cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big News: We just launched even better rate plans!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We’ve got great news!  We listened to your feedback on our pricing and plan options and are excited to announce that we are launching new plan options today!

We encourage you to check out the new plan options here or at publicmobile.ca/selfserve to understand which plan best meets your needs and so you receive the biggest bang for your buck. Below is a summary of some of the major changes.

We are saying hello to:

• 2GB on a 30 day plan - We know this has been something all of you have been pushing for!
  • 3GB on a 90 day plan - We wanted to simplify the data options so we have removed the 1 GB and 4GB options and added a 3GB option for 90 days.

We are saying goodbye to:

• Canada Wide Text - Global text will be the only text option going forward.
  • 1GB and 4GB on a 90 day plan
  • 6GB on a 30 day plan - Very few customers were taking advantage of this plan.

With this pricing change, we want to leverage the new pricing of the 6GB, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text (now $120), to showcase this awesome plan:

CommunityPostPricingPromov3.jpg

We think that this plan will be a home-run, worthy of a Bautista bat flip!

Most plans are either cheaper or have more for the same price, but a few plans will be more expensive. If you like what you see, you can go ahead and make changes to your current plan.  But don’t worry – if you want to keep your current plan as-is, you will be able to do so.  No problem.

Below we have a list of FAQs. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

A huge thanks to all of you who took the time to give us your feedback. We are constantly incorporating your ideas to make Public Mobile better for everyone.

Public Mobile Community team 

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What happens if I sign up for a more expensive plan right before the rate plan options change? Am I able to change my plan without a penalty?

Customers who are on a 90 day plan and have used less than 45 days of service will be able to have their plan changed or credited. The chart below outlines a couple of scenarios and how Public Mobile will assist you so that you receive the best value for your money.

Scenario

Action

You are on a 90-day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

If you have used less than 45 days of service, we can either: (1) credit you the difference between your existing rate and the new rate for a plan with the same options or (2) update your existing plan to the new suite of plans. If you take advantage of the credit, it will be one time only. After then, you are expected to update your plan options to the one that best meets your needs.

Be sure to take action quickly if you want to take advantage of the new plan options.

If you have used more than 45 days of service, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you have used more than half of your existing plan.

That being said, you are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 30 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

Sorry, since you are on a short term plan we won’t be able to credit or change your rate plan.

You are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 10 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

As with the 30 day plan, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you are on a short term plan.

You can future date your plan for the next billing cycle.

You update your plan options, but then realize you would like to go back to your old plan

You won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after moving to the new suite of plan options. Be sure that you want to switch before you do!

1. Am I able to keep my current plan if I am happy with it?

Yes! You will be able to keep your existing plan. If you later decide you would like to take advantage of the new rate plan options, then just log in to publicmobile.ca/selfserve. However, you won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after renewing with the new rate plan options.

1. Why has the Canada-wide text option been removed?

The option has been removed in order to simplify the plan experience for customers. We also want to provide customers with the peace of mind that, while you are in Canada, you will be able to receive and send text messages from all over the world. @srlawren recently shared an improvement idea on our Public Lab saying that we should allow iMessaging confirmation texts to go through regardless of your text plan. This idea stemmed from the fact that some Canada-wide text plan customers weren’t receiving text messages from companies like Apple, who send messages from various locations around the world, notifying you to turn on your iMessage. With a global text option, you will no longer have to worry about this problem!

1. Why isn’t there a plan for heavy data users?

We think our sweet spot is medium data users, which is why the largest data plan is 12GB for 90 day customers and 4GB for 30 day customers. This is something that we will continue to re-evaluate based on your feedback.

Feel free to post any of your questions here, and we will be sure to get back to you. 

261 REPLIES 261

libor
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

i activated my sim card two days ago. kept the same number i had with mobilicity.  data and outgoing calls work but no incoming calls and texts.

gabrieljb

Wish I had known about the credited difference earlier...I didn't see this anywhere.

I was about a month into my 90 day plan when this offer popped up, so I tried switching it but was prompted to pay the full $120 (therefore losing 2 months of paid service). I might be going out of country around when my plan expires. 

I wish there was more flexibility with plan add-ons, since I got my current plan I had a need for international and out-of-ordinary calling and with no minutes add-on, I've been really inconvienianced.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @since1864!

You can do the plan change from selfserve and chose the option to change on your next renewal date.  This way you won't lose any remaining days from your current plan.  How far is your next plan renewal date?

