Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U.S. Roaming has arrived!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We are ecstatic to announce that after months of planning and hard work, U.S. Roaming has launched! With Black Friday around the corner, we think the timing is pretty great.  It’s also news you can share with your friends to increase your referral rewards.  Remember - our $40/ 4GB promo plan ends November 20th. We’re glad we pulled this off just in the nick of time!

Here’s how the U.S. Roaming Add-ons work:

• All U.S. Roaming Add-Ons will last 10 days. This 10 day period will begin upon payment of the Add-on and will end 10 days after this date.
  • You can choose an Add-On with just one of the services or a combination. We want to ensure that you only pay for what you need. Keeping this in mind, we are offering a range of U.S. Roaming Add-Ons, all with great value. For example, the U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle works out to just $2/ day for the 10 day period!

U.S. Roaming 10 Day Add-Ons

Details

Price

U.S. Talk Only

·         Unlimited Canada Wide & U.S. talk

$8

U.S. Text Only*

·         Unlimited global text

$8

U.S. Data Only

·         250 MB data

$10

·         500MB data

$15

·         1GB data

$20

U.S. Talk and Text Bundle*

·         No data

$15

U.S. Talk ,Text, Data Bundle*

·         250MB data

$20

*Picture and video messaging are not available, but coming soon! Please note that you need a U.S. roaming data plan in order to receive picture and video messaging.

We’ve partnered with AT&T and T-Mobile to provide you with fantastic coverage.

Your U.S. coverage will include all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. So, whether you are travelling to the snow-capped mountains in Alaska or to Hawaii’s sunny beaches, we will have you covered. For more details, check out our coverage map here.

Getting U.S. Roaming is easy!

You can purchase the U.S. roaming Add-Ons by either using your online Self Serve account or the automated phone system.

• Self Serve account: You will be able to purchase the Add-On in your Self Serve account at publicmobile.ca. After logging in, just select the U.S. roaming Add-On you want, make the payment, and then it will be ready to use.
  • Automated phone system: You can also purchase your U.S. roaming Add-On using the automated phone system by dialling 1-855-4PUBLIC, and following the prompts.

With this exciting announcement, we have put together some anticipated FAQs. If you have any other questions, please post them below.

-Public Mobile Community team

U.S. Roaming FAQs

1. What happens after my 10-day U.S. Roaming Add-On expires?

10 days after you purchase your U.S. roaming Add-On, it will automatically expire. If you need another Add-On, you can purchase it the same way you did originally, by using your Self Serve account or calling our automated phone system at 1-855-4PUBLIC. 

2. I need more than 1GB of data while roaming. What do I do?

Not a problem. You can buy more than one U.S. Roaming Data Add-On if you find you need more data.

3. Can I roam while I am in countries, other that the U.S.?

No. At this time, we only offer roaming in the U.S.

4. I can’t see the U.S. Roaming bundle Add-Ons. What do I do?

If you are experiencing issues seeing the U.S. Talk and Text Bundle or the U.S. Talk, Text, Data Bundle when you are in Self Serve or during the activation portal, be sure to clear your cache /cookies in your browser. Once you do this, you’ll be able to see them!

5. I am a Legacy customer and don’t have a Self Serve account. How do I buy an Add-On?

You can purchase an Add-On through our automated phone system by dialing 1-855-4PUBLIC. As a Legacy customer, you are also able to purchase the Add-On by calling into our call centre. Remember, you are able to create your own Self Serve account at any time, if you would like to. 

6. Why is *611 not working while I am in the U.S.?

We’re working on this! Dialing *611 is not available now, but will be coming soon. In the meantime, you can dial 1-855-4PUBLIC instead.

7. The U.S. Add-On prices in the French automated phone system do not match what is displayed on the French website. What’s up with that?

The U.S. Roaming Add-On prices are only stated incorrectly in our French automated phone system. But, don’t worry, when you select the Add-On you want, the correct price will be charged to your account.

8. I am a Legacy customer on a $19 plan and, when I try to add the U.S. Roaming Add-Ons, I get an error message.

Legacy customers on the $19 plan are not eligible for U.S. Roaming Add-Ons. To take advantage of the roaming options, you will need to change your plan.

