited to 2G.

Quick clarification: Roam Mobility's data-only plans use LTE. https://www.roammobility.com/data-plans

srlawren

@homer yes I would not even consider the Roam Mobility data-only plan, since it's limited to 2G.  And I agree with your math if you're going to be in the US for 10 consecutive days.  Great for that trip to Hawaii!

But, what if you live in Vancouver and want to do a weekend or long weekend away in Seattle?  Or from Toronto to Rochester or Detroit or something for a couple of days.  Or a 4 day 3 night excursion to Vegas (seems to be a common duration).  All of those even at $5/day on Roam with 500MB per day of 4G data and unlimited calling and texting are going to cost you $10 for 2 days, $15 for 3 days, or $20 for 4 days.  PM if you needed all 3 services would cost you $8 talk + $8 text + minimum $10 for 10GB data is $28, which is $8, $13, or $18 more expensive than Roam for a 4/3/2 day trip.  

I do agree that the PM US Roaming is better for longer trips.  The break-even point depending on the options you pick is likely in and around the 7 day range.

OR, if you only want one or two of those services, then PM US Roaming may well be cheaper.

homer

If we choose the PM add-on, it can be 250MB for $10 and texting for $8 = $18, or text+talk+1GB data = $36. In both ways, PM's add-ons are cheaper. 

I am not comparing Roam's data-only plan since I explicitly said "Roam's daily plans are crazy..." and their pricing for data-only are similar anyway. 

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

So is it safe to say without a 10-day US roaming addon provisioned phone will get no service once leaving the network since no PPU service offered?

Need Help? Let's chat.