Sign into your account at https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca

From the overview page, below "Account Status", you can see your plan listed and a link that says "Change Plan"

imm1304

@hugomoran, Je demande le modérateur de la communauté pour vous aider à résoudre le problème.  @Mary_M

since1864
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey guys,

I am right now with the 4GB plan, trying to upgrade to the 6GB plan. I think the cost of plan is the same. Canadian wide long distance, 90 days, with text and 4GB = $135 before, now the difference is from 4GB to 6GB. How can I do it? Thanks

srlawren

Hi @hugomoran,

Sorry, Google Translate did not do a very good job translating your post into English for me, so I'm not completely sure what you were saying.  If you are in need of help, could I suggest that you visit the French version of the community, here:  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Communaut%C3%A9-Public-Mobile/ct-p/Public_Mobile_Commu...?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@fisher that was a good one Cat LOL

hugomoran

jai demande 3 fois et il me sont dit on vas arranger ca et rien qui vas me retourner mon argent que je gaspier sans utiliser mon cell commet vous pensez que je me sens en plus vous charger un autre moi sans demander si c correct. colin

hugomoran

jai demande 3 fois et il me sont dit on vas arranger ca et rien qui vas me retourner mon argent que je gaspier sans utiliser mon cell commet vous pensez que je me sens en plus vous charger un autre moi sans demander si c correct :catfrustrated

:

fisher
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

good plan for 90 days 6G

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
i came here for it !!!!Smiley Very Happy

@deyneko1 couple things I will point out

Public has LTE data

Chatr has crippled data (they claim is 3G but as many posters have shown, different plans get different speeds)

Public is on Telus network 

Chatr is on Rogers network

Depending where you live this is a huge difference, the 2 are nowhere near similar

Chatr is $35

Public is $42 BUT you can get discounts, the most common being 90 day subscriptions or preauthorized payments. Also in your case you would get a referal bonus from other line

Public NET cost is $37 ($121 plan (90 day) - $6 autopay - $3 refer, and thats assuming you never got a credit from posting online here)

I also would point out the Public plan is even better value if you add data

Chatr $40

Public $39

Also since a few people seem not to realize this; Read the fine print carefully, all kinds of stuff will cost you extra (eg send a picture message thats an extra $0.50, here on Public unlimited really means unlimited)

Public Mobile uses the Telus network, chatr uses the Rogers network.  Telus and Rogers have very similar 3G HSPA+ and 4G LTE infrastructure in place, Rogers also has GSM, Telus also has CDMA (until 2017, anyways).  Public Mobile's talk and text are unlimited all the time (within Local, Province-wide, or Canada-wide plan) and data is available anywhere anytime on the network.  While chatr's coverage is divided into chatr Network, chatr Data, chatr Local, Province-Wide, and Canada-Wide "zones" which impose a variety of conditions about where and when and how much talk/text/data you can access across differing areas.  (This could really suck if you commute, move around, or travel a lot, even if through a single major urban area.)

So PM's coverage is more generally more comprehensive than chatr's coverage, and PM's plans are generally simpler and less restrictive and less costly overall than chatr's.  But chatr can indeed be a better choice if you select the right plan, and you happen to call from (and call to) certain specific areas within the chatr's segregated "coverage zones".

Yes, I don't feel PM's new plan structure is at all an improvement over PM's old plan structure.  I do happen to enjoy a "grandfathered" old plan but I'm finding it was far easier to capture peoples' attention with the old prices than the new ones.  But, hey, everybody used to scream about raising the data limits and now you've all gotten exactly what you wanted - except there's sacrifices attached, lol.

srlawren

Hi @deyneko1,

The 90 day, Canada-wide talk plus global text would cost you $121 for 90 days, which is equivalent to $40.89 per calendar month, which is admittedly more than Chatr.  Bear in mind that Chatr charges extra if you use services outside of their zones.  EDIT: actually it appears that on the Canada-wide plan, calling is included throughout the Chatr network.

PM really provides the best value when you select all 3 services.  For example, if you take that same 90 day plan and add 3GB of data (approx 1GB average per month), the plan goes up by only $5/90 days, to $126.  That is eqivalent to $42.58 per calendar month.  So, effectively, you can add a gig of data to the plan you were talking about for only $1.69 per calendar month.  This is a steal, if you can benefit from some mobile data.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

deyneko1

Hi,

I brought to PM my wife to Public mobile from Chatr in the beginning of the Summer.

Today I wanted to bring my daughter.. But I was surprised with new plans... Smiley Sad

It seems that for example Chatr has more advantages right now for us (if we don't use a lot of data).

Chatr: Canada talking + World text = 35/month

Public mobile:  Canada talking + Word text = 42/month!

Even if I choose in PM : Province talking (not Canada) + World text = 37 or 35.33 - 6 = 29.33 if you pay for 3 months in forward.

I am really sad about this so called "Ever better rate plans!".

Time to go back to Chatr?

imm1304
Hi @Abiola!