253 REPLIES 253

echi29
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What an unreal plan. Thanks so much!

brainfreze
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Loving the add-on rates as of now. I can't wait to see how or what improvements will come in the future to provide for your public mobile customers. Thanks!!

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have mixed feelings about the roaming packages to the US. To be fair, it is not the reason I joined PM, but we do travel occasionally. Since we kept our other account with Wind (freedom), I'll use an appropriate comparison from them for the equivalent $20:

Their US Roaming add-on wins hands-down for $15/month (1GB,u/l text, 2400 mins)

With their World Traveller Add-on = $8 / month that can be turned on/off every month

That leaves $12 to use on US 3c/MB data, 3c/text, and voice @ 5c/min

The same 250MB data would cost $7.50 (leaving $4.50)

For let's say 100 texts, I need another $3.00 (leaving ($1.50)

That leaves a total 30mins of talk.

(Please note that the next batch of $20 with PM, and another batch of $20 with PM that you would need to add for a full month -30 days - with Wind's World Traveller add-on, that additional $40 would mean significantly more data, texts, and talk without having to apply their $8 add-on fee again). Would this be comparable to unlimited talk/text? Depends on your usage.

For us, the world traveller ratio of use would more than suffice while in the US, but, we also use the World Traveller rates at our final destination when transiting through the US. Something PM can't comare to now.

Who would benefit most from PM's add-ons?

-Traveling to US for 7-10 days, but not longer (there are other better options)

-Transiting through US and back within 10 days

-VERY HIGH users of Voice and text (who would take advantage of unlimited voice and text)

Who would not benefit from PM's add-ons?

-Transiting through US more than 10 days apart (e.g. 14 day vacations with stops in US resulting in falling within 2 separate 10 day periods)

-Day trips to US (assuming you can't live without your phone)

-those who don't use talk & text much

To improve PM's US Roaming program with the 10-day limit, I think that a usage based on

1) 10 non-sequential days use within 30 days of activation would be better,

2) 10 non-sequential days use with perpetual rollover of remaining days being the best option

Beyond that, look at Wind's (Freedom) and Chatr's roaming in other countries, and it should be possible to get a good roaming package to those countries with low rates. Bundle them into North Ameria and Caribbean add-on, European add-on, South America add-on, etc.

Digler45
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hmm, that is quite interesting. I'll have to try it next time i go down.

I still would like to see an emergency package that never expires. something like 30 minutes/50 texts. But yes, seems that Roam Mobility would still be the best option for day/weekend trips right now.

jtomato

Just wanted to share my experience here as I crossed the border yesterday into WA state with my newly activated Public Mobile sim to see what would happen. As i entered the US, it immediately connected me to the T-Mobile network (AT&T as well depending where i was) and had signal. Had a friend back home to try calling and texting me to see what happens.

Calls would land directly to my voicemail but surprisingly his text message was received connected through T-Mobile. I didn't try to reply back or make an outbound call though. This was just on my standard plan without any LD or US Roaming add ons. 

thanks!

Twogunpete
I couldn't agree more. These add-on's are good - more flexible options such as 1 day, 2 day, 4 day, etc, like ROAM Mobility does, means I wouldnt have to use them or a US provider's SIM/plan. As someoelse also suggested, have the ability to purchase the add-on's in advance and chose the start date and time.

Please increase the choices/flexibility, Public Mobile.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@makkahn28, good convenient suggestions.  

*611 while roaming is coming soon though.  

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Just curious:

When will PM have the Txt to Purchase Add-Ons, Like example,

Purchase Unlim US Roam Tk+Txt+250MB by txting 1234 at 5678, or 1 GB, Txt 2468 at 5678.

Would add some convenience and flexibility, wouldn't you think

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mm623 yes, on AT&T and T-mobile.

mm623

are the data speeds 4g lte?

DavidNS

These roaming plans are awesome!  I had already planned to port from Koodo because of the great promo plan you are offering that expires today, but then when I saw the add on I use the most is HALF what I have to pay from Koodo, I couldn't port over fast enough!

Plus most of my trips to the States are 10 days long anyway, so this fits perfectly.

AWESOME JOB Public Mobile!  Keep up the great work and improvements!

