Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effective April 1, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

Public Mobile is continuing our evolution to an online-only brand with the goal to provide customers more choice in a clear and uncomplicated way.  Along this journey, we are making some changes. On April 1, 2017, all Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans will increase by $3 per month.

If you are not on a Legacy rate plan this increase does not apply to you.

You are considered a Legacy/ Pioneer customer if you are currently on one of the following rate plans that was available prior to January 27, 2015:

• $19 Province-Wide Talk
  • $25 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
  • $40 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $45 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $60 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

To learn more, click here.

Thanks,

Public Mobile Community team

251 REPLIES 251

syed_milad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

who is offering you $40 CAD / MONTH for unlimited text (canada wide & world wide), Unlimited talktime (canadawide, USA wide) and 6GB DATA ? 

humonculi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm probably going to be leaving PM and Koodo. I don't appreciate these practices and I will be bringing my own business to another company. I found a great plan.

unlimited canada/ us calling

unlimited texts 

6gb of data

40$

Good luck everyone I will be closing my accounts and community account as well. Wish you all the best of lucks!

Nazim

I missed the fall promotion with the understanding that my $25 plan will stay at $25. Now PM is increasing the price of the plan , I will switch to 90 days province / data plan 1Gb, 2GB and or 4GB, if I get any promotion.

@Nazim  all of the PM data plans are better then the legacy plan pricing as it is now?  Are you looking for more data?  If so the fall promo would have been a great time to change plans as I have said it is a great deal and cheaper then the legacy plan witht he rewards you would be receiving

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Nazim

It would be nice if PM offer Data Plan to Legacy customer on Promotional rate before April 01,

@humonculi wrote:

I have the 25$ plan. I actually expected to have this price for pretty much ever since you and I both know that the costs of these plans actually decrease as technology evolves. The actual costs that should be increasing are salaries which they are trying to cut. We would lose the customer service center whether we stay or not. Don't forget that koodo charges a price for call and i have confirmed with the that they will not be honoring the fact that we had it free. You can say what you want you clearly are either 1- A normal canadian who does't really care to get bent over or B you simple haven't been here around long enought to understand that if we( legacy/ grandfather plan users) don't fight for it, you are going to see the same thing happened to you. 

@humonculi  If you were referring to me I did state that the plan you have is still the best deal.  My plan with rewards is $29 for Province wide calling global tet and 4GB data.  For prices to go down we need more competiton.  What PM is doing is getting noticed by other providers as they started new promos during the fall promo.  The next promo could be very interesting

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ShawnC13 Mobilicity was only carrier who ever gave "for life" promises (and shockingly so far Chatr/Fido/Rogers have all honoured the pricing)

The big outcry came when people bought CDMA Public phones and Public had guaranteed pricing to remain for 20 months. Telus came in and cancelled all of that.

But the takeover offers were pretty generous so long as you were ok with 2GB or less of data (heavy discount on hardware, 2 months free service, special plans not easily available to general public*)

*There was a special self serve bug that allowed some creative individuals to get access to the special plans

@classleg really? I am assuming you still have the paper contract you got from the store that says this? You know the thing you signed to activate service?

@classleg wrote:

$5 is not the point. $3 is not the point.

the promise to keep prices the same was stated during the 4G conversion, a year after the telus buyout.

@humonculi that's not a huge stretch at all that is *exactly* what happened.

Public was the ONLY carrier to offer true unlimited data (both Wind & Mobi used throttles and zone restrictions)

When Telus came in the kicked everyone off unlimited data

But again there are things (such as inflation) so I am wondering why people expect prices set in stone forever? Do you still pay same amount for anything that you paid 5 years ago?

@classleg every industry increases prices so not quite sure what the issue is. This is first price increase Public has had since like 2012ish

The phone + sim bit is odd, the "conversion" happened years ago, not just last week so I am confused about the comments for needing a brand new phone + new SIM card.