You will keep your rewards and loyalty standing etc. So go ahead and change to a plan of your choice.

If you are less than 45 days into your current plan, you must send a plan change request to Mary or Shazia via private message and they will do a pro rated refund so you don't lose what you already paid for.

Also, with the new plans you will get global text so that you will be able to enter all contests without trouble.

Abiola

My autopay and loyalty rewards will remain if I switch plans, right?

It's great--I can switch to my 1GB $90 for 90 days plan to 3GB $111 for 90 days, paying only $7 more per month for 2 GB more. I think most users will love this. But I'm a light data user. I've come close but never, gone over 1GB in my 90 day term. I wish there was a 1.5GB or 2GB plan for 90 days.

I'll keep my grandfathered plan. I like it. The only problem is the issues with the Canada-wide text when I enter Canadian contests by texting a number that PM says is out of the country (because the contest provider has a U.S. location) so it doesn't go through.

pm1

These plans (especially the 90 days data plan) are really good!

edwinx
Thanks Mary!

Maria555

Thank you!

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good morning @edwinx

Thank you for reaching out to us!

I have received your private message and I will attend to it shortly.  It will be my pleasure to help you with your plan change 🙂

Cheers!

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

srlawren

@edwinx no, you won't be able to do this yourself.  Please send @Mary_M a prviate message.  Let her know your PM phone number, and what plan you wish to change to.  She will be able to do this for you.

If you're not sure how to send a private message, or view any responses you may get from Mary, please see the instructions here;  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Private-Messages-viewing-and-creating/...

edwinx

ok, so I qualified.  How do I contact someone at Public Mobile to assist me with this?  I tried to change plans but there isn't enough funds in my account to change it.  I understand I have to cancel it, get credit, then get the new plan to get the new prices, right?

@edwinx wrote:

I just renewed (auto pay) my plan on Aug 23 and it is the old price.  Am I able to take advantge of these new plans?

I am on:

- 90 days

- provincial talk

- canada wide text

- 6gb

Thanks, 

Yes you can. Info are listed in the first post of this thread. Have a look under scenarios. 

edwinx

I just renewed (auto pay) my plan on Aug 23 and it is the old price.  Am I able to take advantge of these new plans?

I am on:

- 90 days

- provincial talk

- canada wide text

- 6gb

Thanks, 

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Maria555

I'm sorry about this, 

Can you please reboot your phone? I have made the changes for you. 

Thanks, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Maria555

Hi, I'm having issues on changing my plan.

Basically I was paying $120/90 days for 4 gb, province-wide calling, unlimited text.My plan was finished today and I wanted to change it to the new $120/90 days for 6gb, province-wide calling, unlimited text.

I went to pay for this new plan but it only renewed my old plan and said I could not change it.

Can someone please assist me in fixing this? Thanks.

vanessapage

Great news! I refered someone to get the same plan as me ($105/90 Canada-wide, 1GB) but now he can get 6GB for only a little bit more. Woohoo!

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @joaqizzle

I'm sorry to hear about this, 

Can you reboot your phone? I have made the changes for you. 

Please let us know if the issue is still present. 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

kzjkd6

I'm very disappointed by your rate plan chages.  I've been bragging on the value of your Canada Wide talk / text / and 1GB over 90 day plan that I just set up on my phone.  I ordered my wife a sim card as well and now that I go to activate her's I'm being forced to pay more for services we don't need.  The 1GB option was perfect for us and we don't care about international text.  Very disappointed.  I'm trying to get off Rogers pay as you go because their service is so bad but wish there were still a good low-cost option through you guys.  

joaqizzle

Hello,

I am currently on the 90 Day plan for  $120 with 4GB Data, Unlimited Province-Wide Talk, and Unlimitted Canada-Wide Text. However, I should be on the newer 90 Day $120 Plan with 6GB Data, Unlimited Province-wide Talk, and Unlimited Global Text... I received a notification for this new plan via the Public Mobile text notifications on August 8th and requested a plan change on that same day (6 days prior to my plan renewal). However, when the plan renewal date came, my plan did not change and now I am still on my previous plan...

Also a second issue I found was that also I have Province-wide text/call, Public Mobile does not let me text or call my friend with a 236-XXX-XXXX number even though its within my province (BC).

Can you help me sort out my plan, changing it to the new 90 Day $120 Plan with 6GB Data, Unlimited Province-wide Talk, and Unlimited Global Text? I've sent a message via the Contact Us interface twice and have not received a response... it has been over a week now.

I shouldn't have a problem texting/calling my friend with the 236 number with the new plan once its changed, but thought I'd bring it to your guys' attention. Thank you. 

Need Help? Let's chat.