HickTrick

pizza

Hey @4siu, you won't have reception at all in the US if you don't have an add-on. Public Mobile (to my knowledge) does not have any pay-per-use options at all. You must pay up-front for what you want, there is no billing after the fact. 

4siu

If I don's buy any one of these plan, I cannot  get any reception during in U.S? If not, what is the talk roaming rates per mintues and roaming data per mb?

pizza

Reply to shaner82:

I plan on it. They're closed for tonight, though. 

I understand that PM is a great option for so many. I get that. But it's entirely wrong for me.

PM is excellent, though perhaps not everyone can fully understand the direction or appreciate the new business model, Sad, but understandable

What a shame, PM is evolving, so too should the Clientele, Evolution is what makes PM Great, and King of the Wild Carriers out there, it's a Jungle, BUT navigable, just requires soft, Understanding and capable hands.

shaner82

@pizza wrote:

For less than $30/month, I was getting everything I needed and everything I used. 

I hardly ever use more than ~200mb/month, very few minutes, and texting is unlimited. I had all of that on Koodo. I occassionally visit the US, so that was the only reason I thought of switching. I thought just having US options would be worth it, since I had read in the PM forums that it would be coming.

I'm incredibly upset by my decision. I've wasted so much money. 

Switch back to Koodo then.  Call them and tell them you made a mistake and see if they'll reopen your account

VK

I'm planning to go US during long weekend for 2-3 days to visit friends. I will consider Roam Mobility and proceed since it is best option I could see for now for my needs. Also please note that their clocking starts from the time I land there and activate ie for 24hrs period.

@Brooke_C, please do something for the short trips and the ability to allocate funds into account well before & activate the service when needed (like roam mobility).. Thanks!

pizza

You're right that PM is a good choice for most people for the services it offers. It's WAY overkill for me. 

I've just lost ~$100 over the next three months because of this, though, and I am just so unhappy that I am a Public Mobile customer now. I wish I would have seen this before PM cancelled my Koodo account. I would have just cancelled my PM account and stayed with Koodo. I would have ~$100 that way, too, but at least I would have stayed with the company that I have much better options with. 

PM is in my opinion still on top of the food chain, prices, can't go wrong, Add-Ons, Identical, US Roam Add-Ons, yes very much different, BUT still, PM has the upper left and right hand, so I think, We're in loving and soft hands

pizza

For less than $30/month, I was getting everything I needed and everything I used. 

I hardly ever use more than ~200mb/month, very few minutes, and texting is unlimited. I had all of that on Koodo. I occassionally visit the US, so that was the only reason I thought of switching. I thought just having US options would be worth it, since I had read in the PM forums that it would be coming.

I'm incredibly upset by my decision. I've wasted so much money. 

biggyk

What were you getting for $40 with koodo?

pizza

Wow, as someone that just switched from Koodo, I'm so unhappy that I've switched now. Even with the $40/month deal, I'm still paying more than I was paying with Koodo. 

I thought moving to PM would be worth it for the US add-ons, but now I'm just so unhappy that I've switched and lost all of my Koodo roll-over add-ons. Ugh. If this were three hours ago, I would have contacted PM and just said "forget it" about porting my number. But as of about three hours ago, my Koodo account has been cancelled.

I'm super upset by my switch. I regret it so much. I'm so unhappy that my Koodo account has been cancelled. 

Hi. Sorry, PM doesn't have actual pamphlets, This is the Koodo Pamphlet

majsiddiqui

@makkahn28

Is that a Public Mobile pamphlet?

shaner82

Any chance to shortern the length?  This is a good start, but a 5 day plan would be much more ideal for many of us.  As it stands now, it's a very good price per day, but the 10 day plan makes it more expensive than Roam Mobility, for example, if you're only going for 1-3 days

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

IMG_20161119_174917.jpgI just saw this, and thought it would be great to see and compare, very interesting, different versions, yet fascinating

majoren91

This is great news! I knew the switch to PM would pay off!

Leeman
PM any chance of extending the length of US roaming to 1 month? Some people travel to the US multiple times in a month and would have to purchase multiple US roaming add-ons. This would also compair to Winds US roaming package.
Need Help? Let's chat.