As well, why would you buy a SIM "last week" but not use it yet? If you have no service at all I would think you would want to activate the new SIM asap...?

humonculi

I have the 25$ plan. I actually expected to have this price for pretty much ever since you and I both know that the costs of these plans actually decrease as technology evolves. The actual costs that should be increasing are salaries which they are trying to cut. We would lose the customer service center whether we stay or not. Don't forget that koodo charges a price for call and i have confirmed with the that they will not be honoring the fact that we had it free. You can say what you want you clearly are either 1- A normal canadian who does't really care to get bent over or B you simple haven't been here around long enought to understand that if we( legacy/ grandfather plan users) don't fight for it, you are going to see the same thing happened to you. 

It has been mentioned it isn't about the money it is about the principal I believe that because many legacy users could actually be saving money on a new 90 day plan with the loyalty reward and autopay reward they would receive. The only legacy plan still saving over the newer plan is the $25/$28 plan. I don't believe there is ever a lifetime price guarantee. It may have been started but do you truly think you would be paying the same price for a service day 10 years later. I understand some are upset but I hope you have looked at the new plans and see you can be saving even more and aren't just sticking to legacy based on principal.

@humonculi As long as i know, PM doesn't do credit check since it's a pre-paid service. 

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Makes me a bit nervous about the price of the $40/4 GB plan in the future...

humonculi

After calling a PM and Koodo, I can inform everyone about situation.

With PM:

-You will be losing  free phone support.

-You will have to proceed to a credit check

-You will not get a free phone unless you pay for it

-You get sim cards at 5$ (koodo is 15$)

For every time you call Koodo customer service, If they proceed to doing modifications you can do on the web platform, you will get charged a 10$. (currently free at PM)

With KOODO:

-You get to keep the same plan you have.

-They, Koodo have (horrible) customer service rep (42 mins of wait time and no one is never available in the kiosk and don't try calling it's useless)

humonculi

Prices will increase permenantly Effective April 1

@rsotomil0304 wrote:

until when is the increase?

rsotomil0304
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

until when is the increase?

humonculi

@canucks4life wrote:

Somebody call a whaaaammmbulance Robot LOL

I hope Telus pulls the plug on all those legacy plans if customers don't like it move on there are other options.

Hey please IF PM ever does the same to you please make sure you at least get what we didn't, make sure you get a nice bottle of K&Y before they dip their corporate pickel in you so deep that you can't remove it

classleg

truly funny canucks4life.
i shall not engage you anymore.

i hope your hopes don't come true.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Somebody call a whaaaammmbulance Robot LOL

I hope Telus pulls the plug on all those legacy plans if customers don't like it move on there are other options.

humonculi

You are absolutly right Thank you simple as that we are not talking about money here. It's a matter of principles.

classleg

$5 is not the point.

$3 is not the point.

the promise to keep prices the same was stated during the 4G conversion, a year after the telus buyout.

i find your comment about affordability highly offensive.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@classleg wrote:

my old cell phone just died (the one i 'needed' with the 4G conversion).
so i just bought a new one last week. (feb. 10)
'course the new phone doesn't take the old sim card.
so i bought a new sim card last week.  (not activated yet)
asked the customer service rep. about it and there are 'no refunds'.
of course not.  
if i switch to koodo i'm out $5. plus tax.
right off the bat.

Sorry but if someone can't afford $5 for a SIM card they should not own a cellphone.

humonculi

well imagine if you had a plan in which included unlimited data for 40$ a month and PM promised you that the price would never change. Now telus buys that company they start offer new plan. These new commer now come on board because they see interesting plans. And the old customer don't care. But when PM tells them hey look you know what the other guys told you well we dont care so legally we cant force you to take new plans that cost more and we cant just kick you out because you idiots have rights so what we're going to do is simple if you stay with us we will charge you an extra 3$ and if you decide to go to our sister compagny because we can offer you the plans you currently have, well you're going to have to relinquish the rights you have right now and get on board with the new one that we specificly updated so we can srcew you over even more because it's now air tight. Thank you have a great day and make sure to keep giving us your money

classleg

my old cell phone just died (the one i 'needed' with the 4G conversion).
so i just bought a new one last week. (feb. 10)
'course the new phone doesn't take the old sim card.
so i bought a new sim card last week.  (not activated yet)
asked the customer service rep. about it and there are 'no refunds'.
of course not.  
if i switch to koodo i'm out $5. plus tax.
right off the bat.

classleg

i posted several hours ago, but my post was taken down.

no reason.  and i'd like to be able to delete my own post, if there is a way to do that...

anybody... anybody...

here is the post again.  (with the word 'ankles' removed)

"It is important to note that you are still a Public Mobile customer and your rate plan will not change as long as you continue to make your payments. Let's keep the conversation going.
Public Mobile"
thanks, north450.
how quickly we forget.
they are going to get us to switch companies, then jack up the price.
if anything, prices with all networks should be going down.
kav2001c wrote: "The Competition Bureau told Telus when they took over they MUST price protect for 12 months (only). This was 3 years ago. If they change plans today it is totally legal."
if that is true, and if it applies to grandfathered plans, then i guess i'll just grab myand smile.

otherwise, as someone already asked, yes, there are some laws that would prevent something like this. for instance...
False or Misleading Representations and Deceptive Marketing Practices Under the Competition Act
The Competition Act contains provisions addressing false or misleading representations and deceptive marketing practices in promoting the supply or use of a product or any business interest. All representations, in any form whatever, that are false or misleading in a material respect are subject to the Act. If a representation could influence a consumer to buy or use the product or service advertised, it is material.

or how about PM just being a stand-up company and doing what they said they would.
i am amazed how easy going some peoples posts have been. like all this havoc is just a part of being alive in the 21st century.
i'm very disappointed.

well, that's my opening salvo.

@humonculi wrote:

you're not paying an overprice plan. That's how you know

@bertasteph wrote:

How do you know if you're on a Legacy/Pioneer rate plan?

@humonculi  how do you figure the other plans are over priced.  I just renewed for the next three months and I get Province wide calling, global texting and 12 GB of data for 90 days.  I do have a long distance addon as well but for my renewal I paid $87 for 90 DAYS.  $29 a month is not overpriced for Provincial calling, global text, and 4 gb*Average*

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@sharerb

Yes! We will transfer up to $300 of your account balance over to your new Koodo account. The balance will not be transferred immediately, but will be applied to your account within the first three months that you join.

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

sharerb

I just received the Koodo offer via text message. The problem is I already credited my Public MObile account 75$.. My next paymane it Feb 22nd. then March 22nd, then April 22nd...(approx).. but I would have to switch to Koodo before March 31st. Will they transfer my account balance as well?

classleg

"It is important to note that you are still a Public Mobile customer and your rate plan will not change as long as you continue to make your payments.  Let's keep the conversation going.
Public Mobile"

thanks, north450.

how quickly we forget.

they are going to get us to switch companies, then jack up the price.

if anything, prices with all networks should be going down.

kav2001c  wrote:  "The Competition Bureau told Telus when they took over they MUST price protect for 12 months (only). This was 3 years ago. If they change plans today it is totally legal."

if that is true, and if it applies to grandfathered plans, then i guess i'll just grab my ankles and smile.

otherwise, as someone already asked, yes, there are some laws that would prevent something like this.  for instance...

False or Misleading Representations and Deceptive Marketing Practices Under the Competition Act

The Competition Act contains provisions addressing false or misleading representations and deceptive marketing practices in promoting the supply or use of a product or any business interest. All representations, in any form whatever, that are false or misleading in a material respect are subject to the Act. If a representation could influence a consumer to buy or use the product or service advertised, it is material.

or how about PM just being a stand-up company and doing what they said they would.

i am amazed how easy going some people's posts have been.  like all this havoc is just a part of being alive in the 21st century.

i'm very disappointed, to say the least.

well, that's my opening salvo.

Need Help? Let's chat.